Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Semi Auto Shotguns? Beretta 1301 Tactical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know what to tell you. Not a single FTF when running Federal. Blasted through a 30 target shotgun only station, then had to hit (2) steel plates at 75 yards with slugs, then 2 steel plates with buckshot. Got top 10 score on that station that day.

So apparently not really the worst you can buy. I know for a fact I beat out Benelli's and Berettas at that station.

I still got like 200th overall lol - I am not good at pistol or rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
      Damn. that sounds fun. how much was the fee to take the class?
      So the class was $265, which I thought was a little pricey then. Looking back now what I have paid for other classes and it's about right for a day on a private range.

I'm actually thinking about signing up for a class there (east of Austin) at the end of the month, it's only $160 but with a different instructor. It's a shotgun/lever action class. Let me know if you want the details.

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
      I put a new buttpad on my 1301 and it really helped.
      So I didn't get the chance to try the instructors 1301, he had a Magpul stock on it with the LOP (length of pull) adjusted to be shorter than stock. Can't remember off hand what is recommended but it's shorter than what is stock and having the shorter LOP is supposed to make it "softer" to shoot.

My shoulder bruised up the day after the class. Considering I won't normally shoot that many rounds through a shotgun I think I did alright. I'll probably do that Magpul stock though and maybe the forend as well.

Comment

Best home defense shotgun.

You just want to shoot in that direction (with little actual aiming) and have a high likelihood of hitting someone. Semi auto. Short for easy storage and ease of whipping it out. Just like Mike's dingaling. I only know cause I saw him try it on some chick at a party. It didn't go well.
        WH

Comment

former Navy Seal and Trainer Sean Ryan doesnt like shotguns for home defence, he actually prefers a PCC. Just some new wisdom i saw, so Jose break out your MPX for the bedside gun =P

Comment

I actually prefer a TAC 14\WitSec 870 for home defense. Try clearing your house with a full size rifle or shotgun. Then try it with something much shorter. You will see the difference quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
              I actually prefer a TAC 14\WitSec 870 for home defense. Try clearing your house with a full size rifle or shotgun. Then try it with something much shorter. You will see the difference quickly.
              SBR or braced AR/AK pistol
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Eh... For inside the house I'd still prefer a shotgun with a pistol at my side. Depending on the distance and the situation, even outside.

Comment

I took Tom Givens 3 day Shotgun Instructors Course a couple of weeks ago at the Dallas Pistol Club. 500 rounds of birdshot, buck shot, and slugs oh my. Surprisingly my shoulder wasn't as beat up as it was the first time I took a one day class. Probably because we spread out my shooting over 3 days.

Shotguns.

More shotguns.

Nice clean range.

This is what cheap buckshot looks like from 10 yards.

This is what Federal Flight Control looks like 10 yards.

Slugs from 20 yards.

Comment

Lots of buckshot between 5 to 15 yards.

Because it was an instructors course and we needed to know how to manipulate a variety of shotguns, we got to shoot a little bit of everything. From a pump Mossberg 590, Remington 870, and Itacha 37 to a Stoeger double barrel and a Benelli M1 (which I hated).

Comment

With all the shotgun reloading we did, I developed "reloading thumb".

Buckshot ricochet was a real thing and we frequently found ball laying around in a variety of distances from the backstop including over 50 yards away.

About to shoot the one of the drills.

Videos aren't uploading so I'll have to post them later.

Pretty good class. Lots of shotgun manipulations with loading from empty, cruiser ready as well as clearing jams. We actually saw quite a few shotguns fail including 2 Beretta 1301's, a Remington 870 and an 1100. Even my 1301 oddly failed for 3 of 4 rounds of buckshot before it started working again. Very odd. What was pretty key for me was knowing how my shotgun patterned with a variety of loads.

Overall a great class. Because it was an instructors class (which I am not), I got to meet a lot of local instructors including a couple I have trained with before. Got to make a lot of connections and got invites to go shooting with. Also got to finally check out the Dallas Pistol Club. First rate facility. Although I only got to check out one of the ranges, I can only imagine with the others looked like.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                        The Mossberg is fine. I have one you can test out if you like. I was the one that mentioned the plastic parts. None of them have failed on me but they are critical parts and are fragile to my eyes.
                        Might be a dumb question but, any chance of replacing those plastic parts with metal? Or better off just to buy a better gun?
                        WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                          Might be a dumb question but, any chance of replacing those plastic parts with metal? Or better off just to buy a better gun?

Earlier in this thread I posted a link to a company that makes performance-oriented replacements parts for the mossberg's.
                          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

First of all, the chances of someone entering your house while you are there are so tiny, it is funny how much thought is put into this concept. Even when I worked in a sketchy area, maybe two in ten years and they were either drug dealers or into some major illegal shit. Now, just in case this should randomly happen to one of you ladies or gentleman, I choose the Shockwave 410 for my bed side table. Sits in a nice little shoulder holder, short and maneuverable, and will damn sure kill you with slugs or buckshot. Plus, my 70 year old mother can shoot it with no problems and it won't deafen you so you can call the police, your lawyer, and then check your savings accounts to make sure you can cover the legal fees. Honestly though, you guys know the castle doctrine, I would just go before the grand jury myself at this point and say, "Well he broke into my house and I shot him". It is usually a bunch of retired folks who do not take kindly to home invasions.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                              First of all, the chances of someone entering your house while you are there are so tiny, it is funny how much thought is put into this concept. Even when I worked in a sketchy area, maybe two in ten years and they were either drug dealers or into some major illegal shit. Now, just in case this should randomly happen to one of you ladies or gentleman, I choose the Shockwave 410 for my bed side table. Sits in a nice little shoulder holder, short and maneuverable, and will damn sure kill you with slugs or buckshot. Plus, my 70 year old mother can shoot it with no problems and it won't deafen you so you can call the police, your lawyer, and then check your savings accounts to make sure you can cover the legal fees. Honestly though, you guys know the castle doctrine, I would just go before the grand jury myself at this point and say, "Well he broke into my house and I shot him". It is usually a bunch of retired folks who do not take kindly to home invasions.
                              Just curious if you've shot and patterned it yet. I like the concept but I've never shot one before and curious as to how it handles, recoils, and patterns.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                                Just curious if you've shot and patterned it yet. I like the concept but I've never shot one before and curious as to how it handles, recoils, and patterns.
                                I have shot it a few times. Almost no recoil compared to a 12ga, like a AR or something, maybe less. IIRC it patterned about 1-2 inches at 15 yards with 3 ball buck, don't quote me on this. Handles all dreamy, and the little short shoulder sleeve holds like 8 extra rounds. You can shoot it like a pistol almost with one hand. I feel like a Pirate when I pull it out.
                                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                                X