DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > The Garage > Tech

Tech Automotive Tech, Ford, Chevy, if it's tech, it's in here.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #1
Darren M
Horse Trader

Default Need a bit of help finding a screw. (Not that kind you degenerates)

Looking for a screw/bolt and have been Googling so much, I'm confusing the shit out of myself. Yes, I'm a maroon, suck at the googles, etc.

Diameter: 1/2"
Thread: fine - 20tpi?
length:3/8" - 1/2" (Could be longer, I'll cut it.)
Head: Hex (preferred but I'll use what ever.)

Cant be nylon/plastic
Something like this...
Only need 2 of them but will buy in quantity if necessary. Also, not afraid of alternatives.

There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.
Darren M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
Stangs 4 Life
Punk Ass Newbie

https://www.fastenal.com/product/fas...sExpanded=true
Stangs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
Big A
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren M View Post
Looking for a screw/bolt and have been Googling so much, I'm confusing the shit out of myself. Yes, I'm a maroon, suck at the googles, etc.

Diameter: 1/2"
Thread: fine - 20tpi?
length:3/8" - 1/2" (Could be longer, I'll cut it.)
Head: Hex (preferred but I'll use what ever.)

Cant be nylon/plastic
Something like this...
Only need 2 of them but will buy in quantity if necessary. Also, not afraid of alternatives.

It's called a set screw, and they are typically metric, you can get them at hardware stores or Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
Darren M
Horse Trader

Never even thought about looking at Fastenal. Hit up Grainger and McMaster already and their selector sucked. Thanks for the link.

Yeah, set screw. Just never thought that name would stick at the 1/2" od level.

Thanks ya'll!
There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
Mach1
rm -rf /

Angle grinder and a cutoff wheel could make one easily in a bind, cut a slot for a flathead to drive it
Old 12-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
Darren M
Horse Trader

Yeah. Could go the "all thread" route and do just that w/ the grinder. However, I've got time and it's a non-pressurized plug for a horizontal band saw gear box. Going to drill/tap and put in gear fluid changing fill and drain holes. Turd polishing at its best. I just hate the thought of having to remove the gear box cover to change fluid. Talk about a mess waiting to happen.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
barronj
Lifer

I can't exactly picture what you're talking about, but I had a hydraulic pump that would leak, the fill port was on the side of the pump reservoir and it was a set screw with a hex head like pictured above. I didn't want to fix the leak because of where the piston was and a few other reasons, but pulling that plug out was precarious and the tight confines made refilling the fluid a messy challenge because of where it was mounted, so I bought a brass 90į elbow, male on both sides I believe, and a cap that sealed it up. I could more easily add fluid this way.

Larger diameters though- transmission fill & drain plugs come to mind.

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."
barronj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #8
dsrtuckteezy
DON = Fucking awesome

if youre making fill/drain holes, why does it have to be a set screw? just use a regular bolt.
dsrtuckteezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #9
Darren M
Horse Trader

Yup, making a fill/drain hole.Would prefer not to have a head. Just a screw, hex for a clean look. If necessary, I'll go with a normal bolt but since I'm drill/tap/seal from scratch I figured I'd make it the way I want. 1/2”-20tpi by 3/8” long would be ideal.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:09 PM   #10
JV106
Time Served

How is it going to seal without a shoulder and gasket? Also, unless the threads are tapered itíll just spin all of the way inside of whatever youíre filling.
JV106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:49 PM   #11
Darren M
Horse Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV106 View Post
How is it going to seal without a shoulder and gasket? Also, unless the threads are tapered itíll just spin all of the way inside of whatever youíre filling.
Loctite Red..
Something like this but hex head.
Sorry, huge image warning.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #12
JV106
Time Served

I get it. Youíre looking for a NPT plug. It has tapered threads which bind and seal.
JV106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:34 PM   #13
Darren M
Horse Trader

And THAT is why I continue to post here. Yes, that's what I'm hunting. Damn, now I need an NPT tap AND plug. Bigger than 3/8” od.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:55 AM   #14
shumpertdavid
You Can't Fix Stupid

Hardware store or auto parts store for the pipe plug, 1/2npt is what you standard differential fill plugs are.
www.rusertmachine.com Midland,TX 432 684-7644
shumpertdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #15
4EyedTurd
Lifer

They do make allen head pipe thread plugs if you’re tight on room
4EyedTurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #16
Darren M
Horse Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumpertdavid View Post
Hardware store or auto parts store for the pipe plug, 1/2npt is what you standard differential fill plugs are.
Tada!!