Home theater subs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home theater subs

What kind of subs do you guys have? I'm thinking of upgrading soon. Preferably to a sub 20hz speaker. I had been looking at some of the svs tower subs, looking for any input. I'm primarily after accuracy at lower levels.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Svs pb2+
    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

White van sub
      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Lol
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

The Klipsch Reference R-115SW 15-inch subwoofer is the perfect combination of power and heart-pounding bass. Shop this subwoofer for your home today!

I'm running 2 of these line (10's) and they are very accurate and crisp.
          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

I have a Power Sound Audio XS15se for the living room set up. A pair of Emotiva Ultra Sub 12s in another smaller room. I seem to prefer sealed subs over ported.

A good site to check out, if you're interested in seeing real data on sub output is data-bass.com Josh Ricci takes ID & DIY subs and measures them in a quasi-anechoic 2 meter ground plane using CEA-2010 measurement standard. http://www.data-bass.com/systems

Just keep in mind that any real <20Hz output is going to cost, unfortunately. People are very subjective about marginal sub woofers. A good example; In reviews people seem to think the popular Polk PSW505 is a earthquake in a box, but tested it has no appreciable output below 32Hz. 90db@32Hz / 76db@25Hz with high levels of distortion. It's a loud 40Hz-70Hz somewhat articulate sub for it's price, but that's about it. A lot of modern movies contain tons of 10Hz-20Hz content that you'll never get to experience. It's because of this that sound re-recording mixers are employing a 30Hz high pass filter in some DVD/Blu ray movies (e.g., How To Train Your Dragon 2, The Hobbit)

SVS, PSA, Reaction Audio, etc..offer a 30 day trial period. You should give it a try and see if you find something that works for you in your particular room. I recently did a trial of a SVS SB-2000 and they even paid return shipping. Ended up costing me nothing to test drive a new sub. I was seeing if I could replace my Emotiva's with a slightly smaller footprint, but the output just wasn't there.
            Last edited by LS1Goat; 07-08-2015, 10:51 PM.

Comment

I had been looking at an older SVS PC Plus 2039. It appears to be tunable below 20Hz, but I'm not exactly sure what they're referring to, as the frequency response doesn't list lower than 20Hz.

I also prefer sealed subs due to inherent accuracy and response, but it seems most are ported. I'm not going to be blasting the sub, which is the reason I want a sensitivity and accuracy. I'd like some good response at reasonable levels, and especially subtle queues. I recently upgraded my entire sound system, and my sub is no match for the quality.

Things get a little hairy below 16Hz, but that's probably going to be good enough for me. I really appreciate informing me about the free trial period. I might end up doing that. God help me if I have to ship this heavy gigantic bastard back. Did you tune your system with an SPL meter to find the best location?

Oh, what's your opinion on M&K?
              Last edited by CJ; 07-09-2015, 01:27 AM.

Comment

I use a Radio Shack 33-2055 meter to tune my system. I first run the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 calibration in the Onkyo, to allow it to apply room correction filters and set speaker delay for each speaker. I then used the built in test tone to manually calibrate all speakers to 75dB "reference" at the primary listening position.

In terms of finding the best location, I first did the traditional "sub crawl" to find the sweet spot. The layout of my room limits the ideal location. I noticed that I was having some ugly room resonance around 60Hz, so I tried using the REW software recommended by the gurus at avsforum. With a little help and feedback from posting my graphs, I was able to figure out where I needed to move it to make a little improvement. Two things: Just a few inches further away from the wall and the addition of a Auralex SubDude to decouple the sub from the floor. Tedious stuff, but worth it if you're interested in the hobby.

I've never owned any M&K gear. What I've heard in the Best Buy Magnolia theater room sounds really good. It should, considering the price tag.

Comment

SVS builds a solid sub, I have a SB13 Ultra and couldn't be happier. The subsonic frequency response is awesome!

Comment

SVS or HSU

Comment

I have a PB12 NSD or whatever is is from SVS. I love the thing. I just bought my sister and brother inlaw a PB1000 which is their 10" sub and they love it.

Id definitely try out SVS. Free shipping both ways with a 45 day audition to see if you like it.

The other option is DIY which may be up your alley. Dayton 15-18" sub with an inuke amp. Seems to be a pretty standard DIY. They make flat pack sub box kits that you just assemble.

My sub:

Comment

That ceiling fan!

Comment

Originally posted by Karson View Post
                          That ceiling fan!
                          Fucking boss!

I don't understand how they can make sound under 20hz, I mean that shit is moving so slow it doesn't make sense to me, guess I need to experience it. I have Klipsch everything but my sub which is a Polk PSW505 and it does me just fine but maybe I need to experience a real sub for the infrasonic experience. I have always been intrigued by the SVS Cylinders.
                          Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

you can't hear it below 20hz, you can feel it

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
                              you can't hear it below 20hz, you can feel it
                              Maybe I need to put a couple of buttkickers on my couch eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X