Chain breaker/rivet tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain breaker/rivet tools?

I only want input from people who have actually used them. I've bought several of the Harbor Freight tools over the years....they work fine for smaller dirt bike/small street chains...but every one that I've tried on larger chains have broken...I went thru 2 of these pieces of shit TODAY while trying to compress the rivet head on an EK 530 chain (and yes....I'm using right). I'll take the second one back tomorrow to Harbor Freight and will NEVER buy another one.

Has anyone used the Stockton tool that Cycle Gear has on sale for $29.99? Thinking about riding up and grabbing one if its worth a damn.

sabin does mine for $5!

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
      I only want input from people who have actually used them. I've bought several of the Harbor Freight tools over the years....they work fine for smaller dirt bike/small street chains...but every one that I've tried on larger chains have broken...I went thru 2 of these pieces of shit TODAY while trying to compress the rivet head on an EK 530 chain (and yes....I'm using right). I'll take the second one back tomorrow to Harbor Freight and will NEVER buy another one.

Has anyone used the Stockton tool that Cycle Gear has on sale for $29.99? Thinking about riding up and grabbing one if its worth a damn.

I have that same one, bought it a few months ago to do that very job. It worked just fine breaking and installing.
      Originally posted by stevo
      Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Those Stockton tools don't last very long, mine went in the trash after 2 uses. Tried another brand that was similar and only got 3 chains out of it. I use a motion pro jumbo chain tool now. This chain tool has seen a ton of use, I bought it used off a mechanic. I would say it has done at least a hundred chain installs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
          Those Stockton tools don't last very long, mine went in the trash after 2 uses. Tried another brand that was similar and only got 3 chains out of it. I use a motion pro jumbo chain tool now.
          ya, if youre going to be doing a lot of chains, i'd pony up for the motion pro. i only go through a chain a year so i havent really seen the need to invest in one. i cut the old chain off with a dremmel, and take it to jim to rivet the new one.

Comment

I totally agree on the Motion Pro (any tool they make), but for as little as I have to replace chains I'm not interested in the price difference. Plus until recently I've used the clip style master link and never needed the tool. But the chain I bought last came with only a rivet link and it was only another $20 to just buy the tool instead of another clip style link so I went that route and now have a tool as well.

Stevo

Comment

Years ago i lent my stockton/cyclegear tool to someone off the board (futant, maybe?) and he managed to break the rivet tool without much effort. I know he was able to get his chain done with one of the larger pins, and then went to cycle gear and replaced the part he'd broken.

I've used it with varying degrees of success over the years, but i also have had luck using a metal punch to dimple the rivets. seems like the 530 chains were always the worst to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                I totally agree on the Motion Pro (any tool they make), but for as little as I have to replace chains I'm not interested in the price difference. Plus until recently I've used the clip style master link and never needed the tool. But the chain I bought last came with only a rivet link and it was only another $20 to just buy the tool instead of another clip style link so I went that route and now have a tool as well.
                ill never use a clip style again on a street bike

Comment

I lost a clip style link once too, on the access road about to get on 183. thankfully it just wrapped up on the sprocket and brought me to a quick halt.. i always check the direction of the master link now and dont let anyone else touch my chains.

btw you're white? lol i always pictured you as a fat mexican.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                    I lost a clip style link once too, on the access road about to get on 183. thankfully it just wrapped up on the sprocket and brought me to a quick halt.. i always check the direction of the master link now and dont let anyone else touch my chains.

btw you're white? lol i always pictured you as a fat mexican.
                    lol i'm a white honky. not even a wigger as my username might assume!

wrapping up on the sprocket would be my biggest fear. mine just spit out the back after jamming it in 3rd, not before it twisted up the chain guard and took a chunk out of the sprocket cover though. clip was installed correctly by me, shit just let go.

Comment

That sucks that they let go on you... I've used them for 15 years (the last 6 years doing track days on a ZX-10R) and never broke one.

Stevo

Comment

yep, and theyre pretty common on big cc drag bikes too. it's just peace of mind for me knowing that my chains arent going to snap at the master link anymore. as you know, that can do some serious damage to you and your bike.

Comment

I've never had one break on my bike but a friend of mine had one break on a Nighthawk 750 last fall and it destroyed the front sprocket cover, chain guide and broke one bolt clean off. That was a bitch to repair.

Comment

Well I rode up and picked up the Stockton tool at Cycle Gear...I'm sure I've probably spent that 29 dollars in gas driving back and forth to Harbor Freight over the last couple years buying and exchanging that piece of crap they sell.
                            While this thing may not last long term in a cycle shop that sees tons of chain/sprocket installs in a week I'm fairly certain it will last me a while doing the occasional chain replacement on my own bike or someone elses. It worked perfectly, was easy, and was very quick.

Comment

I need to buy a press/break. I've borrowed the one from my local bike shop a couple times and also from a buddy. I have always used a press link on my sportbike, clip links on my dirtbikes and lowerpowered street machines. I lost the clip link once on my 87 cagiva 650. Thankfully I was slowing for a turn and it popped when I downshifted to 2nd. Wrapped on the rest sprocket and brought me to a stop.

Comment

Working...
                              X