Any HVAC Techs Here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any HVAC Techs Here?

My evaporator coil has a big leak in my home. System is only 9 years old and I basically have 3 options. It is a Grandaire system and still using R22 refrigerant.

1. Replace the coil only and recharge with R22 alternative refrigerant. ($1000-$1200)
    2. Replace the air handler with Goodman, charge with R22 alternative refrigerant and replace the condenser down the road when needed and switch to 410A. ($1800-$2300)
    3. Replace the entire system with a new one (Goodman or Amana) with a 410A system. ($4300-$5700)

I've received 2 bids so far from recommended contractors. Both quoted me about the same price on a Goodman 3.5 ton, 14 seer system completed installed which was about $4300. Also got a quote for an Amana 3.5 ton, 16 seer system with lifetime warranty on the compressor for $5700. I do plan on keeping my house for a long time. Plans are to turn it into a rental property down the road so want something that will hopefully last a long time not like the one I have now. If I just replace the coil I will get a 1 year warranty on it. If I replace the air handler I get a 5 year warranty. If I replace the whole system I get a 10 year warranty.

What do you guys recommend? Just replace the coil only, replace the air handler or replace the whole system with the new 410A?

Update: Option 1 is no longer an option. Cost of the coil was too high since it would have to be special ordered. So either replace the air handler or the whole system.

Comment

If you are planning to keep the house, and turn it into a rental, do the entire system to get the 10 year warranty. You should see a decrease in utility bills as well with the more efficient system
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

You can buy R22 a lot cheaper on ebay and order the gauges on amazon to charge it yourself.

Comment

Option 3 on older (yours is getting there) systems is always preferred if you can afford it. Although I'd expect a better life out of these systems, this is TX and I learned not to f around.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Old buddy of mine told me he would do a Rheem 3.5 ton, 14 seer complete system for $3400 out the door. I'm sure it's not some fancy system but the price seems really fair. Said he can do the 16 seer for $4400 if I want to go that route.

Comment

I have a 16 SEER and it fucking rocks! My electric bill is never over $150.xx per month. I keep it 72* in the day and 68* at night all summer long.
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike69 View Post
                Old buddy of mine told me he would do a Rheem 3.5 ton, 14 seer complete system for $3400 out the door. I'm sure it's not some fancy system but the price seems really fair. Said he can do the 16 seer for $4400 if I want to go that route.
                Sounds like the route to go. I spent 10k when I replaced my system and vents.

Comment

Working...
                X