Is this shitty foundation work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this shitty foundation work?

Getting moms house worked on.. the front of the house feels like there’s a bit of a slope and the report shows the front to be pretty low too.. is this super far out of spec? Or would you consider it satisfactory? I don’t know much about this shit.

Last edited by Tx Redneck; 11-21-2020, 07:38 AM.
    "PSH!!!"

Comment

The original foundation was poured to spec. The poor soil conditions and droughts cause sinking problems. My last house had similar numbers to yours when repaired. Factors like concrete shims vs hardened steel pillars and lifting from weight bearing soil vs lifting from bedrock can create large differences in cost. Shop around, most provide lifetime adjustments as long as you live there. When I moved to Dallas, my realtor told me I would be looking at houses with foundation repair completed or ones that will need repair in future.

edit: you could hire an engineer to get their opinion on the numbers and height variances. The worry would be a failure across the weakest stretch of slab which could do costly damage. Had a friend in Plano whose movement got bad enough that a water piped burst and filled his living room. They had to tear out concrete and replumb...............been assuming slab foundation here, if pier and beam the fix is much easier.
      Last edited by codsack; 11-21-2020, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Sadly, the soil in NTX is about as bad as it gets for building on w/its 9" average, shrink/heave ratio. It even gives pier and beam fits.

Comment

That’s the engineer report less than a week after the repair
          "PSH!!!"

Comment

looks low across the front to me... jack that thing up and shoot in some foam.

mardyn

Comment

If they closed up the cracks in the brick and got the doors working as they should I’d be happy. They build garages to have some fall to the front. That’s shown in their report. The front of the house could’ve always been lower. Tough to say.

Comment

little late now but I would have a structural engineer review it. I had one come out to look at my slab due to some huge cracks running from the back to the front of the house.

I used Isbon Engineering. He came out and said I had less than an inch deflection across my slab.

He did mention that he comes up with a repair plan for you before you call a foundation company.

Comment

Typically I am very pleased with a slab that's plus or minus half an inch.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I found that a lot of foundation companies wouldn't even return my call when they heard I had an engineering report. Olshan, Brown, Metroplex, and more. I had one company come out and estimate $14k. I went with Structural Foundations because they came out with a $6k estimate. They didn't mind the engineer report at all. I asked why the other was so high, and the guy showed me why I didn't need some of the things that place was trying to sell me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                      Sadly, the soil in NTX is about as bad as it gets for building on w/its 9" average, shrink/heave ratio. It even gives pier and beam fits.
                      This.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                        I found that a lot of foundation companies wouldn't even return my call when they heard I had an engineering report. Olshan, Brown, Metroplex, and more. I had one company come out and estimate $14k. I went with Structural Foundations because they came out with a $6k estimate. They didn't mind the engineer report at all. I asked why the other was so high, and the guy showed me why I didn't need some of the things that place was trying to sell me.
                        I had Olshan do 26 piers with cable back in May. Ran me $15k and change. Then came the landscape repairs, new sidewalk etc., etc, etc. Been needing it done for years. New floors mandated it. A very expensive couple of months in the middle or rona and no paychecks.

Took 6-7' to hit bedrock [emoji20]

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
                        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                          This.
                          Is it clay? I don’t understand. In the Northern regions I can see this due to frost and thaw and the constant back and forth. Doesn’t get that cold down in the South at least for that to happen.

Comment

Working...
                          X