Sleeper Project Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeper Project Anyone?

I happen to have an extra LQ4 that would go good with this.....

1986 Ford LTD Brougham 57K miles - $3500 (Splendora) hide this posting unhide
    < image 1 of 15 >
    70' Chevelle RagTop
    (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

I remember when these where $500

Comment

I know...crazy isn't it? You damned near couldn't give one of those things away several years back....even grandma fresh like this one.
      70' Chevelle RagTop
      (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

You still couldn't give me that turd.

Comment

I have a friend with one that has really low miles on it, stripper package with a 2.3, couldn't get 2k for it. I kinda want it and a 2.3t for a daily.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
            ...a 2.3t for a daily.
            LOL, only a good idea if you own your own tow truck.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
              LOL, only a good idea if you own your own tow truck.
              You know, the SVO's had a bad connotation of reliability, but the thunderbirds didn't. Ever notice that?
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

You know, the SVO's had a bad connotation of reliability, but the thunderbirds didn't. Ever notice that?
                I only knew one person back in the day with a Turbo Coupe. It was reliable, but it was also mostly stock, only a few years old and the owner was a Ford Tech. They're probably fine engines if you leave them alone but nobody ever leaves them alone.

Comment

I only knew one person back in the day with a Turbo Coupe. It was reliable, but it was also mostly stock, only a few years old and the owner was a Ford Tech. They're probably fine engines if you leave them alone but nobody ever leaves them alone.
                  My SVO was my only car for a while, and after fixing the coolant hose maze and the loose/lack of grounds, it was just as good as any other 20yo car should be.

Comment

Mostly because Mustang owners were idiots that cranked the boost up too far and blew them up?

My mom daily drove an 87 from 2012-2015. Bone stock and 100% reliable. Actually got 27mpg average.

Comment

I don't know where you got that idea, but yes the Thunderbirds sure did blow up, especially the '87-88s with that tiny IHI turbo. The '87-88s also had notoriously weird electrical problems and a horrible "programmable ride control" suspension.

The deal is that those '80s 2.3t cars were nearly maxed out stock. Anything you did to get the performance up would identify your next failure point. Fuel pump. Ignition. Vane meter. Injectors. Little T-5. 9" clutch. 7.5 rear end. All that shit is maxed out at around 250whp with a T3, and the IHI cars wouldn't make that without murdering the turbo.

Now if we're talking about the Ecoboost 2.3t, I could get a little more excited.
                      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                        I don't know where you got that idea, but yes the Thunderbirds sure did blow up, especially the '87-88s with that tiny IHI turbo. The '87-88s also had notoriously weird electrical problems and a horrible "programmable ride control" suspension.

The deal is that those '80s 2.3t cars were nearly maxed out stock. Anything you did to get the performance up would identify your next failure point. Fuel pump. Ignition. Vane meter. Injectors. Little T-5. 9" clutch. 7.5 rear end. All that shit is maxed out at around 250whp with a T3, and the IHI cars wouldn't make that without murdering the turbo.

Now if we're talking about the Ecoboost 2.3t, I could get a little more excited.
                        connotation.

Comment

connotation.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post

I was surprised how much more the VAM, injectors, turbo, and computer could handle once passed the head limitation. Lots more misinformation than information on the 2.3T, both before and after the internet came along.
                            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                            86 SVO - Sold
                            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                              I was surprised how much more the VAM, injectors, turbo, and computer could handle once passed the head limitation. Lots more misinformation than information on the 2.3T, both before and after the internet came along.
                              I agree - as long as you're talking about 85.5 and 86 SVO stuff. The smaller, earlier parts just plain sucked.

My '80 hatch had the complete driveline from an '86 swapped in, which means it had the PE computer and bigger VAM and injectors and .48 AR T3. This car was a lot of fun, but damn if it wasn't broken all the time. At least it was easy to fix.

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Working...
                              X