Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tricks for replacing back glass, 2000 F150?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricks for replacing back glass, 2000 F150?

So, I had a load shift and punch my back glass out. I will probably replace with a sliding glass. I've watched a few youtubes but still have questions.

Why the butyl gasket? Or why the butyl gasket alone? I have this urge to use E6000 or silicone from a caulk gun.

I saw where one guy did not remove the outside beauty trim when he replaced his, while others remove it. What is the dealer procedure?

Any "gotchas", "run froms", or other tips?

It's gonna suck, I will tell you that much. Had to do it to my brother in law's truck, because his was leaking. The correct stuff works fine, just cleaning the area is a BITCH.

Comment

This sounds like a pay someone else to do it type job.

Comment

worth every penny. i do all my glass work on older cars but fuck glue in.

Comment

last time i broke my back glass on my work truck it was $200 for the glass and install

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
            last time i broke my back glass on my work truck it was $200 for the glass and install
            Who did you use? Need back glass on my RAV4 replaced

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
              Who did you use? Need back glass on my RAV4 replaced
              i don't remember. it was some hole in the wall Mexican shop

Comment

A back glass in a pickup usually isn’t worth my time messing with it, just pay somebody to put it in. They usually are not that expensive even installed. Hell, even the windshield for my wife's 08 Yukon Denali was only $350 and it has the rain sensor. I can’t see a back glass being much over $150

Comment

Did it myself. Wasn't as bad as I thought. The only real difficult part was the cleaning off the old sealer.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                    Did it myself. Wasn't as bad as I thought. The only real difficult part was the cleaning off the old sealer.
                    good job! you saved $50 bucks

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                      Nice. Told you cleaning the area was a bitch.

Comment

Working...
                      X