Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 GT hesitation/miss

93 GT 105k miles, stock.

Symptoms: the car starts hesitating/missing if you go WOT or once it's warm give it more than a little gas. Gets worse the longer you drive. Behaves almost normal on cold start. If you drive like a grandma it feels okay. Starts, idles, drives fine otherwise. No CEL, no codes other than 11.

New parts: the car was sitting for about 8 years and required some repairs to get running and then I did a normal tune up. All of this done in the last month. New fuel pump, fuel filter (fuel pressure is 40 at idle w vacuum disconnected and 32/33 with vacuum), spark plugs, plug wires, air filter, cap and rotor, o2 sensors (replacing originals).

MAF was replaced 10k miles/13 years ago. Service paperwork indicates complaint of miss on acceleration. Exhaust was obstruction free, no vacuum leaks, fuel pressure tested okay. Shop replaced MAF. My dad was the owner at the time and he is deceased so I'm not sure it was 100% after this repair but it wasn't driven much since then.

Anyone have any ideas before I start throwing parts at it? I'm thinking TFI. The original is on there. MAF is suspect since it was replaced "recently" and might have fixed the same issue. It's motorcraft and I went to clean it before realizing it was replaced and the wires look brand new. Should I test the TPS?

Might be the pick-up coil inside the dist. I had a similar
    problem in my 92, replaced the disty.

Comment

Originally posted by garycrist View Post
      Might be the pick-up coil inside the dist. I had a similar
      problem in my 92, replaced the disty.
      Nailed it. I swapped the TFI and it was still acting up. Probed the MAF and TPS and voltages looked perfect on them. Bought a new distributor and that fixed it.

Comment

Thank you!

Fords are notorious for crummy disty plates!
        It was especially prevalent with vacuum advance.
        As the vac. advance kicked in, it would close the
        points down, sometimes, to 0 point spacing.

Comment

You can set your watch to a 94 GT's dizzy dying. One day the car just quits.
          WH

Comment

Working...
          X