Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 Looking for truck for my teenager - DFW Mustangs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for truck for my teenager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for truck for my teenager

I've already consulted the classifieds, just thought I'd throw this out there if anyone has one, or knows anyone getting ready to unload one.

• Looking for a Ford Ranger, 99 or newer, single cab 4 cyl 5 speed.
    • Would also consider a 97-03 RCSB F150 with v6, 5 speed.
    • Would also consider a RCSB Silverado, 94 and up. Not likely to find a v6 & 5 speed with the Silverado though, so v8 and auto ok there.

The Ranger is the ideal candidate but he's stuck on the 94-98ish Silverado.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

94-98 Sierra/Silverado would be my pick (I'm jaded because I had a 98 Sierra Z71 4x4 ext.cab....best vehicle I've ever owned). The Vortec 350 is a damn good engine...but they sold them with a 4.3 V6 and I believe a 305 also as well as a couple of pathetic turbo diesels.

Comment

It's easier than you think to find an RCSB silverado with a V6 5 speed. I've sold a half dozen of them over the years. Truthfully though, the best truck you could get him is a 92-96 F150 4.9L 5 speed.

Comment

I know a lot of people love ford Rangers, but being tall and having to use them as fleet vehicles, to me they are nothing but a Geo metro.

If my choice was riding a bicycle or driving a Ranger, I'd be riding a bicycle. So if he sucks at driving and is always getting in trouble get him a Ford ranger

Comment

What's your budget? I've got a few Rangers but they all need something, they're auto, oh and they're fuckin 5.0 v8's

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            • Would also consider a RCSB Silverado, 94 and up. Not likely to find a v6 & 5 speed with the Silverado though, so v8 and auto ok there.

The Ranger is the ideal candidate but he's stuck on the 94-98ish Silverado.
            I had an extended cab short bed v6 5 speed c1500. It wasnt a work truck, (it had paint and carpet) and it was great. I sold it in about 2012 at 255k miles. I think I put on a water pump and a PS hose in 70k or so miles I had it.

I'm a big fan of 94-98ish chevys. I think they're very reliable. But youre correct, it would be difficult to find a v6 fullsize.
            Look for paint issues though. Mine was a 1997 and the hood paint went from perfect to having ZERO clear coat on in the couple years I had it. the roof was next when I sold it. I've seen the same thing on hoods of similar trucks lately.
            DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

They are still out there, had a buddy grab a 100k regular cab, calypso green one for 1500 a few months back.

Comment

After searching for a nice Ranger or S10 for my son I ended up getting him a Dakota. At 6'4" it was a better fit, and it's was in far better shape for way less cash. It's a 3.9l 6 with a 5 spd too. It sounds like none of his HS friends know how to drive a standard either.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                  94-98 Sierra/Silverado would be my pick (I'm jaded because I had a 98 Sierra Z71 4x4 ext.cab....best vehicle I've ever owned). The Vortec 350 is a damn good engine...but they sold them with a 4.3 V6 and I believe a 305 also as well as a couple of pathetic turbo diesels.

Yes, they sold them with the v6, but I have yet to see one for sale in my search. The 305 is a gas guzzling turd that can't get out of its own way. Fuel mileage is my concern with the TBI 350.

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                  It's easier than you think to find an RCSB silverado with a V6 5 speed. I've sold a half dozen of them over the years. Truthfully though, the best truck you could get him is a 92-96 F150 4.9L 5 speed.
                  Not in the year range I'm looking at. I've found a handful of 04-07 though with the v6.

Originally posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
                  What's your budget? I've got a few Rangers but they all need something, they're auto, oh and they're fuckin 5.0 v8's
                  Really depends on the truck, but up to $5k, may go more for the right truck.

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                  I had an extended cab short bed v6 5 speed c1500. It wasnt a work truck, (it had paint and carpet) and it was great. I sold it in about 2012 at 255k miles. I think I put on a water pump and a PS hose in 70k or so miles I had it.

I'm a big fan of 94-98ish chevys. I think they're very reliable. But youre correct, it would be difficult to find a v6 fullsize.
                  Look for paint issues though. Mine was a 1997 and the hood paint went from perfect to having ZERO clear coat on in the couple years I had it. the roof was next when I sold it. I've seen the same thing on hoods of similar trucks lately.
                  Definitely reliable. So was the next generation. Clear coat was definitely an issue on those trucks. That can be overlooked, to a degree. I can clear a hood, but don't want to have to clear an entire truck.

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
                  They are still out there, had a buddy grab a 100k regular cab, calypso green one for 1500 a few months back.
                  In Rangers I'm finding pure shit, people on crack, or a LOT of what's out there seems to be of the extended cab, 3.0, auto variety. I've looked at a bunch in person, and every damn one has been a basketcase and completely misrepresented.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                    After searching for a nice Ranger or S10 for my son I ended up getting him a Dakota. At 6'4" it was a better fit, and it's was in far better shape for way less cash. It's a 3.9l 6 with a 5 spd too. It sounds like none of his HS friends know how to drive a standard either.
                    I want a standard to help deter him from texting, and so his friends can't/won't drive it.

I'd be open to an s10 too, but they seem to show their age worse than the Rangers do. A clean RCSB 92-96 (I think?) square body s-10 with the 4.3/5 speed would be the TITS.

Comment

I skirt up n down these streets near WRL and always see this yellow ranger. It looks clean as hell and is now in the place where the red ford is with a fur sale sign and has been for a good minute. I'll stop by and get details for you next time I'm in the area

Comment

Originally posted by hxbernal View Post
                        I skirt up n down these streets near WRL and always see this yellow ranger. It looks clean as hell and is now in the place where the red ford is with a fur sale sign and has been for a good minute. I'll stop by and get details for you next time I'm in the area

https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...!4d-96.7014241
                        WRL?

Link won't open from my phone. I'll try from laptop in the am, and go check it out. Thank you!

Comment

WRL?

Link won't open from my phone. I'll try from laptop in the am, and go check it out. Thank you!
                          White Rock Lake
                          Originally posted by davbrucas
                          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                            White Rock Lake
                            Haha, thanks. I'm not up to date on the short hand.

Comment

Yes, they sold them with the v6, but I have yet to see one for sale in my search. The 305 is a gas guzzling turd that can't get out of its own way. Fuel mileage is my concern with the TBI 350.

Not in the year range I'm looking at. I've found a handful of 04-07 though with the v6.

Really depends on the truck, but up to $5k, may go more for the right truck.

Definitely reliable. So was the next generation. Clear coat was definitely an issue on those trucks. That can be overlooked, to a degree. I can clear a hood, but don't want to have to clear an entire truck.

In Rangers I'm finding pure shit, people on crack, or a LOT of what's out there seems to be of the extended cab, 3.0, auto variety. I've looked at a bunch in person, and every damn one has been a basketcase and completely misrepresented.
                              Do yourself a favor and stay away from any full size ford with a V6, unless it's the 4.9L. Also, fuel mileage is a joke with any truck, doesn't matter if it's a V6 or a V8. You're going to see 15-17mpg at best. Doesn't matter if it's a 4.0L ranger, or a 5.7L chevy, you're never going to see better.

Rangers are insane, even at the auctions.

Comment

Working...
                              X