Sous vide steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
    Order it before the 5th and get $50 off with FACEBOOK50 coupon code. Can't wait to test mine out next week.
    I was thinking about getting one of these for my chicken breasts and you just sealed the deal!
    Thank ya sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
      I may have to pick one of these up next time I have spare change and am not blowing it on kart stuff. $200 seems so cheap for something of this nature.
      My immersion circulators run roughly $1300 for commercial units with more precise controls, HACCP interface, and a more heavy duty design. $150 is incredibly cheap. I can't speak to the quality of the Anova, but the stick style is definitely what I would do if I were you. The sous vide supreme is very limited on the size of the water bath. With a stick style like the Anova, you can do brisket or prime rib in a cooler, etc vs the sous vide which wouldn't do more than a couple of chicken breasts at one time.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

What capacity would I need to cook 5lbs of meat at 140F? Is the baseline anova enough at 800W?

Comment

What capacity would I need to cook 5lbs of meat at 140F? Is the baseline anova enough at 800W?
          What I've read has said the Anova is 1000w. My commercial units are 1560 watts, but they have a capacity of 60 gallons.

I would think the Anova would handle 5 lbs easy, but maybe Hmbre can speak up since I don't have experience with that exact unit.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            What I've read has said the Anova is 1000w. My commercial units are 1560 watts, but they have a capacity of 60 gallons.

I would think the Anova would handle 5 lbs easy, but maybe Hmbre can speak up since I don't have experience with that exact unit.
            The spec's on the medium size states 5 to 6 gallons. Also states it turns over 12L/minute.
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the information guys! I forget this site can be more than banter at times haha.

Looks like anova has 3 models and last day for 50 off is today. I'm debating between the 2 entry level options.

Comment

I received mine in the mail yesterday. I'm using it for some steaks this evening.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                  I was watching a few videos on this type of cooking and came a across this one. Yall should like how he sears it around the 7:40 mark, apparently he doesn't own a frying pan.

I have used a torch as well and it works great. The very high temp is something you cant recreate with a pan. Also have deep fried a steak after sous vide to sear it. Worked well but it was a little hassle. Cast iron is where its at

My DIY sous vide has been great $75 and some time and effort. My dad bought the Arnova (the company is known for their lab equipment) and it works great. Wish the Arnova was out a couple years ago.

Comment

I want to try one of these.. The steaks I mean, not to cook them.

Comment

Every time I see this thread title I picture Farmer Fran from Waterboy mumbling south side.

Comment

Awww yeah wife got me one for the bday.

Share some recipes if you got any good ones please.

Comment

Steak of your choice
                          salt
                          pepper
                          butter
                          fin.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                            Steak of your choice
                            salt
                            pepper
                            butter
                            fin.
                            This right here. All my steaks ever get is salt pepper and garlic powder.
                            Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

You're married to a woman?!

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                                You're married to a woman?!
                                Haha...got a giggle out of me. You only wish I was a lesbian.

I typically do the salt pepper and garlic, but wasn't sure if there were better options since it'll be vacuum sealed. I also had this truffle butter on top of a steak my aunt cooked the other day and it was amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                X