Holder: US can legally kill Americans in terror groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holder: US can legally kill Americans in terror groups

But it is his definition of "due process" as outlined in the constitution that rubs me wrong:

The U.S. government is legally justified in killing its own citizens overseas if they are involved in plotting terror attacks against America, Attorney General Eric Holder said Monday, offering the Obama administration's most detailed explanation so far of its controversial targeted killing program.

"In this hour of danger, we simply cannot afford to wait until deadly plans are carried out, and we will not," he said in remarks prepared for a speech at Northwestern University's law school in Chicago.

An American-born Islamic cleric, Anwar al Awlaki, was killed in a U.S. drone attack in Yemen in late September. Some civil liberties groups condemned the attack. Others, including members of Congress, called for a more complete explanation of how such a targeted killing of an American civilian was consistent with the U.S. Constitution.

The Fifth Amendment provides that no one can be "deprived of life" without due process of law. But that due process, Holder said, doesn't necessarily come from a court.

"Due process and judicial process are not one and the same, particularly when it comes to national security. The Constitution guarantees due process, not judicial process," the attorney general said.

Who is he to say what our founding fathers intended?
    Holder said a U.S. citizen can legally be targeted in a foreign country if that person is "a senior leader of al-Qaida or associated forces," and is actively involved in planning to kill Americans. Killing would be justified if the person poses an imminent threat of a violent attack against the U.S. and cannot easily be captured.

Any military operation targeting a citizen overseas must be carried out consistent with the law of war. "The principle of humanity requires us to use weapons that will not inflict unnecessary suffering," he said.

The ACLU called Holder's explanation "a defense of the government’s chillingly broad claimed authority to conduct targeted killings of civilians, including American citizens, far from any battlefield without judicial review or public scrutiny."

"Few things are as dangerous to American liberty as the proposition that the government should be able to kill citizens anywhere in the world on the basis of legal standards and evidence that are never submitted to a court, either before or after the fact," said Hina Shamsi, director of the ACLU’s National Security Project.

"Anyone willing to trust President Obama with the power to secretly declare an American citizen an enemy of the state and order his extrajudicial killing should ask whether they would be willing to trust the next president with that dangerous power,” she said.

The ACLU is suing the Obama administration, seeking to have documents regarding the targeted killing program made public.

Holder said it makes no legal difference that a U.S. citizen is targeted away from a traditional battlefield. "We are at war with a stateless enemy," he said.

I thought we had pretty much identified the strongholds of these people?
    While the U.S.-born cleric, Anwar al Awlaki, was at first believed to be merely an English speaking propagandist for the Yemen based group known as Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, U.S. officials say he gradually assumed an operational role in the terror group.

According to federal prosecutors, Umar Abdul Abdulmutallab, the underwear bomber, told FBI interrogators that al Awlaki was deeply involved in planning his attempted bombing of a Detroit bound passenger jet on Christmas day in 2009.

Holder said Abdulmutallab told the FBI of "al Awlaki's specific instructions to wait until the airplane was over the United States before detonating the bomb."

The attorney general told the law students that the government is under no legal obligation to delay a targeted killing operation until a terrorist plotter is in the process of carrying out an actual attack.
    "The Constitution does not require the president to delay action until some theoretical end stage of planning, when the precise time, place, and manner of an attack become clear," he said.
    So they can use hersay (however you spell it, im in a hurry) to kill one of us? I mean, I know the guy was "guilty" or whatever and I am not taking up for the people who are terrorist but really? Seems like they just knock off whomever they want. Honestly, no one is safe anymore
    Originally posted by Sean88gt
    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

No it's ok - we thought long and hard about it before we had to kill him.

I swear.

There were tears....I think.

Comment

Only an idiot would be in favor of this sort of nonsense.
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

I'm guessing we do it anyway (covertly), but I'm not about to support a law or anything that makes it okay.

Even though on the surface it sounds great..."Yeah! Kill the terrorists!" That whole abuse of power thing is going to happen.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Seems to go hand in hand with NAADA, doesn't it?

"We can lock your ass up, or just kill you."
          www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

C'mon Pookie, let's burn this mothafucka down!

Comment

Ya'll are starting to get a clue...but just barely.
              Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Originally posted by majorownage View Post
                Ya'll are starting to get a clue...but just barely.
                Yet you haven't. We both agree that the government is out to fuck us. We diverge at the point where you come up with ridiculous stories about chem trails, vaccinations, things of that nature. THAT'S why we call you a moron.

Comment

If anyone in that story is truly an enemy of the state, then it is the main one quoted in bold text.
                  "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

The government is the pimp and we are the ho's
                    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Just for the people that are going to go vote a straight R ticket this year check out who helped pass the NDAA and who sponsored sopa/pipa
                      110:1 crawl ratio = slowest rig on here

Comment

Originally posted by -Jake- View Post
                        Just for the people that are going to go vote a straight R ticket this year check out who helped pass the NDAA and who sponsored sopa/pipa
                        There are people on both sides of the fence here guy...that is the problem with American politics today, everyone has their hand in someone else’s cookie jar and no one is complaining.

Republicans want more control and you can tell from their stance on several issues.

Democrats want more control as well and are willing to spend their way to oblivion to achieve said control...

Of course this is my simplistic view on this specific yet broad issue. Just my .02

I give our country another 10-15years of this bs before 1. we actually elect someone who helps turn everything around or 2. Other countries take notice and exploit our weakness' however they see fit.

We need someone strong

Comment

Originally posted by -Jake- View Post
                          Who else would you suggest I vote for? Is a Dem any better?

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                            Who else would you suggest I vote for? Is a Dem any better?
                            Screwed if you do and Screwed if you don’t...I honestly do not like any of the candidates this time around. I figure if I don’t vote and Shit hits the fan, I can remain neutral as I did not vote....ha ha winning like Charlie Sheen

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                              Screwed if you do and Screwed if you don’t...I honestly do not like any of the candidates this time around. I figure if I don’t vote and Shit hits the fan, I can remain neutral as I did not vote....ha ha winning like Charlie Sheen
                              The only certainty I know of is that Barry must go. No POTUS has ever been re-elected with $3.75 gal gas and 8% + unemployment. I need to help insure that statistic stays intact.

Comment

Working...
                              X