2020 Lawn Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 94mstng94 View Post
    I’ve been having withdrawals being out of town. I’m limited to just keeping an eye until I get back in town [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a nice deep green, whomever is taking care of it seems to be doin a great job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
      That's a nice deep green, whomever is taking care of it seems to be doin a great job.

Let’s just say, it’s well fed. Now, if this rain will stop, I can cut this forest down. It’s growing like crazy.

Comment

• Yeah, I snuck yesterday's mow in between the rain. Filled an entire 90gal can w/clippings, it was tall and I had to cut more off than I would like to have, but it didn't seem to stress it too bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
          Yeah, I snuck yesterday's mow in between the rain. Filled an entire 90gal can w/clippings, it was tall and I had to cut more off than I would like to have, but it didn't seem to stress it too bad.

Wow, that’s impressive! Luckily my whopping 3k sq/ft doesn’t take much effort to keep nice.

Comment

• Haven’t mowed in a week I need to bad.. I put down som high nitrogen fertilizer last Monday and a bag of milorganite and it really woke up.. I was on second lowest setting on my honda mower too

Front is already at 3” but it’s at Augustine and always looks good

"PSH!!!"

Comment

• Just out of curiosity, does anyone that knows what they're doing live anywhere near Rowlett and mind stopping by my place for some Q&A? I'll buy you a case of beer or some fertilizer if that's more up your alley.

I've got roughly 2 acres out of 8 acres that I'd like to get into good shape. It looks moderately ok from a distance but looks like crap when you're standing in the yard looking straight down. Lots of weeds, grass is somewhat sparse. We've dealt with a few 'stickers' this year for the first time.

My kids spend a ton of time in the yard and I'd love to have some fairly lush grass for their bare feet. Just don't know where to begin.

I don't have a sprinkler system and I haven't fertilized since we moved in 4 years ago this month.

Comment

• Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                Just out of curiosity, does anyone that knows what they're doing live anywhere near Rowlett and mind stopping by my place for some Q&A? I'll buy you a case of beer or some fertilizer if that's more up your alley.

I've got roughly 2 acres out of 8 acres that I'd like to get into good shape. It looks moderately ok from a distance but looks like crap when you're standing in the yard looking straight down. Lots of weeds, grass is somewhat sparse. We've dealt with a few 'stickers' this year for the first time.

My kids spend a ton of time in the yard and I'd love to have some fairly lush grass for their bare feet. Just don't know where to begin.

I don't have a sprinkler system and I haven't fertilized since we moved in 4 years ago this month.
                Do you know if you have Bermuda or st Augustine?
                "PSH!!!"

Comment

• Regardless of what grass you have, start doing pre emergent.

Last week of February, first week of may, late September and late December

That alone will drastically reduce your weeds as majority are annuals
                  Since you have a big area I suggest sunniland from Lowe’s it’s 25 a bag and treats like 12k square feet

Also fertilizing during growing season helps a lot too (between April - august)

Lastly a weed killer (aka post emergent) that’s safe on your turf grass to spot treat weeds..
                  "PSH!!!"

Comment

• I want to say we've got a bit of both but I'll have to walk around a bit and look. Honestly though, I don't recall seeing many 'runners' so it may be mostly St Augustine.

I've hesitated getting started simply because of the size yard we're dealing with. I've assumed it'll be crazy expensive to treat such a large area.

And since everyone likes pictures, here are a couple I have saved in my phone.

The pond looks like crap in the first pic because I had just mowed and a lot of clippings blew in the pond. The catfish were following me all around the pond eating whatever bugs they could find.

The big raw spot by the tree behind the pups in the second pic is where I buried my Golden Retriever last year. Those Great Pyrenees pups are now 75 and 90 pounds each, roughly a year old.
                    Last edited by TX_92_Notch; 05-25-2020, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• I can’t tell 100% from photos but looks like Bermuda and a lot of dallisgrass

This is dallisgrass
                      where to upload photos for free

You have a couple options
                      You can kill it with roundup and have a dead spot in your yard or if you have Bermuda you can use msma and it will kill it and not harm the Bermuda.. it costs about 130 for a 2.5 gallon jug and that jug treats up to 4 acres or som crazy shit..
                      "PSH!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                        I can’t tell 100% from photos but looks like Bermuda and a lot of dallisgrass

This is dallisgrass

You can kill it with roundup and have a dead spot in your yard or if you have Bermuda you can use msma and it will kill it and not harm the Bermuda.. it costs about 130 for a 2.5 gallon jug and that jug treats up to 4 acres or som crazy shit..
                        yes - we have lots of dallisgrass.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                          I can’t tell 100% from photos but looks like Bermuda and a lot of dallisgrass

This is dallisgrass

That fo sho is what I have a lot of.

Comment

• “If” you have Bermuda grass, this stuff will kill it and not kill the Bermuda.. I normally mix 2oz per gallon and spot spray when temps are consistently between 85-90 (June is the perfect month).. if you have St Augustine grass msma will murder it very quickly.
                            "PSH!!!"

Comment

• For the broadleaf weeds, (clover, dandelines, thistles, wild flowers} use Amine 400. It is a 24D spray. You can buy it by the quart from Tractor Supply. It will burn St Augustine if sprayed above 85 degrees. Works well on the weeds.

Comment

• Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                                yes - we have lots of dallisgrass.
                                Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                                That fo sho is what I have a lot of.
                                Good luck gents, that stuff is aggressive. I had to pull by hand in St Augustine and man does it make some tough roots.

Comment

Working...
                                X