Hobby car decisions, Monster Miata or C4 'Vette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobby car decisions, Monster Miata or C4 'Vette

So originally I was going to build a Cobra kit. Honestly, it's just too expensive. So I'm pretty far down the Monster Miata path right now. I have a decent Miata and engine, ECU, wiring, transmission and IRS 8.8 that I pulled from a '94GT that was running and driving. The rear is from a Tbird turbocoupe. I also have a set of real GT40 heads fresh out of the machine shop, and Explorer intake, 24# injectors and a lot of other stuff.

I have about $5.5k in the Miata stuff so far. It's going to take another 5k to complete and a few weeks off work or a lot of holidays/weekends.

In the meantime I bought a really clean all original '78 Corvette L82 4 speed. Sure it isn't the fastest thing, but I really just love driving around in it and enjoying the V8 sound with no cats in the way and I've always loved the look of the car. It makes me smile, gets lots of compliments and is just a lot of fun.

Being a 25th anniversary car, I thought it might be neat to collect a few more rare model Corvettes. So I've been noticing nice C4s are cheap now. I could get a C5 ZO6 after that.

Anyway I'm considering ditching the Miata project and getting:

1) A '93 40th anniversary LT1 'Vette will be 10-15K
    2) A '96 LT4 'Vette also in the 10-15k range

or save a bit more and get a '90-'95 ZR1

3) ZR1 20-25k range.

Which would you do and why? Monster Miata, 40th anny, LT4 or a ZR1?

After this car is acquired the next one would probably be a C5 Z06 or a 2003 50th anny 'vert.

The next to acquire after that will be a '13 60th anny 'Vette (once my Jeep DD is paid off).

Miata sounds awesome, id go miata. Surprise folks, more fun, etc.
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Agreed. The hot rodder in me appreciates the fab work and uniqueness of the Miata build. The only way I could get excited about a C4 Vette is if it was hacked like the Roadkill Vette.

Comment

People are going to call you gay if you get the miata, but I'm sure you're already used to that.

Comment

I wound up with a C4 vette after considering a turbo miata. I had a lot of issues with my C4, but I think they came from it being a pile of shit when I bought it.

I absolutely loved the looks, feel, and handling of the C4, but I completely fucking hated the LT1 that was in it. My advice is to either get a C4 roller and LS swap it, or aim for a nice LT4.

Comment

I dare say that the Miata is a better built car than a C4
            http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

I wouldn't want to deal with most other miata owners. Most of the miatas ive seen have Hella flush rims ebay coils and illest stickers all over them.

I think your c4 prices are really high, atleast I wouldn't pay 10k for one
              Last edited by 4king; 05-14-2016, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Neither option does anything for me, both the miata and C4 incite a whole lotta "meh" in me. Any chance of finding a C3 in your price range?

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                  The only way I could get excited about a C4 Vette is if it was hacked like the Roadkill Vette.
                  THIS! Been thinking about turning my Mach 1 into a similar stripped version one day

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
                    I wouldn't want to deal with most other miata owners. Most of the miatas ive seen have Hella flush rims ebay coils and illest stickers all over them.
                    Who cares?

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
                    THIS! Been thinking about turning my Mach 1 into a similar stripped version one day
                    I wouldn't bother with a unibody car. The Vette is a great candidate because everything just unbolts.

Comment

My 240whp turbo 92 miata is the most fun ive had in any car. I just traded my 15 mustang for a 16 miata for a daily, big upgrade in fun. Im surprised anyone could say meh after seat time in a miata, a monster miata would be cousins with a cobra.
                      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Just sold my c4 6spd. Love those cars and always will. If you are going to buy one to keep make sure you wait it out and find a NICE Low mileage one. The difference between a well maintained 70k mile car and an averagely maintained 120k car is staggering.
                        2012 GT500

Comment

I'm on the hunt for a miata. My 2 hour commute is all curvy back road, aside from 10 miles of interstate.

Comment

What did you get now Jeremy?

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
                              I'm on the hunt for a miata. My 2 hour commute is all curvy back road, aside from 10 miles of interstate.
                              Im jealous

Comment

Working...
                              X