Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Youtube Divers recover missing boy in minutes from river. Sherrif refused to help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad things happened in my childhood involving our swimming pool and parents, relatives, thinking it was funny to hold people under water until they almost blacked out, like I can't remember how many times but no one wanted to swim with some of the adults. Hell I was diving in Granbury lake at 12 or something and at about 30/40 feet I ran out of air. Apparently I was also dropped in Possum Kingdom at some point, went off the boat or something at 4 yoa, probably pushed off knowing what I know now! Maybe all my relatives were trying to kill me. I just know my mother hates that lake due to that incident. I agree that is not a good way to die, way better than fire though for sure, or being eaten alive. But if anyone should hate water it is me.

That being said, I think it pushed me to be a better swimmer. There was a time I could hold my breath under water for 7 laps in a 33 foot pool. Scared the shit out of a few life guard's at some point. Intentionally played in the flood waters of the Red River and then sometimes not intentionally. Hell, I can lazily float in a pool for a long time with out using my arms or feet. Medaled in high school for the backstroke and still swim often. I really thought I was a strong swimmer until I tried out for the swim team in high school. Swimming is super easy if you learn the basics like freestyle for sure. Sometimes you got to dance with the devil to learn how to beat him.

I think most people that drown die from panic and or lack of experience. Get your damn kids in a swim class, just don't throw them in the water, how I originally learned how to swim. Talk to them about driving into the lake, what the plan is. I was appalled my wife was in the Navy and never learned how to swim. She did make a good point that the sharks would probably get you but what if you were close to the pier and fell off the boat?
    Last edited by kingjason; 10-19-2020, 02:53 PM.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post

I think most people that drown die from panic and or lack of experience. Get your damn kids in a swim class, just don't throw them in the water, how I originally learned how to swim. Talk to them about driving into the lake, what the plan is. I was appalled my wife was in the Navy and never learned how to swim. She did make a good point that the sharks would probably get you but what if you were close to the pier and fell off the boat?
      This. I've been swimming for as long as I can remember, and not the panicking kind. First day of dive class, I think the dive master had me pegged as the stupid, panicking kind, by the last day of class, I was pegged as the know it all that took this shit seriously. Even now, I know that the biggest enemy while diving is right between the ears.

My mom got the whole, throw you in and see if you can swim style of lesson and she's terrified of the water.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
        I think most people that drown die from panic and or lack of experience. Get your damn kids in a swim class, just don't throw them in the water, how I originally learned how to swim.
        I was a teenager and swimming across a river (to get to a rope swing). There was a lot of broken glass so I was swimming with my chuck Taylors, which was common there. About 2/3 of the way across it was more swift and I got stuck in the current. Because of the shoes I had trouble getting them to the surface to kick and started dipping under. As I was running out of steam someone pulled me up and all I remember him saying was "don't fight me". I was like, "I couldn't if I wanted", I was so exhausted.

Comment

Working...
        X