Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official DFWMustangs Mountain Bike thread, sponsored by Brawndo, Osiris and Dos Equis

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well a cyclocross bike is ideal as none of the trails are technical. so a 700x32-38 is going to be your best bet, but you are going to want more then a fixie. I would get some 1.9 or smaller urban tires for the mtb and run that. Use something with a street tread as most of the trails will be hard pack and not technical so not much need for a knobbie tire.

Comment

• I know gears are nice for long races, and coasting is fun, but my average speed on the fixed gear is always higher than the 26".... I might have to flip a coin. I'm not looking to win the race, but I damn sure want to finish. It's hard to say which one will be more comfortable. The 26" frame is a little too short for me and the FG will wear my legs and back down faster.

I have been eye-balling these tires for my MTB.
      Our Goal: Healthy Mobility - clean, safe and connected. Our heart beats for this. Learn more about it on our homepage.

Comment

• Those will work great for this. Too bad they don't make a 1.9 in those tires but having a lower rolling resistance will make a huge difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beej View Post
          Those will work great for this. Too bad they don't make a 1.9 in those tires but having a lower rolling resistance will make a huge difference.

Are you referring to the smaller overall diameter having a difference in the rolling resistance? Or the tread design/compound/tpi ?

Comment

• the tread patern and tpi will effect your rolling resistance. This tires looks like a 2.2 which is your width. the more narrow you can go the lighter the tire will be and less weight will effect rotational mass and decrease the spent energy. But overall this will be a good tire for the conditions.

Comment

• Just let me ride one of your carbon CX scorchers

Comment

• Anyone have any suggestions on a under 300 bike? The oldest boy just got his first bike and I've been wanting to get one to ride along with him, maybe take on trail riding once or twice a month and help get me back in shape. I can't afford to drop the cash on a $500+ bike anytime soon.

I'm pretty open on bikes. I haven't ridden a bike since I was 16 (10 years ago) so I'm way behind the times. Have the Walmart brands gotten any better? I've also seen haro bikes kind of in my range. But they seem more bare than the bigbox brands (non-disk brakes mostly)

Comment

• Just scour craigslist. With such a broad idea of what you want stay away from box store bikes. They are all junk. You can pick up something on craigslist within your price range.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockeruti View Post
                    Anyone have any suggestions on a under 300 bike? The oldest boy just got his first bike and I've been wanting to get one to ride along with him, maybe take on trail riding once or twice a month and help get me back in shape. I can't afford to drop the cash on a $500+ bike anytime soon.

I'm pretty open on bikes. I haven't ridden a bike since I was 16 (10 years ago) so I'm way behind the times. Have the Walmart brands gotten any better? I've also seen haro bikes kind of in my range. But they seem more bare than the bigbox brands (non-disk brakes mostly)

These older specialized bikes last a long time. I have a 1998 26" Stumpjumper Pro with stock components that rides better than my 2011 Hardrock Comp 29er.

Comment

• @Teeshock. Did you end up doing the Levee race last weekend? I saw some video, looked bad ass. I wish I would have opted for that instead of the crit I did. Maybe next year.

There is also the chainring massacre coming up on Feb 10th. 50 mile and 70 mile routes. This one is always fun. I will be doing it.

Comment

• My endurance is not at the appropriate level to be competitive at 75 miles so I opted out of the race. I have some cardio to work on and a new bike to build.

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                          My endurance is not at the appropriate level to be competitive at 75 miles so I opted out of the race. I have some cardio to work on and a new bike to build.
                          Just get out and keep riding, that is the only way it will get better.

Comment

• Anyone tried out or own the Carve? I love my camber don't get me wrong, but that carve is sexy.

Comment

• All I have ridden the last few years is my Scott Scale 29er hardtail. There is something said about light hardtail 29er's. They rail for sure. Sometimes I wish I had a full suspension for those long long rides but am very happy with what I have. Next for me will be carbon hardtail.

The Carve seems to have a very similar race geometry as my Scott. I like that SL. My next MTB will be a single speed 29er. I am not riding enough mountain bike to justify a new bike. Maybe if my Scott frame fails.

Comment

• Anyone who has a medium to large frame MTB for sale pm me. Have a friend looking for one. Nothing new or expensive. Thx.

Comment

Working...
                                X