How's your portfolio looking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's your portfolio looking?

When my grandmother passed away she left me a good chunk of money, which I've put a fairly substantial amount of into a brokerage account with Fidelity, 6 different mutual funds.

Problem is, I put it in literally a couple of days before the stock market started tanking last month. I thought I did a pretty decent job of researching and discussing my investments with the good folks at Fidelity, and bought into a couple of index finds as well as several other funds with 5 star ratings.

Since then I've watched the value of the account diminish by thousands. Even a 1% market loss during the day is a pretty significant hit. I know I shouldn't be watching the progress on a daily basis but I can't help it. I also know that in general the market it going to grow 6-10% per year but shit man I hate watching my money disappear daily, or almost daily.

If I sell off any of my shares right now, I'll be stuck with the losses.

Anyone else sweating it out right now?

Strong to moderately strong

Comment

Yeah, the last month has been rough for sure. We took advantage of a solid string of up days to really dial back exposure in our one fund that really can't lose a lot.

Personally, I'm down about 4% from my peak, not including cash contributions for the last month. A bad thing about accumulating a decent sized portfolio is the fact that a bad day wipes out thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. You know what you should do, it's a marathon not a sprint. I do anticipate this volatility hanging around for a while - at least the next month and likely the next 3.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
        Strong to quite strong
        ftfy
        Originally posted by davbrucas
        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I might be down or I might be up I don't check it but once a year. Vanguard mutual funds are okay for my purpose I've got 40+ years till I see it.

Comment

I can't put up with it. I got out of all this years ago after losing a big chunk. Good luck.

Comment

Still like hammered dogshit. -5% for the year, and up .98% annualized.

Comment

After a while you won't care. I look at mine every day but it is just numbers on a screen that I do my best to make larger over time.
                Originally posted by racrguy
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Originally posted by racrguy
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Pull out now and capitalize on the Steve Madden IPO.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                    it's a marathon not a sprint
                    I look daily as well, some are better than others. You haven't lost anything until you cash in, and hopefully you don't plan on doing that anytime soon.

Comment

Man...i took portfolio to mean a lot of things, but for some reason...investing didnt cross my mind since I picked up a bunch of VW stock last week. Pretty safe bet i figure.

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
                        I might be down or I might be up I don't check it but once a year. Vanguard mutual funds are okay for my purpose I've got 40+ years till I see it.
                        Yep I have Vanguard stuff in my 401K. It's down substantially as well. At least I am dollar cost averaging twice a month with those funds.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Comment

Couldn't tell you, because I haven't checked. I open one statement a year, because I don't want to panic.

I don't have anywhere close to what some of these folks have invested though.
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I look every few days or so and have lost a but recently too. Don't worry about it. Over the course of 5 or 10 or 20 years it will have gone up and that is what matters. Like someone said above you haven't lost anything until you cash out anyways. Investing is for the long run, not overnight so just give it time to adjust accordingly.
                            I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

I got lucky. I got nervous and divested a couple of months ago. Now I'm just trying to decide when I'll get back in.

Comment

Working...
                              X