Best shotgun for birds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best shotgun for birds

I just got back from a pheasant hunt and I want a new shotgun. I wore them out with my old mossberg 88, but still I think I’d like something nicer.

I want a semiauto with low recoil/good padding. What are y’all’s thoughts?

Originally posted by JV106 View Post
    I just got back from a pheasant hunt and I want a new shotgun. I wore them out with my old mossberg 88, but still I think I’d like something nicer.

I want a semiauto with low recoil/good padding. What are y’all’s thoughts?
    Depends on what type of birds you want to shoot or if you just want strictly pheasant. For Pheasant or Sport shooting I have an Over/Under. For Turkey and water fowl I have a Semi-Auto that can fit 3-1/2" mags. The Semi could really work for all and be setup for anything depending on the chokes and shells you use. Pretty versatile, however I love the feel and weight of the O/U.

Comment

You didn't mention a budget soooooo, these may be over what you want to spend.

For Pheasant/Dove/Quail I love my Browning A5 20Ga that was my first gun when I was like twelve year old. Shoots nice and soft but feels different as the whole barrel comes back on recoil. That gun, even being a 20g, I don't miss birds or clays with it. It really is a great gun to learn on especially as a kid and will be the first shot gun my boys shoot here soon.

If you want a good all around gun that can go up to 3" I really love my Benelli Super Sport (or even 3.5" for the Super Black Eagle) and it's never given me a single problem or jam, will eat any ammo you throw at it and just keep going. There's also no gas system to clean like some of the Beretta's that shoot nice but will jam if you use dirty ammo or don't clean them enough.

If you want a pump, the Benelli Super Nova in 12g eats anything up to 3.5" and is a beast for the geese.

As mentioned a good over under is great as well, I've got a few of those too and they can range from a couple of hundred bucks to a bad ass sports car.
      Originally posted by stevo
      Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Well, the pheasant hunt I went on was controlled so you can do it without a plug and the guide will actually talk shit to you if you don’t. So, I want to hold at least 5 shells up to 3” minimum. This pheasant hunt should be an every year deal. I don’t really want an over under right now.

I’ll also use it in Texas for dove and skeet shooting so I need to be able to put the plug back in it easily. I’d like it to be cammo. I’d be willing to go over a grand budget wise. I’ll use it for turkey and duck at some point too, I hope.

Comment

Benelli Super Vinci or Winchester Super X fits all of those needs.

Comment

I’ll check them out. Thanks.

Comment

Realtree Max-5? The superbly balanced Super Vinci shotgun is the world’s most reliable, softest-kicking, fastest-shooting lightweight 3-1/2-inch magnum semi

This might be the one.

Comment

Good choice. That's what I have. It's a champ. The only thing is that recoil system does nothing for 3-1/2" Turkey loads just be forewarned. It's like shooting a cannon, you will need the Advil.

Comment

I don’t bruise easily but I have a huge fuckin bruise on my shoulder from that mossberg. That’s what started my wanting a better shotgun. I was shooting 2.75 golden pheasants. Maybe 3 boxes total. This gun has to be better than that.

Comment

I don’t bruise easily but I have a huge fuckin bruise on my shoulder from that mossberg. That’s what started my wanting a better shotgun. I was shooting 2.75 golden pheasants. Maybe 3 boxes total. This gun has to be better than that.
                    It totally is, it will only pound you with magnum loads. Anything less and the recoil system works well.

Comment

I’m going to see if SWFA can order that benelli for me. Thanks again.

Comment

I’m going to see if SWFA can order that benelli for me. Thanks again.
                        No problem. You'll love it.

Comment

I agree and love my Benelli's, with the regular loads they are nice and soft but yeah, any 3.5" is gonna hit like a 3.5" should.
                          Originally posted by stevo
                          Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

I have a super black eagle 2 and love it, but Benelli's have some dollars that come with them. Casey set me up with a Tristar raptor for my youngest son last Christmas, and that thing chews through shells with no issues, even the cheap dove loads. It was a fraction of what the Benelli cost too. I'd give it a look and talk to Casey.

Comment

Beretta A300 or 400 would be my choice, I've been shooting a 390 for 15 years and have never had an issue out of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X