No announcement yet.

Would you do away with ss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yale, good post! You also have to consider how few people are working now and paying into SS, AND the amout of yearly income that is now taxable. I believe there are either 4-6 states now where more people are collecting assistance than working..
    Jyro has me beat by a couple years, but I'm with him in that if you guys want to kill SS, give me back what I paid in and you can have at it. I never minded paying into SS as I knew it was taking care of Grandparents,aunts, uncles and others that went throught the Depression and lost everything and who served in WW2. At the time, I felt that the generations following me would feel the same about taking care of our less fortunate elderly and would continue on the tradition. With the advent of the 401 and other savings venues available today, plus the way the Gov has gone crazy,the outlook of many has changed .
    Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
      People live a lot longer, it isn't means tested, and the fund was once in surplus, so Congress rolled it into the general budget, which is actually illegal under the original law creating social security. It basically wasn't designed for the way we use it now.
      So basically it could be fixed and then it would be fine
      WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
        if the gov could find the money to put back into it

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
          If labor force participation keeps dropping...no.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
            People live a lot longer, it isn't means tested, and the fund was once in surplus, so Congress rolled it into the general budget, which is actually illegal under the original law creating social security. It basically wasn't designed for the way we use it now.
            Exzachry right!

Also it may shock some to know there are websites devoted to helping you game the ss/disability acceptance process. We should've shut it down twenty years ago.

Comment

Problem number one is it's unconstitutional. It really doesn't matter if it was sustainable and paying everyone out 200x what they paid in, the federal government has no authority to run it.
              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Working...
              X