Texas police officer shoots dog, kills woman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas police officer shoots dog, kills woman

An Arlignton, Texas, police officer trying to shoot at a barking dog killed the woman he was there to help during a welfare check, authorities say.

CNN) A Texas police officer trying to shoot at a barking dog killed the woman he was there to help during a welfare check, authorities say.

The woman has been identified as Margarita Brooks, Arlington Police Chief Will Johnson said at a press conference Friday.

A caller reported a woman passed out in a grassy area in Arlington on Thursday evening. Arlington police officers, the fire department and EMS were dispatched to the scene to conduct a welfare check, officials said.

When the officer approached the woman, he noticed an unrestrained dog nearby, the Arlington Police Department said in a statement.

"As the officer called out to the woman repeatedly concerning her welfare, the dog began to run towards the officer while barking. The officer retreated backwards from the running dog while drawing his duty firearm," police said. "The officer discharged his firearm multiple times towards the dog. After the shots were fired, the woman yelled out and it was apparent she was injured."
    Brooks was taken to a local hospital and pronounced dead. Preliminary information shows she was struck by gunfire from the officer, according to the police.

The Arlington Police Department is carrying out both a criminal and an administrative investigation, Johnson said.

A police body-worn camera captured the incident and the footage will be used in the investigation, authorities said.

The dog is in quarantine at the Arlington Animal Shelter, Johnson said. Police are looking into reports that the animal may have been grazed by a bullet.

Arlington is west of Dallas and has a population of about 365,000.

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post

Arlington is west of Dallas and has a population of about 365,000.
    Make that 364,999

Comment

Crazy

Comment

Originally posted by coley View Post
        Make that 364,999
        The homeless don’t count.

Why aren’t we excited that the cop didn’t kill a dog for a change?
        Originally posted by PGreenCobra
        I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
        Originally posted by Trip McNeely
        Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
        dont downshift!!
        Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post

Why aren’t we excited that the cop didn’t kill a dog for a change?

He probably would have if he wasn't such a skittish rookie while retreating. Wow, looks like they are hiring from the bottom of the barrel. That guys initial reaction to a dog scares me that he shouldn't be a cop at all.

Comment

He was a detention officer for many years prior.

I feel for the guy. He's a rookie in every since of the word. Graduated the Academy this year and has only been doing patrol on his own for a month. I watched the body cam footage. That dog charged him hard and he overreacted and made the mistake by trying to accurately shoot a moving object while in retreat. However, this is just a tragic accident. Nothing more. In no way after watching the full video could anyone with common sense claim this is was intentional. Just a wet behind the ears rookie that made a rookie mistake. I'm sure they'll find him dead as a result of suicide at some point while he's on leave. Can't imagine the guilt. And how many times he's played out that situation in his head.

Comment

was he shooting with his eyes closed?

Comment

Fucking pussy.

Comment

What a fucken pansy. I deal with aggressive dogs on a regular basis. My typical tactic when a dog is charging me is to run full speed at them making a lot of noise in the process. If they don't back down an ass kicking for them is coming.

Was it the woman's dog?
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                    was he shooting with his eyes closed?
                    The video sucks but my theory is, if she was laying down, one ran down the concrete and got her. A Arlington Fire Captains daughter at that. I have pepper spray, asp, and boot, then pistol if all else fails. Pits are the only wild cards. Those stupid MF's can be crazy.

I almost got the shit bit out of me once. Alarm call, we figured out how to get in back fence, got to the back door and a Neapolitan Mastiff was quietly laying there. Big bastard actually jumped at my arm and snapped once but he was slow, we dodged and juked, then I out ran my partner out of the fence. When it first came at us I told him no way we injure this dog. We broke into his yard. I had an alert put on that residence. Fucked up part is, next time we went on alarm call there I realized the back fence was chain link! It was a huge ass pie shaped yard. Don't judge. Also I always take my sunglasses off when dealing with dogs. They hate it when they can't see your eyes.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                      The video sucks but my theory is, if she was laying down, one ran down the concrete and got her. A Arlington Fire Captains daughter at that. I have pepper spray, asp, and boot, then pistol if all else fails. Pits are the only wild cards. Those stupid MF's can be crazy.

I almost got the shit bit out of me once. Alarm call, we figured out how to get in back fence, got to the back door and a Neapolitan Mastiff was quietly laying there. Big bastard actually jumped at my arm and snapped once but he was slow, we dodged and juked, then I out ran my partner out of the fence. When it first came at us I told him no way we injure this dog. We broke into his yard. I had an alert put on that residence. Fucked up part is, next time we went on alarm call there I realized the back fence was chain link! It was a huge ass pie shaped yard. Don't judge. Also I always take my sunglasses off when dealing with dogs. They hate it when they can't see your eyes.
                      I took a class once where we learned how to skip bullets down concrete. They tend to skim about 6 in off the ground for a very long distance and we demonstrated that by putting up targets at periodic intervals.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Come on guys, it's scary out there. He tried his best.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                          He was a detention officer for many years prior.

I feel for the guy. He's a rookie in every since of the word. Graduated the Academy this year and has only been doing patrol on his own for a month. I watched the body cam footage. That dog charged him hard and he overreacted and made the mistake by trying to accurately shoot a moving object while in retreat. However, this is just a tragic accident. Nothing more. In no way after watching the full video could anyone with common sense claim this is was intentional. Just a wet behind the ears rookie that made a rookie mistake. I'm sure they'll find him dead as a result of suicide at some point while he's on leave. Can't imagine the guilt. And how many times he's played out that situation in his head.
                          By accident you mean negligent homicide right?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                            By accident you mean negligent homicide right?
                            Yeah I have no doubt it was unintentional but the dude should be fired and charged the same way any ordinary citizen would be if they opened fire on a dog and killed someone. It won't happen though
                            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

This comes to mind since they are so trigger happy. Its like its SOP these days to shoot the doggos.

Comment

Working...
                              X