Met with "The Bobs". :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Met with "The Bobs". :(

23 years was a good run I guess. I have til 4/29 to find something else before severance kicks in. Just found out yesterday afternoon. Still kind of numb from it. Its about to be a bloodbath at HPE. They didn't even offer any early retirement to folks (not that I would be eligible.)

I'm polishing my resume' but I keep 2nd guessing myself. It was pretty solid aside from my latest work. You can get 100 different opinions on how to word a resume'. Too much "I", not enough detail, too much detail, try not to be too cliche', balance between honest accomplishments and what appears as bragging, etc etc.

meh, I just had to get it out. Thanks for listening. Gotta stay positive. Gotta keep my sense of humor.

That sucks man, good luck on the hunt. I was at my last place over 10 years when I got laid off, and that stung a bit. I can image how it must be after 23..

Hope your severance is good, at least!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
      I'm polishing my resume' but I keep 2nd guessing myself.
      Just the facts on your resume'. List your jobs and descriptions. In a separate area, list your career accolades. Save your sales pitch and bragging for the cover letter.

Comment

PM sent.

email me your resume if you want. I'll look over it and send you a possible revision or two if you'd like. no charge
        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Sorry to hear. One downside to working at a really large company. At a certain point, you are a number on strategic decisions.
          Ford
          GM
          Toyota
          VAG

Comment

Resume

I owned a private employment service for 20 + years after I left corporate America. Remember that the person looking at your resume will probably know what your former job entailed. That is if you are looking in the same field. Be brief!!! Remember the resume is just to get you in front of the hiring person. A resume should be like a girl's skirt........Long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by quikag View Post
              Sorry to hear. One downside to working at a really large company. At a certain point, you are a number on strategic decisions.
              Aint that the truth? Tenure and ability don't mean squat, other than they look good on a resume.

Comment

Have you been in a technical role at HPE or management?
                70' Chevelle RagTop
                (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

you didn't see the memo about your TPS reports?

Comment

Same thing just came rolling through Ray, another bunch today I'm told.
                    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

That sux man. Best of luck!

David

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
                        Have you been in a technical role at HPE or management?
                        More tech than mgmt. I was a team lead for a few years and recently more of a client service rep, though I continued to handle technical and engineering tasks related to firewall and security.

Comment

it is a shock at first, but this is your opportunity to find something better with more pay.

most IT candidates are hired as contractors and later flipped to FTE. if you happen to go this route, a good "recruiter"/account rep will tweak your resume to be resemble a format their hiring managers are used to seeing. beware (or be aware) most companies post the same job thru multiple vendors, this is usual obvious by the language in the posting - it is not a good idea to apply for the same job thru multiple recruiters or companies.

I took a resume class years ago and one of the things still stuck in my head is, "strive for numbers" and relate them to what you accomplished on the job.
                          your accomplishments should impact the companies "bottom-line" of doing business. (e.g. you make money for the company)
                          • sold XX widgets to YY customers over ZZ years
                          • implemented system improvements that save $$ annually
                          • implemented the large-scale widget counting app project that T&C'd XX months and a $$ budget.

soft-skills are okay, but everybody has them and they don't indicate your applicable experience and what you are capable of

one of my peers in a former life was at the company for 18+ years when there was a mass layoff and she literally did not know how to look for a job in todays "online" world.
                          there is a ton of online help available, use it to the maximum extent.

just remember, it is all for the better in the long run.
                          _
                          Last edited by WhiteMach1; 04-19-2016, 03:39 PM.

Comment

That sucks man. I agree with the brief resume. Unless it's a company with a dedicated hiring manager, most people hiring don't have the time, or take the time to read all that mess.

Also, consider researching staffing agencies. Someone with lots of experience and a track record of staying in one spot is gold for them.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteMach1 View Post
                              soft-skills are okay, but everybody has them and they don't indicate your applicable experience and what you are capable of
                              I can't agree with this point. Soft skills are not as common as most would like, especially in the IT world. We have staffing and recruiting clients and that's a drum they bang on the regular. They wish their candidates had better soft skills. IT can be full of propeller heads and geniuses on the autism spectrum that are difficult to work with. Not disparaging the industry or the aforementioned geniuses, just an opinion with some context.

Comment

Working...
                              X