selling a vehicle to carmax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selling a vehicle to carmax

Had a buddy telling me they will generally give just under kbb for a car regardless if you're buying from them or not. Seems like they would be a last resort kind of place and would lowball but figured someone here has had experience with them.

When we were trading in our Accord in at Frank Kent. I made the deal without telling them I was trading in the Accord. When they gave the figure for what they would allow in trade I said I would take it to Carmax and let them bid on it. Before I got to the house the dealer was calling me and upped the offer to keep me from going over to the Carmax lot. They said Carmax usually gave a good price for good cars so they would have to match it to make there deal on the new car.

Comment

Carmax is very competitive with with what they will pay because they are nation wide. A car can be worth more in a different area so it brings up the average. I like to get a quote from them first then use that as leverage at another dealer.
      Originally posted by Marisa
      we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

I have only looked to them once. I was very disappointed with their offer. I did not accept it and sold my vehicle privately for $8,500 more than their offer within a few days. Their offer was $3-4k less than kbb nada trade value. This was on a less than 1 year old 2011 all terrain 6.2 4x4 that was flawless.

Comment

I was offered 10K flat on a car. I thought it was a little low and when we went to consider a newer vehicle and trade in dealer offered 9300 for same car few days later. When I told them I had a CarMax offer they said they would match it.

Comment

They offered $2500 more for my old Altima than Grapevine Ford did when I got my F150. Just dont forget of potential tax savings if you are buying a new vehicle

Comment

I've sold 2 to them. On both, the offers were very reasonable and it was no hassle of dealing with dumbasses on CL or anywhere else. I've had them look at 4 total. 2 weren't so great, but the vehicles weren't very desirable at the time (gas hogs during a time with high gas prices).

It seems to be hit or miss, and to me it's always worth the time to go see what their offer is.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I got a shit offer, but it was on the z06. I've heard of plenty of people getting reasonable offers.
                Originally posted by davbrucas
                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I was going to take my wife's highlander there, and was recommended to call a friend of a friend car dealer. He gets most of the cars on his lot from Carmax, and offered $600 more than whatever they offered. We've had scheduling issues between us, but he wants it really bad.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I've sold them 3 vehicles and had good results. One of them was my old Sonoma, it was a ZQ8 with almost no miles and I had it on Craigslist and several boards and never had a single offer. They gave me around $1k less than I was asking. Didn't bitch about the holes in the door panels or mismatched tires either.

I had a friend rebuild a Cayenne S (it was a clear title but was wrecked pretty badly) and had it for sale for a long time, well over 3 months. Carmax bought it for more than his asking price.

Comment

I sold one once and it was 9 year old 167K mile car. I didn't want to bother with private sale and Carmax offered a lot more than what the dealer was offering for trade-in.
                      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Cool. Looks like I will go check them out. I don't really want to hassle messing with Craigslist and they have a car I want to check out anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
                          Cool. Looks like I will go check them out. I don't really want to hassle messing with Craigslist and they have a car I want to check out anyways.
                          I know at one point they were offering an extra 1k on your trade in, if you bought from them. They dont haggle on the sale price of cars, so that's about the only way to get a "deal"
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I did the same thing when we traded in our last Honda Odyssey. I got an offer from CarMax and when I went to get our Pilot they proceed to tell me how clean it was and then lowballed me. I just pulled out the offer and said, I'll take it to CarMax. Suddenly they could match the CarMax offer.

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
                              Had a buddy telling me they will generally give just under kbb for a car regardless if you're buying from them or not. Seems like they would be a last resort kind of place and would lowball but figured someone here has had experience with them.
                              Dealers in this area use NADA, not KBB. I've done a lot of business with CarMax over the years, and I've probably sold them 50 or so cars, but I've received bids on several hundred. You will never get book value for any of your vehicles from CarMax, it just isn't going to happen, they are a dealer. Trust me, if they paid book value on cars, I would have delivered every one of my units to them. You usually should expect to get about 80% of clean trade value when you sell to them (about the same as you get from auction). Essentially, CarMax will pay you what they expect to pay at auction because they can avoid the fees. The good thing is they will actually buy it for what they say. But they're best utilized for people who need money quickly, or are not wanting the hassle of selling their car to a private buyer.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                              X