Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palmeiro wants to make MLB comeback

Rafael Palmeiro, 53, says 'no doubt' he can make it back to MLB

Rafael Palmeiro, who is 53 and last played in 2005, said he is thinking about trying to make a comeback. Palmeiro told The Athletic, "there's no doubt in my mind I can do it."

A four-time All-Star first baseman, Palmeiro played for the Chicago Cubs, Texas Rangers and Baltimore Orioles over a 20-year career, racking up more than 500 home runs and 3,000 hits. He is one of only five major leaguers to achieve that feat.

He said he still has something to prove, however. Palmeiro's career ended in 2005, after he was suspended in August for testing positive for steroids. He was the first major league baseball player suspended for steroids. Just months before that, Palmeiro testified at a Congressional hearing about steroids in baseball and said, "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids -- period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never."

Palmeiro, who retired quietly in September 2005 after the 10-game suspension, has always maintained that he never used steroids. "Maybe 12 years later, if I can come back and prove I don't need anything as an older player with an older body, then people might think, OK, maybe he didn't do anything intentionally," Palmeiro said.

The oldest regularly playing position player in Major League Baseball history was Julio Franco, who was 49 when he retired in 2007. "I want to prove to myself I can do it on a high level," Palmeiro said, "then walk away feeling good about the whole body of work."

Baltimore general manager Dan Duquette did not entirely dismiss the notion of giving Palmeiro a shot. "It would be an interesting story," Duquette said. "It's like tying your shoes ... If you can hit, then you can hit."

Palmeiro's son Preston is currently a member of the Orioles organization. The 22-year-old first baseman hit .253 with 13 home runs and 77 RBIs while playing for the team's Class-A affiliate, Delmarva, last season.
    At 53 years old, retired player Rafael Palmeiro is working on a comeback to major league baseball and says, "there's no doubt" in his mind he can make it back.

He's trying to get his name back in the news so HOF voters will remember him. That and he bet his son that he'll beat him to the majors.

Comment

Smokin that good shit.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Julio Franco is more than likely still playing.

Comment

Bring back Pudge and Nolan.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
            Julio Franco is more than likely still playing.
            He retired from professional baseball in 2008 but he bounced around various independent leagues until last year. He's almost 60 now so I doubt he'd hit much outside of a batting cage.

Comment

haha, what a fucking moron...
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Great way to not say that he's probably broke.
                Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
                Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

I didn't do steroids..... okay Lance; I mean Raphie....

Comment

What affect can roids actually do in baseball?
                    I bet basketball player use roids. Still have to have some kind of talent to play

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                      I bet basketball player use roids. Still have to have some kind of talent to play
                      Makes you stronger and quicker
                      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

If I heard correctly the number of Home Runs during the year are less now than it was during the Steroid era.
                        Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                        Up Next - vs. Atlanta

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                          Having followed Lance Armstrong and his saga, some of the other cycling related issues, and listening to things about drugs in the MMA world, the biggest thing seems to be recovery. There are strength benefits for sure, but you also have the ability to recover much quicker (which, in your training is what will lead to bigger gains in strength)- so over 162 games if you're using you'll end up much less beat down than the other guys at the end of the season.

Originally posted by pHILSANITY07 View Post
                          If I heard correctly the number of Home Runs during the year are less now than it was during the Steroid era.

Comment

2017 was a record setting HR year but it's likely related to changes in the ball. MLB trying to recapture some of that excitement of the HR race.

It isn't just recovery you literally add years onto your career and make additional millions as a result ala Clemens, Bonds and Armstrong.

Speaking of cycling I can't wait until the medical and doping community figure out what froome and team sky are doing. Lots of tour winners used epo and rounds before lance. He was late to the party actually he just made the most $$$$ doing it which is why everyone was after him.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                              2017 was a record setting HR year but it's likely related to changes in the ball. MLB trying to recapture some of that excitement of the HR race.

It isn't just recovery you literally add years onto your career and make additional millions as a result ala Clemens, Bonds and Armstrong.

Speaking of cycling I can't wait until the medical and doping community figure out what froome and team sky are doing. Lots of tour winners used epo and rounds before lance. He was late to the party actually he just made the most $$$$ doing it which is why everyone was after him.
                              You had a lot of news coming out about pitchers knowing which ball was different than the others. That's a god point.

In terms of Lance, I wouldn't be surprised if a good portion are taking something. Just look at Russia being banned from the Olympics
                              Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                              Up Next - vs. Atlanta

Comment

Working...
                              X