DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Home Improvement and Media

Home Improvement and Media Post up any home improvement, home audio, gardening, anything related to your house in here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #201
CJ
User is editing post
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 37,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBFORDTECH View Post
Bayer's Crabgrass and weed killer works great. I applied it about a week ago and it destroyed the crab grass that popped up on me in the last month or so.
yeah that's what I've been using, and all it does to my crab grass is turn it purple at the stems. I've been using it with a sprayer for about three years and about the only thing I've seen is it slows it's growth. How many times are you applying it?
__________________
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:17 PM   #202
zemog
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
Well I put it down initially (I believe) sometime in the fall around late october or so, and then I put more down a little later than normal sometime in around early april. My bermuda does not green until mid to late may.
fall pre is for winter weeds only , crabgrass isn't in this application , Poa annual rescue grass and many broadleaf weeds are main targets with the fall ( put down by oct 1 for north Texas for best results ) . Spectacle is the best although very expensive prodiamine then pendamethalin for fall herbicides.
Late February application is for crabgrass , goose grass etc , ( summer annuals). Green up doesn't matter for pre emergence, dimension herbicide works best if late in applying as it controls early emergence of crabgrass . I use prodiamine in mid February . Hope this helps.
zemog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:26 PM   #203
Goku025
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goku025 View Post
Well I got in a pretty bad accident and have been out for about 2 1/2 months my neighbors have been cutting my grass but went from a 1 to a 4 setting. Now that i am back to good health i spent about 6 hours going from the 4 back down to the 1. I need to go get some fertilizer and will be watering it for the next couple of days to help it green up (hopefully). :shock:

My neighbors think im crazy because it was dark green on top but the length was driving me insane!

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since scalping and every 3 days I have been cutting it still on #1. It is amazing just in 3 days how much growth I get, but its finally greening up!


Goku025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #204
SBFORDTECH
Lifer
 
SBFORDTECH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
yeah that's what I've been using, and all it does to my crab grass is turn it purple at the stems. I've been using it with a sprayer for about three years and about the only thing I've seen is it slows it's growth. How many times are you applying it?
I just put down the 2 treatment. The first took care of roughly half of it. I guess I'll keep applying till it's gone. It unfortunately does nothing for Dallisgrass though.
SBFORDTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #205
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member
 
black2002ls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goku025 View Post
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since scalping and every 3 days I have been cutting it still on #1. It is amazing just in 3 days how much growth I get, but its finally greening up!
This gives me hope for my back yard. We went to Galveston for a few days, when we returned, the bermuda that was growing so well in my back yard looked like a damn cut hay field. I immediately started watering it and got some green back. Now it is daily watering to try and bring it back :/
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.
black2002ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #206
Stephen
Extremely custom title
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Spogtown
Posts: 13,045
Default

OK so I'm really happy with the way it came out.. has anyone used milorganite? I did it 2 weeks after summerguard and have been really happy with the results..

Thank for all of the advise everyone helping me get here!


Sorry for the huge pics, not having Photobucket owns me
__________________
"PSH!!!"
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #207
Mysticcobrakilla
Paterpillar
 
Mysticcobrakilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mansfield
Posts: 5,617
Default

Looks damn good!
Mysticcobrakilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:47 AM   #208
Stephen
Extremely custom title
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Spogtown
Posts: 13,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
Looks damn good!
Thanks, all the extra summer rain I'm sure has helped a lot! This grass it way more thirsty than my Bermuda out back..
__________________
"PSH!!!"
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:47 PM   #209
juiceweezl
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,756
Default

So I still have 2 huge deadspots in the front yard, but I've caught 4 rabbits in my trap in the last few days and shot one with a pellet gun. I may be able to grow grass again soon.
juiceweezl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #210
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member
 
black2002ls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceweezl View Post
So I still have 2 huge deadspots in the front yard, but I've caught 4 rabbits in my trap in the last few days and shot one with a pellet gun. I may be able to grow grass again soon.
How is the soil in those spots? Are they low?

Looks like we are going to have some low/mid 80's for high temperatures over the next few weeks. That should lend itself well to some growth.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.
black2002ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:47 PM   #211
juiceweezl
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by black2002ls View Post
How is the soil in those spots? Are they low?

Looks like we are going to have some low/mid 80's for high temperatures over the next few weeks. That should lend itself well to some growth.
I can level the dirt back pretty quickly. May try to take some plugs from the backyard and move them there. That is if I don't head south for damage assessment.

BTW, we moved the date on the training thing I emailed you about. It's now 11/14. I'll send you the info.
juiceweezl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #212
Stephen
Extremely custom title
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Spogtown
Posts: 13,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemog View Post
fall pre is for winter weeds only , crabgrass isn't in this application , Poa annual rescue grass and many broadleaf weeds are main targets with the fall ( put down by oct 1 for north Texas for best results ) . Spectacle is the best although very expensive prodiamine then pendamethalin for fall herbicides.
Late February application is for crabgrass , goose grass etc , ( summer annuals). Green up doesn't matter for pre emergence, dimension herbicide works best if late in applying as it controls early emergence of crabgrass . I use prodiamine in mid February . Hope this helps.
Do you think fall pre emergent would be safe to use on grass i sodded on may 6?
__________________
"PSH!!!"
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:51 AM   #213
zemog
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,221
Default

Yes it will be fine ,
Time to do the fall pre m if you haven't already
zemog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #214
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member
 
black2002ls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemog View Post
Yes it will be fine ,
Time to do the fall pre m if you haven't already
I was just wondering about that last night. I need to put mine down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.
black2002ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #215
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member
 
Baron Von Crowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Venus
Posts: 23,607
Default

recommendations on a pre-m, preferably one that works on johnson grass
__________________
"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford
Baron Von Crowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:07 PM   #216
zemog
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,221
Default

prodiamine ( generic barricade ) or pendulum ( pendamethalin) , both are good prodiamine works better on poa anna imo.

Johnson grass is controlled with the February pre emergence application.

Note: both will stain concrete and clothing, make sure and apply when dry and sweep or blow off side walks.
zemog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:14 AM   #217
Stephen
Extremely custom title
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Spogtown
Posts: 13,045
Default

Thanks, I put it down yesterday
__________________
"PSH!!!"
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #218
zemog
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,221
Default

what did you apply and what rate did you go out at ?
zemog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #219
Stephen
Extremely custom title
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Spogtown
Posts: 13,045
Default

pendamethalin

Just followed the broadcast spreader settings on the bag.
__________________
"PSH!!!"
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:05 PM   #220
fordracing19
Lifer
 
fordracing19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Sanger TX
Posts: 10,055
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
pendamethalin

Just followed the broadcast spreader settings on the bag.
Where did you buy it?
__________________
2015 F250 Platinum
fordracing19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nay #1 yard in dfw, svo has lawn show, svo sired bermuda

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:29 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.