My next house build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
    How big is the lot and price per acre out there?

My wife and I have thought of doing the same thing. We figure it would be a good move for us if it's doable under 250 all in, land/lot, slab, building, build-out.

I'll certainly be watching this thread.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    If you really want a barndo, go for it. Its not much cheaper per square foot vs a traditional stick built house. Most banks wont finance them, some insurance companies wont insure them.

Comment

Couple thoughts, may be too late though..
      1) floor safe. Obviously need it before the pour
      2) plates in garage floor for lift ?
      3) If you're going gas or propane, add a line to shop for heat and one to the patio for a grill.
      4) Frame the garage high enough for a lift AND proper rafters so you can add a second floor now or later. Can never have enough storage.
      5) if you're not air conditioning the shop, add some windows. Cross flow air will help.
      6) floor drains in the shop.
      7) make sure you have enough electrical in shop. at least 2- 220 lines, (welder and compressor)..
      8) add a hose bib near the shop so you can wash cars/parts/etc there.
      if I think of others I'll post.

Comment

I really like this idea.
        If it weren't for the gutter, my mind would be homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
          Couple thoughts, may be too late though..
          1) floor safe. Obviously need it before the pour
          2) plates in garage floor for lift ?
          3) If you're going gas or propane, add a line to shop for heat and one to the patio for a grill.
          4) Frame the garage high enough for a lift AND proper rafters so you can add a second floor now or later. Can never have enough storage.
          5) if you're not air conditioning the shop, add some windows. Cross flow air will help.
          6) floor drains in the shop.
          7) make sure you have enough electrical in shop. at least 2- 220 lines, (welder and compressor)..
          8) add a hose bib near the shop so you can wash cars/parts/etc there.
          if I think of others I'll post.
          1) will have something set
          2) there will be a lift installed, but I will just get the cement
          drilled
          3) no gas or propane
          4) the walls are 14 foot with a 3-1 roof
          5) shop will be air conditioned
          6)never thought about that, don't know if I want oil or whatever chemicals in my septic
          7) there will be
          8) there will be one outside the doors, might add one on one of the walls in the shop
          2014 Ford F250 4X4 *DD*
          1992 Ford Mustang GT

Previous Vehicles:
          1989 Ford Mustang 4 cyl. Turbo coupe
          1986 Ford Mustang GT T-Top
          2011 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
          2011 Ford Mustang V6
          2011 Ford Mustang GT
          2013 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
          2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost 4x4

Comment

I walk through my master bath to enter my closet, but having to walk through the closet to the master bath is messed up.
            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
              I walk through my master bath to enter my closet, but having to walk through the closet to the master bath is messed up.
              This is a little odd.

The chase in the master bathroom, between the commode closet and the master, if that isn't used for mechanicals, have a door(s) put on it for a linen closet.

Not sure what you have the room by the pantry designated for, but I would re-work that area. Move the pantry to the outside wall and make it a bit bigger, push the door to the shop towards the center of the building a little, then put the wash room right next to the master closet, with a door to the master closet. The wife will be FOREVER thankful for having that easy access! This would also free up room for a utility sink, or storage for house hold chemicals.
              Originally posted by Leah
              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I agree with above. Flip the master to closet door into the bathroom. I'd actually just flip the bathroom and the closet. Having plumbing on the exterior wall isnt usually the best idea. If you keep it that way, make sure you insulate well between the plumbing and the exterior wall skin. Here is an example:

Id recommending watching a bunch of his videos to get up to date on good building technique and building science. Lots of stuff you can do at this stage that is very hard to go back and fix.

Comment

I saw a similar video about doing the rigid foam with the spray foam, I am going to do that in my shop.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

After watching that video, a few things. Not related to his method though. If any of you plan to under take this, great stuff now makes a pistol type spray gun, invest in one it will save you a TON of time. Also keep a can of acetone on hand. Acetone will clean up foam that has NOT set. You WILL get it on you, and your clothes, at some point if you do a good bit of spray foaming. I guarantee that! I use it regularly to do spray foam touch ups for inspections or to hit things inspectors miss. I get that shit on me at least once a week!

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                      After watching that video, a few things. Not related to his method though. If any of you plan to under take this, great stuff now makes a pistol type spray gun, invest in one it will save you a TON of time. Also keep a can of acetone on hand. Acetone will clean up foam that has NOT set. You WILL get it on you, and your clothes, at some point if you do a good bit of spray foaming. I guarantee that! I use it regularly to do spray foam touch ups for inspections or to hit things inspectors miss. I get that shit on me at least once a week!
                      gas will melt it, fyi.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                        gas will melt it, fyi.
                        It's a lot easier to find acetone around a job site than it is gas!

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                          It's a lot easier to find acetone around a job site than it is gas!
                          I had a baja bug that had great stuff around where the engine cage went into the firewall, and a fuel hose developed a small pin hole, that squirted right at the great stuff. It melted, and it got louder inside the car, so I stopped to check it out. Lucky I stopped when i did, it could have been lots worse.

Comment

Ever consider another garage door(s) on the back of the shop? Sometimes it's nice to be able to drive through, and the extra door helps a lot with more airflow and natural light.

Comment

Here is a better set up of the floorplan, nothing is set in stone except plumbing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                              2014 Ford F250 4X4 *DD*
                              1992 Ford Mustang GT

Previous Vehicles:
                              1989 Ford Mustang 4 cyl. Turbo coupe
                              1986 Ford Mustang GT T-Top
                              2011 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
                              2011 Ford Mustang V6
                              2011 Ford Mustang GT
                              2013 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
                              2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Ldecharmoy View Post
                                Here is a better set up of the floorplan, nothing is set in stone except plumbing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                                I would definitely go bigger with the pantry. Even if it meant scaling down to one door. A pocket door would serve that location well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X