No announcement yet.

Big Green Egg vs. Costco brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i found a place online that sold the replacement probes for under 10 bucks each, i ordered 3 of each and just keep them in the BBQ tub.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
      I burnt up two of the probes, first was my fault, second I was no where near their rating....
      All part of the game.
      Read online and you will see that most of the time that they do not function correctly, the user has either...
      1) Burnt them up
      2) Not properly cleaned the probe.

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
      i found a place online that sold the replacement probes for under 10 bucks each, i ordered 3 of each and just keep them in the BBQ tub.
      Exactly...few places online sell them for that much, but there are two types of probes though...one for the meat and the other is a high heat temp probe for the grill that I burnt up at first because I was trying to flame grill it, lol.

Comment

yeah, that's why i ordered "3 of each" 3 meat probes and 3 pit temp probes

they don't hold up too well to the dishwasher either

Comment

I got the old manual/dial thermometer from Bed Bath and Beyond. Just poke it in the place you want to check the temp. Not an instant read type, but it does OK so far. Used it to check the chickens, chicken breasts and sausages I cooked.

The chicken cooked probably another 20 minutes or so after that pic was taken, a little darker brown.

OK, next question. What is the best way to thaw out a whole chicken. I put it in the fridge for about 12 hours (from the freezer), then on the counter for maybe 8 or so hours, but it was still a tad frozen in the middle when I wanted to start cooking. I think that extended the cooking time more than it would normally be.

Comment

counter first then fridge?

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
              I too bought one of these and like it so far. Problem is where do you find the smoking stone and pizza stone accessories locally?

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
                I too bought one of these and like it so far. Problem is where do you find the smoking stone and pizza stone accessories locally?
                I got a pizza stone at Walmart and wrapped it in aluminum foil and use it as a deflector above the coals(instead of cleaning, just change the aluminum foil). Unfortunately...I don't eat pizza.

I got a Weber cooking grate from Home Depot to place the stone on(the Char-griller has the holders on the inside of it already).

I also got some of these from Home Depot to place on the rack for searing steaks at very high heat temps...

Comment

2K2 LS1, if that's an 18 inch grill like the one I got at Costco, you can order a heat deflector/pizza stone from Home Depot, Vission brand.
                  They had one for a Weber grill on the shelf, but it felt cheap, very light weight, compared to the BGE brand. I bought a Big Green Egg brand stone, actually 2, now, one for pizza only and one for everything else, like a heat deflector. It was $55 at a BBQ place in Southlake.

Cooked my first brisket today. Took about 13 3/4 hours, mostly around 220, and up to 250 a few times. Wrapped in foil for 30 minutes afterwards, placed in an ice chest and it came out really good! My first ever brisket - slow cook anything!

Comment

I picked up a Costco egg for $399!!! Its only 399 at the bunker hill store in houston. DFW stores won't price match it for some stupid reason.

Now its time to smoke!
                    Can't beat them, Join their NEW message board !!

Comment

Originally posted by Bputacoma View Post
                      I picked up a Costco egg for $399!!! Its only 399 at the bunker hill store in houston. DFW stores won't price match it for some stupid reason.

Now its time to smoke!
                      That's sucks I have been wanting one for a while but to cheap to buy one.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Bputacoma View Post

Now its time to smoke!
                        That's fricken awesome! You're gonna love it!

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                        That's sucks I have been wanting one for a while but to cheap to buy one.
                        Even the BGE is worth the price, for the way the food comes out tasting compared to a gas or charcoal grill like most people are use too. Now if you have one of those big-ass wood smokers, I'd say those are better for a slow smoke, but the ceramic grills are so versatile, slow cook to searing steaks at 700-900 degrees, or cooking a pizza. The taste of what you cook makes it worth the investment.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                          That's fricken awesome! You're gonna love it!
                          After reading what you guys said about it, i have no doubt. Now to see if i can't copy Franklin's or John Mueller's recipe!

Comment

Welp. here's my first attempt. didn't get to smoke it as long as i wanted due to assembly time. lol.

but 6 hrs of smoking at 200-375 (i had trouble maintaining solid temp) and 1 1/2 hrs foiled in a cooler. It came out well considering it was my first one.

Comment

Good job! Looks pretty tender.

I had a hard time maintaining a constant temp the first couple times. I seem to have been over zealous to get it started up or hotter, and let it get too hot. Takes forever to cool back down!

Wait till you do a whole chicken, they are so juicy it's crazy. Pizza is the shit too. Regular pizza pales in comparison!

Comment

Oh I am going to get one I just have to many other projects right now. Damn new house!
                                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                                X