No announcement yet.

Wavy foundation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would start with building permitting and find out what they require for soil testing in the area or what values someone can presume if not testing. If they're low values, it would require piers, special foundation, etc. If the soil values are fine, then it's on the builder. Start with code enforcement and work from there. No one should ever presume failure as within standards. That's not how code works.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
      fuck it, sue them.
      This..

Comment

It aint sag, it's piss pour concrete work..

see: http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/sh...3&postcount=15
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
          Well I got an official response from the owner Robbie Hale, they are refusing to fix the foundation, they told me that I can take it to arbitration with the warranty company if I want. They said it's normal and within standards in my neighborhood, what a joke.
          This along with your comment about many in the neighborhood having this issue sounds like a class action lawsuit situation. Round up some neighbors and lawyer up.

Comment

This house isn't in a city, so it's county, I think the code is super lax out here. I always thought it would be nice to have something in county because of the lax code, but it goes both ways, the builder can probably get away with murder building out here. I was looking at the other homes they are building right now, it blew my mind, they frame them out and put a thin cardboard Light Structural Grade, 0.078 sheathing on the exterior and put some OSB on the corners. I hope I don't get any strong wind gusts, my straw house may fall down. Maybe the cardboard sheathing thing is normal???

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Thermoply is pretty much the norm now.
              07 GT500
              05 SRT10
              88 turbocoupe T-bird
              93 Cobra
              86 coupe
              Ducati 848

Comment

Originally posted by mk5.0 View Post
                Damn, so where does the rigidity come from in the x,y axis?
                Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

This house isn't in a city, so it's county, I think the code is super lax out here. I always thought it would be nice to have something in county because of the lax code, but it goes both ways, the builder can probably get away with murder building out here. I was looking at the other homes they are building right now, it blew my mind, they frame them out and put a thin cardboard Light Structural Grade, 0.078 sheathing on the exterior and put some OSB on the corners. I hope I don't get any strong wind gusts, my straw house may fall down. Maybe the cardboard sheathing thing is normal???

There is still a code governing the area. The state of Texas adopts a version of the IRC. Then, counties adopt all or part of it (or none of it and stick with what they have) and then cities do the same. You need to find out which version of the code governs the area and start there. Enforcement of said code is the issue...

Originally posted by mk5.0 View Post
                  Unfortunately, yes, it is.

Damn, so where does the rigidity come from in the x,y axis?
                  It doesn't. All those drywall cracks you see in newer homes that get blamed on the foundation...it's not the foundation. All those doors that are all of a sudden harder to close or stick...it's not the foundation. The code mandates wall bracing, and the section (R602.10) underwent a major overhaul 2 cycles ago. It had only accounted for seismic forces traditionally, but now it takes wind into effect. There are factors for exposure category (is your house in an open area or protected by other homes nearby), building height, width, etc. Unfortunately, it gets overlooked all the time.

Comment

This sucks. I'm on my phone and too lazy to look it up, did you ever find out who the flooring company was?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Well I got an official response from the owner Robbie Hale, they are refusing to fix the foundation, they told me that I can take it to arbitration with the warranty company if I want. They said it's normal and within standards in my neighborhood, what a joke.
                      Yeah, there isn't a "standard" for that kind of piss poor workmanship in a neighborhood.

Have you gotten a response from bonded builders/the warranty company? What warranty guidelines are they using?

As someone else said, I would talk to other robbie hale homeowners in the neighborhood and see what they have going on. Sounds like it is time to start seeking legal representation.

As I mentioned earlier, if the warranty company is using aces or home of texas for their guidelines, reach out to those organizations for some assistance/guidance.

It also may not hurt to reach out to the Texas Attorney general's office and see if they can offer any kind of assistance or a place to start.

Comment

The house we are building right now is sheeted in a product called zip system.

It provides structural rigidity, moisture barrier if the tape is used and a thermal barrier.

sigpic

Comment

The home builder has no reason to fix anything. It's not like you're likely to buy another house anytime soon. It might be childish, but you could blow up the neighborhood/HOA facebook page (if one there is one) and see if they change their tune. Other than bad publicity that will cost them $$$ you will need to hire a professional to get involved in order to get anything done.

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                            The home builder has no reason to fix anything. It's not like you're likely to buy another house anytime soon. It might be childish, but you could blow up the neighborhood/HOA facebook page (if one there is one) and see if they change their tune. Other than bad publicity that will cost them $$$ you will need to hire a professional to get involved in order to get anything done.
                            Please don't group all builders in that statement. We go above and beyond to make sure that we do what is right for everyone involved in any situation we find ourselves in. I have no doubt if this were one of our homes, we would be working towards a solution. Though, we are MUCH larger than Robbie Hale!

Comment

Originally posted by mustang1200 View Post
                              The house we are building right now is sheeted in a product called zip system.

It provides structural rigidity, moisture barrier if the tape is used and a thermal barrier.

Better than T-ply, but that pic still isn't code compliant. Those garage returns need to be a minimum of 18" from what I can tell, and that still won't meet the code required bracing for that wall line unless each one (built at 18") is built like a portal with holdowns. That would require holdowns on the side walls of the garage too.

Zip wall is structural OSB though, and it is a great product. That being said, be prepared for that garage to have problems and movement in the future...

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                                Please don't group all builders in that statement. We go above and beyond to make sure that we do what is right for everyone involved in any situation we find ourselves in. I have no doubt if this were one of our homes, we would be working towards a solution. Though, we are MUCH larger than Robbie Hale!

This. Many builders do work towards customer satisfaction and a solution for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X