No announcement yet.

Birddog0347 rescues a Fox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So as I mentioned last May, the car is going in for a full paint/body setup. We also have a full T-top roof that is going on it, and a coupe shell that we will at a minimum be using the driver's rear quarter from, maybe the cowl too, we will see. The shop doing the work is K and K in Tennessee and you can see some of their work here. 2nd link is Kevin's personal coupe he's putting T-Tops on that will show his process, same as he will do on mine.
    Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

So...the guys that follow my threads probably know I have a few aero nose, sn95s and new edge cars in my collection. So it’s about time we get into a 4 eye. But never being satisfied, this one needs to be on another level. So that means more custom work on this one than any other. One word of...

They already have the T-Top roof/glass/etc, and here's pics of the shell he is picking up tomorrow for $550.

My car had some driver rear fender damage before I got it, that some idiot covered in bondo after cutting it with a cutoff wheel so I knew that was going to be a big problem when I saw the bondo crack under the paint and sanded it down to see what we are working with... screw this fender! And especially fuck the asshole that did that!

Anyway, the car was picked up yesterday and is on it's way to K & K for the next 1-2 years, but it will get a complete makeover with show quality paint and some T-Tops.

Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

• Holy Bondo Batman!

That is some shoddy ass work for sure.
      I can count 8 coats of Bondo and that black shit at the shoddy weld job looks like Marine Tex that used in the paint and body business to adhere fiberglass panels to metal and then finished off by plastic fillers.
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• Too bad you're not using the passenger side fender from that shell. I also need a driver's side rear fender for my car unless the dent in mine can be repaired.

Comment

• Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
          Too bad you're not using the passenger side fender from that shell. I also need a driver's side rear fender for my car unless the dent in mine can be repaired.
          I'll ask Kevin to let me know what's good on the shell that I don't need and can make you a deal on whatever is left. Assuming you need it.

Stevo

Comment

• Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
            I'll ask Kevin to let me know what's good on the shell that I don't need and can make you a deal on whatever is left. Assuming you need it.
            I appreciate the offer, but my only need is a driver's side rear fender. Mine got crunched when some asshole backed out of my neighbor's driveway in the middle of the night, hit my car and drove off.

I have zero body experience and I don't know if it can be repaired or if the fender will have to be replaced like you're doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
              I appreciate the offer, but my only need is a driver's side rear fender. Mine got crunched when some asshole backed out of my neighbor's driveway in the middle of the night, hit my car and drove off.

I have zero body experience and I don't know if it can be repaired or if the fender will have to be replaced like you're doing.
              If it's just dented it can likely be repaired with a stud puller, but since mine would have to be welded anyway it's easier to just find a better fender and replace. Post a pic of yours.

Stevo

Comment

• I also just started a new Youtube channel to put some videos on as we go with this, as there are a few that will show the scope of this project and the gremlins hiding underneath... Kevin will keep sending me videos and I'll document it that way. He and I have been planning since about last May so some of this is catch up, but he got the car yesterday. Also after talking to him yesterday about the engine bay, originally I had planned/budgeted for him to just pull the stuff out and paint the bay, but I will kick myself if we don't at least smooth the strut tower's forward on the bay so that will now happen as well.

Hopefully today we will have a shell to steal panels from to fix all the nonsense hiding in my car. More to come.

Stevo

Comment

• What a hack job. When that guy started taking a video you can see that piece of filler thats black looking and he thinks is fiberglass, I'm almost certain its marine tex, that stuff is two parts, black and the catalyst (hardner) is clear amber looking and it comes in a glass jar. It doesn't even look like it was mixed correctly. Now that he has started really taking it apart he can see the extent of the original damage which was significant. At least he will fix it correctly now.

Speaking of Marine Tex, that stuff was made for repairing holes in boat hulls, like mainly fiberglass holes that could sink a boat out in the water, its water proof and dries very fast and solid. On the can it used to state that it was as important to have on a boat as a car needed a spare tire. In case you ran a ground and you craked the hull you mix this stuff and it would instantly repair the crack or hull.
                  I'm bringing this up because I've seen you have a boat, they now make it in white too I believe.
                  Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                    What a hack job. When that guy started taking a video you can see that piece of filler thats black looking and he thinks is fiberglass, I'm almost certain its marine tex, that stuff is two parts, black and the catalyst (hardner) is clear amber looking and it comes in a glass jar. It doesn't even look like it was mixed correctly. Now that he has started really taking it apart he can see the extent of the original damage which was significant. At least he will fix it correctly now.

Speaking of Marine Tex, that stuff was made for repairing holes in boat hulls, like mainly fiberglass holes that could sink a boat out in the water, its water proof and dries very fast and solid. On the can it used to state that it was as important to have on a boat as a car needed a spare tire. In case you ran a ground and you craked the hull you mix this stuff and it would instantly repair the crack or hull.
                    I'm bringing this up because I've seen you have a boat, they now make it in white too I believe.

Interesting, hopefully I never need that.

Stevo

Comment

• Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                      If it's just dented it can likely be repaired with a stud puller, but since mine would have to be welded anyway it's easier to just find a better fender and replace. Post a pic of yours.

Sorry for the hijack, but here are a couple of pics. Posted from my potato phone using tapatalk.

IMG_8580.jpg
                      IMG_8579.jpg
                      IMG_8578.jpg

The car has been cleaned up since these pics but it’s in bad need of TLC.

Comment

• wow those are tiny pics... Makes me wonder about the structure behind it though. I bet it could be fixed but might be easier to replace it, I'd find a body shop you trust first and have them tell you.

Stevo

Comment

• So late last week Kevin was able to get over to Alabama and pick up the donor car, which thankfully the best part of it is the driver's rear quarter panel and exactly what we needed (along with some of the inner structure). Unfortunately the rear glass isn't really worth using as some jackwagon tried to weld in through-floor subframe connectors and there's welding/grinding splatter all over everything inside and the window is no good. The donor rear bumper is trash as well, but no biggie.

Today I placed an order from LMR for a new trunk lid and rear bumper cover, and Kevin was able to get a view behind the fender (from inside) to see what we are dealing with there to plan the replacement of that whole quarter and some/most/all the inner structure, really just whatever is needed to make it right again. In the video below he shows where some of it was cut away and poorly "repaired" and points out the seat back cross brace welds (those were mine as it was flopping around).

Stevo

Comment

• Tear down continues, last week the new trunk lid and rear bumper cover were delivered, I will order a new hood, front bumper cover, fender extensions, and 10 piece molding set this week. The cowl has damage (knew about it already) and will be replaced with the one from the donor car, as well as fix some rust areas on the driver's door mount area. Passenger side still looks good and clean.

Stevo

Comment

• On the rear fender that has to be cut out and replaced, once the trim was pulled we found that not only is this the worst repair maybe ever (up by the window) but that this fender had already been replaced and it was STILL that bad of a job. That's white paint under the trim... astounding.

Stevo

Comment

• The detail he is providing is invaluable. He's being very thorough in his inspection and verbal detail on what problems and solutions is awesome. If I had a car that needed paint and body I would send it to him for sure.

Keep the videos coming, there are awesome and thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                                X