Ammo Storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammo Storage?

How do you guys store your ammo? I've been using a bunch of metal surplus ammo cans I bought from someone on the board a few years ago. But due to COVID, not shooting enough/going to the range as frequently, lack of attending any classes, and still buying ammo albeit at higher prices; I've run out of storage.

Not even sure where I can buy more surplus ammo cans locally. Army/Navy surplus? I have a few of the MTM storage boxes that come with bulk ammo that I'm also using. Anyone had any issues with them other than capacity and being as sturdy as the metal cans? Thoughts?

Metal filing cabinets
    Originally posted by Jose View Post
    How do you guys store your ammo? I've been using a bunch of metal surplus ammo cans I bought from someone on the board a few years ago. But due to COVID, not shooting enough/going to the range as frequently, lack of attending any classes, and still buying ammo albeit at higher prices; I've run out of storage.

Thoughts?

Comment

I use these

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Ac.../dp/B00002N9F9

Comment

I have my stock in a large Igloo ice chest with wheels. It keeps the moisture out and I keep it in my closet. Seems to work ok.
        I was moving and had all this ammo stock and for the move I put it in this ice chest for the movers. I just left it in their and it works and is roomy enough. Its heavy as fuck but I don't need to roll it around, just for storage.
        Originally posted by Silverback
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I try and grab a couple .50 cal boxes from HF whenever they're on sale..

Amazing deals on this Metal 0.50 Caliber Ammo Can at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Comment

Costco also had some decently made ammo cans - and then the ones from HF are good too.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Thanks everybody for their response.

Metal filing cabinet would be a no. I'm not simply looking for a place to stash my ammo, but a way to store it where it's protected from humidity. I'm storing my ammo in my basement, and although it's not terribly humid, I've found a couple of loose cardboard boxes of really old ammo in my dads old gun cabinet (not a safe but pretty much an open wooden storage cabinet) that were rusting.

Probably wouldn't trust a cooler for that either as I'd want something with a sealing gasket. I think the Action Packer offers that but I think they are more expensive than the ammo cans. I do want to pick up some good size ones for some of my camping gear (electronics and my drone).

I'm going to look into the ammo cans at HF and Costco. It'll match with what I have, stackable, I know they are sealed, and should be fairly cheap. Thanks.

Comment

I picked up some of these at a LGS once. I may order some here:

https://www.amazon.com/Sheffield-Pla...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Comment

I figured yall were using $400 yeti coolers or something.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                    I picked up some of these at a LGS once. I may order some here:
                    That's basically what I have gotten with some of my bulk ammo orders from PSA. I got a cheaper one from LAX that was pretty flimsy. I use the ones I got from PSA with no problem. The one from LAX I could do without.

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                    Ha!

Comment

I may be nuts, but I'd think most modern coolers be fine for storing bulk ammo if humidity is only reason against them. Just throw in a baggy or two of rice or those packs and be good.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                        I buy Pelican coolers. Just as good but better price. We do have a Yeti, but it was a gift. I prefer the latches on the Pelican way more. I’m not trying to keep ammo cold so no coolers here.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                          I may be nuts, but I'd think most modern coolers be fine for storing bulk ammo if humidity is only reason against them. Just throw in a baggy or two of rice or those packs and be good.
                          Are you talking about cheapy Coleman coolers or a Yeti? When you consider how much ammo weighs, are you going to fill a cooler all the way to the top or half way? Just doesn't seem like it would work. Might be OK if I'm not taking the ammo anywhere, but when I go to the range or a class, I load my military ammo cans in my truck. Coolers just doesn't really work for me because of the bulk/size/weight. Especially when you consider how thick the walls are on a cooler. Anyway just what I'm thinking.

I had to order something on Amazon last night, and I've had this on my list for a while, so went ahead and bought one to check out. For the price ($18?) I think it's better than using a cooler, stackable, o-ringed seal, and easily loadable in the back of my truck or trunk of my car. A cooler (depending on the size) won't easily load in the trunk of my Mustang. And looking at the size, although not sure about the weight when loaded, might be able to carry underneath one underneath each arm.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                            I think the Action Packer offers that but I think they are more expensive than the ammo cans.
                            Action Packers are not sealed, actually. I have a bunch of them for camping gear, but that was for inside rigs only and had to buy others for the roof-rack. And I agree with wanting a seal, especially in a basement. Hell, when I was in on-post housing at Fort Bliss we had a basement, and even that one stayed very moist.. And El Paso is one of the most arid places I've lived.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                              Action Packers are not sealed, actually. I have a bunch of them for camping gear, but that was for inside rigs only and had to buy others for the roof-rack. And I agree with wanting a seal, especially in a basement. Hell, when I was in on-post housing at Fort Bliss we had a basement, and even that one stayed very moist.. And El Paso is one of the most arid places I've lived.
                              Good to know, I thought they were sealed. Although not as much of a concern for me now that I have a bed cover. Still would want something for camping that is sealable for electronics. What did you get for the roof rack?

Comment

Working...
                              X