Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haven't sold a car in years - what's changed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haven't sold a car in years - what's changed?

I will selling a 17 year car soon, so I remember correct, I don't need an odometer statement- correct? Just a bill of sale and a signed title-correct? I do know to go online to Tex DOT and report the sale & title transfer.

Plates - I gather you remove those before the buyer takes possession - but how does he print those paper plates to get it home? Or does the seller do this?

Thanks,

Scott

I don't think you need a bill of sale. Your title should have a portion you tear off that has buyer's info and yours when you sign the title over with odometer reading and how much it sold for. Hand that to the DMV.

Comment

The buyer can drive it home without plates as long as he/she has the signed title with them. That compels them to change the title over to their name or they can print fake paper tags once they get home if that's their thing.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
        The buyer can drive it home without plates as long as he/she has the signed title with them.
        and whatever they do is not the seller's concern. Don't ever let a buyer "borrow" your plates no matter who they are. Especially since everywhere in DFW has tolls. If the the seller is pulled over they can simply show the title being signed and it should be no issue, or they go to the DMV and get a temporary transfer tag, but again, none of your concern.

Comment

Odometer is exempt and no bill of sale required. Sign the title and the 130U. Make sure to print your name EXACTLY as it is on the title, Texas got touchy about that. Keep your plates, print him out a transit tag.

Comment

Originally posted by white trash wagon View Post
            Just a bill of sale and a signed title-correct? I do know to go online to Tex DOT and report the sale & title transfer.
            Yes to all of the above.

Originally posted by white trash wagon[/QUOTE
            Plates - I gather you remove those before the buyer takes possession - but how does he print those paper plates to get it home? Or does the seller do this?

Thanks,

Scott
            Yes, remove your plates! Tell them beforehand that's a condition of the sale. Some people don't mind at all and understand the reasons why. And some will get upset and cry you a river why that would be a HUGE inconvenience. Your position on this deal; Take it or leave it.

The buyer can get a temporary transit permit here https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/regi...porary-permits

Comment

Yes, remove your plates! Tell them beforehand that's a condition of the sale. Some people don't mind at all and understand the reasons why. And some will get upset and cry you a river why that would be a HUGE inconvenience. Your position on this deal; Take it or leave it.

Yeah, fuckers want free toll road access.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post

The buyer can get a temporary transit permit here https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/regi...porary-permits
                What this man said. Many here I’m sure have learned the hard way the consequences of not doing so, including me. I didn’t know about the availability of the temporary transit permit, but did complete the VTR-346 form and submitted it to TxDOT. That helped immensely when the letters from the NTTA began arriving because I left the tags on the vehicle.
                Last edited by The King; 08-18-2018, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X