Lowdown on Off-road parks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jose View Post
    Understood. Hopefully this might be a somewhat regular thing and you can make it sometime.
    Definitely. That’s my whole purpose in selling my ‘07 That thing is absolutely pristine and tight for an 07. Looking forward to some get-togethers.

David

Comment

• Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
      Definitely. That’s my whole purpose in selling my ‘07 That thing is absolutely pristine and tight for an 07. Looking forward to some get-togethers.

David
      Right on.

I remember watching an episode of Top Gear USA where they went off roading. One of the guys had an FJ and did pretty well considering what they other two guys were driving.

Comment

• Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
        Chili, have you been to Bridgeport before?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
        Just a couple times, posted a couple of pics in here.

Comment

• Originally posted by jluv View Post
          I’m not scared of rain, I just don’t find excessive mud that enjoyable. It gets everywhere (as you well know), and I don’t care to track it inside my truck or all over my shoes and clothes.
          Lol, yeah I know..

Originally posted by jluv View Post
          Jose, I have all of the items that Craig mentioned above, and I’ll be happy to show you. I have a kinetic rope, I’ve yet to use it, but I’m a fan of a regular strap. You don’t want to try to yank anyone out with one, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get someone unstuck. You just ease into the pull until the slack is gone, much like using a winch. Even with a kinetic rope, I’m not a big fan of sudden yanking on anything. Maybe I’ll change my mind if/when I ever use one.
          Very true.. Just not super effective when a small 4x4 is trying to get a large truck out of a snow drift.. Seems like I have seen one used like that..

Originally posted by Jose View Post
          Craig, excellent information! Thanks for sharing. I think I'm going to start by buying some non kinetic recovery straps and some quality hardware. I'll have to do some reading up on the F150 forums to see about vehicle specific stuff. Speaking of which, because of the placement of the intercooler, there is not an easy way to mount a winch because it get blocked.

Anyway, I'm in for Saturday. Picked up my sticker today so I'm ready. I don't mind a little rain, just don't want to be out there in a down pour or if it's been raining for a couple of days or so. Meeting up after 10am or so is fine with me to. I guess we can figure out more details later in the week. If we want to cookout there I have a small grill I can bring.

I know he's been at least once.

Same for me on the wench but for a different reason.

Thanks for the info Jared. I've heard good things about the Maxtrax and seen some people I follow on YouTube use them. Might be something to look into as well

cobrajet69, for some reason I was thinking an older FJ like a 30 or 40. Still, it boggles my mind that the one you have is a 2 wheel drive version. Clean ride. You going to try and make it out there?
          I saw same folding traction boards from one of the Overland Expo videos from last year, and they looked like a good alternative to maxtrax because they actually fold up pretty small. I haven't had traction issues where those would have helped, but could see needing them depending on weather and location.

Clearly I barely scratched the surface on what's out there and good things to know, but 99% of the time experience and a good line is all you need. Honestly, I have never been stuck.. IMO, the most important thing is to know your vehicle. Get comfortable with it's dimensions and tire location, based on your perspective from the drivers seat, and know how it handles and what to expect in different situations.

Ultimately, that's why I took the Jeep out to Bridgeport right after buying it, a couple of times. I still haven't had to use the winch, but as often as we are very remote and alone, it was a must have for me. That said, I did plenty of offroad stuff without one, just staying conservative and being willing to turn around if unsure.

Jluv - Found a couple pics I took of the more challenging area:

Attached Files

Comment

• For Jose.. I actually found Ronny Dahl's channel on youtube when looking for info on recovery gear a few years ago. I like his trips videos and mostly watch those now, but he has some decent videos on recovery gear and how to use it.. Here are a few:

Comment

• Looks like the weather is currently showing clear for Sat. When it rains they shut down the parks so the trails don't get tore up..

Bridgeport FB page, they give a weekly update on Thursday/Friday if the park will be open for the weekend.

I've got myself on the UTV and 2-4 guys showing up with Jeeps / FJ from my work.. Everyone will be in their daily drivers as well - but want to get into it, have fun without breaking anything..
              WRX

Comment

• Great videos Craig. Sat here and watched everyone of them. For a newb like me they will come in handy. Thanks for sharing!

David

Comment

• I just got a Kawi Teryx UTV, I'm guessing I should pick up some control arm skid plates and a winch ASAP. What are the best places to take it around here?
                  Climbing up rocks doesn't seem very fun and it appears to have a high risk of fucking up equipment, am I missing something?
                  Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

• Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                    I just got a Kawi Teryx UTV, I'm guessing I should pick up some control arm skid plates and a winch ASAP. What are the best places to take it around here?
                    Climbing up rocks doesn't seem very fun and it appears to have a high risk of fucking up equipment, am I missing something?
                    There are a lot of trails at Bridgeport. You would be fine there. Also up North of DFW is Rocky Ridge and Red River Motorcycle Trails.
                    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

• Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                      I just got a Kawi Teryx UTV, I'm guessing I should pick up some control arm skid plates and a winch ASAP. What are the best places to take it around here?
                      Climbing up rocks is crazy fun! Decreasing/overcoming/embracing the risk of fucking shit up (with mods, skill, experience, and a little luck) is what makes it fun.

That said, I’m in a truck and not a UTV.
                      Last edited by jluv; 02-05-2019, 09:01 PM.

Comment

• Getting pretty excited for this. The 42s are going on tomorrow. Shocks Thursday. Hope to have my driveline angles dialed in Friday.

Make room!

Comment

• Originally posted by jluv View Post
                          Getting pretty excited for this. The 42s are going on tomorrow. Shocks Thursday. Hope to have my driveline angles dialed in Friday.

Make room!
                          You driving Henry Saturday? Also looks like temps are going to be in the 40's all day. Anybody backing out?? I know that doesn't scare Jared LOL!

Comment

• In!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

• Originally posted by Jose View Post
                              You driving Henry Saturday? Also looks like temps are going to be in the 40's all day. Anybody backing out?? I know that doesn't scare Jared LOL!
                              Yep, driving Henry.

Comment

• Sweet! I'll wait for Craig to chime in and we can figure out a time to meet.

Comment

Working...
                                X