Trying to decide on a breed of dog.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
    I would have written "go fuck yourself, my money is as good as anyone else's" and sent it back with the check.
    I actually liked the scrutiny, shows he has passions for his dogs, not just another puppy mill. He's guarantees his dogs for life, in writing, against any diseases. If your dog gets one, full refund or a new pup. If at any time you don't want your dog, he buys it back. If you don't have time to hunt your dog, bring it to him and he'll hunt it for you. And if you buy a pup from him the training is discounted, which on average runs $650 a month. After my Vizsla died of cancer at only 4 years of age, i like that guarantee and knowing i'm getting a good bloodline.
    You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

Border Collies can also be entertainingly talkative. Lots of other breeds are great, but personally I don't ever see myself owning a different breed. Give her 30 seconds and she decides she's had enough of being filmed.

Comment

get a pit bull, your neighbors will loves you, AND you can fight him on the weekends in the hood for extra money. Like the gift that keeps giving

Comment

Originally posted by DieselSmoke View Post
          I actually liked the scrutiny, shows he has passions for his dogs, not just another puppy mill. He's guarantees his dogs for life, in writing, against any diseases. If your dog gets one, full refund or a new pup. If at any time you don't want your dog, he buys it back. If you don't have time to hunt your dog, bring it to him and he'll hunt it for you. And if you buy a pup from him the training is discounted, which on average runs $650 a month. After my Vizsla died of cancer at only 4 years of age, i like that guarantee and knowing i'm getting a good bloodline.
          Yeah, hopefully that touchy fealy crap just makes you feel better. We paid an exorbitant amount of money to a breeder for two field trial champion bloodline labs, and ended up with a refund on the female, she got mild hip dysplasia after a couple years, and we then shouldn't breed her, or run her in the field trial circuit. That's SOP for high dollar dogs, but money is money, and a breeder that is refusing to sell to people based on a pop quiz is pretty out there. We worked with several breeders and top trainers, and aside from two, we bought dogs that were 1-2 years old with lots of training.

I hate to think about the amount of money my parents blew on dogs back then. Im sure it was enough to by a nice house.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

You like Rott's or Husky's? Also, try to stay away from pure breeds with a lot of health issues.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselSmoke View Post
              What Ratt said, breeder who specializes in hunting dogs. I had to fill out a 78 questionnaire, give references of my vet and guys I've bird hunted with and a phone interview just to be considered for one of these Brittanys. This breeder is also a trainer, find a good trainer who familiar with your breed. Sounds like your uncle has a good bloodline of GSP's. The Ranch i hunt in Hico only uses GSP's for pen raised quail and pheasant hunts. Never had one but seen them work and they're good bird dogs.
              What ranch in Hico? My uncle and grandfather have been hunting that way for 30 years. We used to have some family in Star.

This is Hud and he has spread his seed for a hefty fee.
              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

That's a good looking dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                  That's a good looking dog.
                  I agree with the hipster.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I agree with the hipster.
                    LOL! why am I a hipster??

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                        LOL! why am I a hipster??
                        "Cuz you pluck a guitar, that ain't fuckin bizarre.
                        Cuz you make weed brownies and knit wool hats"

Ded

Comment

Yeah, hopefully that touchy fealy crap just makes you feel better. We paid an exorbitant amount of money to a breeder for two field trial champion bloodline labs, and ended up with a refund on the female, she got mild hip dysplasia after a couple years, and we then shouldn't breed her, or run her in the field trial circuit. That's SOP for high dollar dogs, but money is money, and a breeder that is refusing to sell to people based on a pop quiz is pretty out there. We worked with several breeders and top trainers, and aside from two, we bought dogs that were 1-2 years old with lots of training.

I hate to think about the amount of money my parents blew on dogs back then. Im sure it was enough to by a nice house.
                          It does a little, and shit can happen when it comes to dogs. My Vizsla breeder said in 15 years none of their dogs got lymphoma. They didn't even offer us a new pup, even after emailing them the pathology report because they didn't believe me. And it gets expensive fast, had $4k in training on Gauge and he wasn't even finished. The breeder also has started dogs that are 6-48 months old, been thinking about that route too.

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                          What ranch in Hico? My uncle and grandfather have been hunting that way for 30 years. We used to have some family in Star.

This is Hud and he has spread his seed for a hefty fee.
                          Flying P

And thats a good looking pup...
                          You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
                            Lab of some kind.

/thread
                            Nice dog you got there!

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                              Please rescue a dog and don't get hung up on some stupid papers. There are millions of unwanted dogs out there facing death because people don't fix their animals or try to breed them to make money and then figure out they're going to be left with 2 or 3 of them.
                              This. Both of my girls came from North Texas area kill shelters. I couldn't be any happier with either of them.

And to think that for ~$50, I was able to adopt, mico chip, spay, deworm/vaccinate, get box of heart worm preventative and a good starter supply of flea/tick preventative and also got a bag of food and a nylabone... Best money ever spent.

And aside from my older girl having chronic skin allergies, they are both in very good health.

Comment

We just rescued a Basset Hound, went through BRAT, the local recue agency. I've never had a hound type dog before and after the first month I can honestly say I'll never have anything else. Sweet disposition, not terribly active, loves kids (kind of loves cats, likes to chase my inside cat every now and then).

But, as has been stated before, whatever you get, go through the pound or a rescue agency. Way too many good dogs looking for homes.

Comment

Working...
                                X