Headlight Restoration Before/After

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Restoration Before/After

I recently did a set of headlights on a 1998 Mustang. For those of you out there who have oxidized headlamps, there is hope.

600/1000/1500/2000 grit stages of wet sanding followed by machine polishing. I'd be happy to post a write up if enough of you guys will use it!

Before

After

Detailing by Dylan
    817-494-3396
    Meticuloustx7@gmail.com
    Ask about the Pre-Spring special

I would like to see the write up. I bought a kit from AutoZone but it was never that clear and now it has faded again. I would like to do a better job next time.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Write it. I have a 91 gt I'd like to try it on.
      Photobucket

Comment

X2.
        ./ ____ _ _\.
        (]]]_ o _[[[)
        \o_FORD_o/
        |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

Comment

sand 'em and clearcoat 'em

Comment

Those where 2 diff sides. Why the pic of the same headlight? lol
            GOPR0198 by larrychance88

Comment

So was there ever a write up?

Comment

That's a lot of work when you can buy a new housing for $30.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Comment

I can never find a good cleaner

Comment

Crystal view headlight restorer

Comment

I would to see a write up as well.

Comment

I'm gonna be doing this fir a friend. Ill do one if really needed.

Comment

1.) Remove headlights if feasable.

2.) if removal is not desired, tape of bumper and hood to prevent possible sanding marks to clear coated surfaces.

3.) decide if you would like to remove the alignment nipples or not.

4.) sand down headlights using 600 grit to remove all exterior oxidation to the lens. You have to fully remove the factory UV protectant in order to remove all oxidation.

5.) using discretion, either follow with 1000 grit or 1500 grit. Furthermore, proceed to 2000 or 2500 grit. Throughout the sanding stages, be sure to have a cotton terry or microfiber towel readily available to remove the sanded plastic/water mixture in order to evaluate the level of removal achieved.

6.) Utilizing either a PC7424, Megs D/a polisher, rotary or Flex machine(s), attached r
                          a medium to heavy cut pad to remove the sandin marks using various compounds, abd follow up with a polish. The clearer the lens comes out, the greater visibility the driver will have. I personally use Meguiars 105 ultra cut followed by meguiars 205. This process is possible by hands yet will yield extremelybsore hands.

7.) Either have the headlights clearcoates, or at the least, be certain that their is amPle protection on the lens. I have experimented with Opticoat, and it does very well.

TIPS: Although not fully possible, sand in one uniform firection. Second, if 600 git does not dent your lens, use discretion, and go to a lower grit sandpaper. Be sure to use an adequate lubricant to aid withsanding. No, Ky jelly will not work. I use a fawn/water mixture if I run out if Meguiars last touch, which I cut 1:1 for sanding purposes. Also, TAPE TAPE TAPE your shit up. The last thing you need is a repaint. I would recommend using Meguiars brand sandpaper ordered through autodetailingsolutions.net over any OTC brand. The (i believe) nikken made paper does not clog up near as bad as 3m.

Good luck!!
                          Detailing by Dylan
                          817-494-3396
                          Meticuloustx7@gmail.com
                          Ask about the Pre-Spring special

Comment

I did the same to my car over the weekend. I just go 600 - 2000, then rubbing compound followed by a plastic polish (PlastX). Does the trick. A bit of elbow grease needed, especially with the rubbing compound and finer sandpaper, but a nice finish when complete.
                            How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
                              I did the same to my car over the weekend. I just go 600 - 2000, then rubbing compound followed by a plastic polish (PlastX). Does the trick. A bit of elbow grease needed, especially with the rubbing compound and finer sandpaper, but a nice finish when complete.
                              How bad was it? I have one light that's starting to fog over, and it pisses me off. On my Foxes, I'd just buy new lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X