Smoked Turkey or Fried???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Turkey or Fried???

I'm thinking about smoking one this year, I've been frying one for almost 10 yrs. Thinking about smoking one instead of frying, thoughts?
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

No poll with Evil Jose as a choice???

I like both, but man it's hard to beat fried turkey. Could be that's because Thanksgiving is the only time I eat it. I'll have smoked turkey throughout the year.

Side note. The kids love when I fry a turkey. They take flaky, canned biscuits and peel the layers apart, drop them in the oil, watch the poof up, drain, to the plate, add powdered sugar... We called them elephant ears as a kid, but it's basically funnel cake in a can.

Comment

Smoked always tastes better as long as you dont dry it it out.

Fried is just waaaaay easier to get right.

Comment

Smoke and then fry it for 10 minutes

BOOM

Comment

brine it first, you'll love smoked.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

If you smoke, brine fo sho.

I’ve lost my lust for fried turkey. I guess frying a few thousand over the years will do that to you. It’s really good right out of the fryer, but it doesn’t reheat well, and I can replicate a fried turkey out of a combi oven. It reheats better, it has more flavor (we can inject the oven birds, but can’t inject the fried ones), and on the scale we do we can do it much more efficiently.
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I've always smoked mine, after brining and they turn out great.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                No poll with Evil Jose as a choice???
                I'm good either smoked or fried thus no poll was necessary

Personally, more experience with fried turkeys and love how "crispy" they come out. That said, I've had some smoked turkey earlier this year and it does hold up well to being juicy after being reheated better it seems.

Comment

I got tired of frying them and switch to smoking a couple years ago. ATBBQ and Meat Church both have good youtube videos on smoking them. Be sure to brine, spatchcock it, seasoned butter between the meat and skin and smoke at 325 is my method, seasoned with Meat Church Honey Hog.

Comment

I was thinking of microwaving one this year to see how it tastes. Should save some time.

Comment

I dig em both. I'll be smoking one and drinking some shine while my wife is making chicken fried deer steaks.

Comment

Fried - I inject with broth and melted butter, hard to beat. Jen brines one and roasts it in the convection oven that's pretty damned tasty too. 500 degrees for 30 mins, then 325 for 2 hours (11-12 lb).
                        We do 1 each way every year, I'll eat turkey for days.

I've just never had a smoked turkey that wasn't dried out. I assume it's possible; my guess is it's probably pretty difficult to do correctly. I've probably tried 10 or more done by 8 different people in a Thanksgiving setting and they've all been just dried out leather. We do ours our way every year b/c the ones we get at the big family get together are pretty underwhelming and there's always a smoked turkey or 2.
                        Last edited by slow99; 11-21-2018, 08:21 PM.
                        Originally posted by davbrucas
                        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                          Fried - I inject with broth and melted butter, hard to beat. Jen brines one and roasts it in the convection oven that's pretty damned tasty too. 500 degrees for 30 mins, then 325 for 2 hours (11-12 lb).
                          We do 1 each way every year, I'll eat turkey for days.

I've just never had a smoked turkey that wasn't dried out. I assume it's possible; my guess is it's probably pretty difficult to do correctly. I've probably tried 10 or more done by 8 different people in a Thanksgiving setting and they've all been just dried out leather. We do ours our way every year b/c the ones we get at the big family get together are pretty underwhelming and there's always a smoked turkey or 2.
                          The first time I smoked a Turkey or was dry...but I didnt brine. As everyone mentions above a proper brine can save your ass and butter helps as well. You can go full on Franklin and soak the damn thing in a tub of butter between slices

Comment

Man I just had some Turkey that my dad smoked and it was miles better than any fried Turkey I've ever had. While it is certainly way easier to fry a Turkey...if you can get it right on the smoker you will win the holidays. But it's also easier to screw up on a smoker so you can quickly lose as well.

Comment

Fried turkeys are good, but smoked turkeys are better if done right and if you enjoy smoked foods. As mentioned above, brine is the key to helping it not being dried out.
                              Originally posted by MR EDD
                              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                              X