Kid's club sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kid's club sports

Anyone else have their offspring in club sports? My daughter is playing Select Volleyball this year and man it is a time and money garbage disposal! $2300 fee for one season of play, $5 to $10 a ticket per parent to the tournaments per day to watch her play the sport I've already paid thousands for her to play. No outside food or drink allowed at the tournaments to make sure you use the concession stand, and then you are there all day Saturday and Sunday. They are never less than 30 miles away from home. Then there are the one on one lessons...ugh I I haven't had a free weekend in months, and practice are 3 nights a week from 6pm to 9pm Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
    On the bright side, my kid kicks ass at volley ball, She only 4'11" but she's 100lb of solid muscle. She plays libero so she's on the court the whole game every game. She's quite entertaining to watch. The season was supposed to end last weekend, but the other parents decided they wanted two more tournaments, soooo now I'm out another $130, and two more weekends. But heck the kids happy, and she's to busy to get in trouble.
    We do have this weekend off. So I I'll be cramming like three months worth of weekends "honey do's" into two days.
    What do y'alls kids do? and are you happy about it? Is it as or more costly than what I'm doing? Despite all my gripes, I do enjoy watching her play, and Would rather be doing this stuff than anything else. I'm so friggen proud of her, she's way more dedicated to this than I was at anything when I was her age.
    mine is the one in the black jersey

This is why I want my son into motorsports. If I'm spending several thousand a year...I want it to be on something I enjoy too.

Screw 2300 on volleyball. That's nuts

Comment

And it's probably closer to 3500 after all the other expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        And it's probably closer to 3500 after all the other expenses.
        It's fucking pricey, our club is on the lower end, there's some that range up to like 9k a season. Then there's the traveling teams...

But it's really done a lot for her on the court and in the rest of her life. She lives and breaths this game. She walks around the house with a damn volley ball at home. She practices constantly. and who knows maybe this will lead to scholarships and stuff. She's the quickest player on her team and can jump as high blocking as the girls with a foot more height than her. It's done wonders for her confidence, and at the same time teaching her how to deal with failure. It's worth it.

Comment

My Daughter did softball for 13 years and select for 6 of that, probably one of the most affordable out there compared to the others. About $500 in equip and $150 a month in dues. Traveling local and some instate travel wasn't too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
            This is why I want my son into motorsports. If I'm spending several thousand a year...I want it to be on something I enjoy too.

Screw 2300 on volleyball. That's nuts
            Lol, your poor kid. Come on Dad, don’t be an asshole.
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
              Lol, your poor kid. Come on Dad, don’t be an asshole.
              I mean if hes dead set on something I will support it...but I definitely dont want to be throwing 5K plus away on sports and traveling every weekend for tournaments if I dont have to. I've known a few miserable baseball dads in that boat.

Which is why I am encouraging my son that motorsports is the way! Get him into karting and racing. He loved IndyCar this weekend and has always had an extreme interest in cars.

Comment

This is why I am glad my kids enjoy hunting and fishing too. Not too expensive since we hunt where we live and they hunt off my feeders, out of my blinds, and use our guns and crossbows. So other than their camo, hunting bags, and licenses there really isn't that much added costs. Oh and they get to bring home some groceries!

Comment

Keep up with it, there is a lot of money to be made in women's volleyball...

Comment

5th year with my son in select baseball. I feel your pain. It is nice hearing compliments on his pitching and such. Hopefully it gets him into high school, and possibly college. He's got the natural talent, but is 13.
                    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                    86 SVO - Sold
                    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Honestly I think it is a huge waste of money. Just my opinion and I definitely could be wrong.
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Man, fuck all that.

One of my employees has her daughter in club volleyball and it totally owns her life. The idea was supposed to be to eventually get a volleyball scholarship to college, but at the rate she’s going, she could pay for college outright and have change left over, plus have a social life instead of spending every spare moment doing practice and tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                          Keep up with it, there is a lot of money to be made in women's volleyball...
                          only if I start my own club and fleece other poor idiot parents.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                            Man, fuck all that.

One of my employees has her daughter in club volleyball and it totally owns her life. The idea was supposed to be to eventually get a volleyball scholarship to college, but at the rate she’s going, she could pay for college outright and have change left over, plus have a social life instead of spending every spare moment doing practice and tournaments.
                            My kid is still loving it. If she decides to do something else I'll back it. But for now, it's something we can bond and talk about practice together, and make memories. I'm stressing over the money and time, but also I have a 13 year old daughter that loves spending time with her parents and talks our ears off about her life. It's well worth the cost.
                            Also, I don't think she will get scholarships off of it. If she does, awesome. but kids are pricey, if you don't want to spend the cash, don't make one.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
                              only if I start my own club and fleece other poor idiot parents.
                              Yeah, it was meant to be sarcastic. It could turn into a scholarship for college though.

Edit: I didn't read your post directly above this. Or Blake's post.

Comment

Working...
                              X