Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'kicker' jumps

lets hear your thoughts on this.
    Guy i went with to shady grove broke his femur on a 'kicker' jump sunday.

he text me later from the hospital 'that jump never did that before'

well it was kicking me and everyone else that day, so let's hear your tips / tricks to avoiding this dreaded nose down condition.

basically he landed front tire hard , swapped the bars back and forth and went down bad. Of course a decent concussion too, couldn't remember what weekend it was.

After speaking with the guy riding behind him a bit, he said if you hit it on the right side it didn't kick you.
    Well I tried it over and over later in the day and he seemed wrong it was really the left side that didn't kick so much.
    Any pointers?

Finally getting a little better at jumping just need to keep my confidence up. Took me a LOT of tips to even get my 125 suspension setup right for jumping.
    I would have never guessed how much a click here and there can make a world of difference in how the bike feels. I'm trying new setups everytime I ride now to get a great understanding on how the adjustments all work and the right plushness/feel front / rear.
    a 125 is great to learn on!

Which jump? You got to gas it a little at the peak or remain constant. Most new guys let off or coast when they reach the peak and it will put you nose down every time.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Like mentioned above, a blip of the throttle at the kicker will keep your front end up. Could also be to much rebound on your rear shock.

Comment

no , no I'm not talking about technique or anything bike related setup here.
        I'm talking like what happened.
        you go to the track and no matter how you hit X jump that day it is kicking hard (say do to lack of prep or whatever the face now kicks hard)

what do you do about it?
        I'm seen this at various tracks , various days, various jumps only that day...
        there is always one that is nasty.

do you just pick a new line until it feels better ?

Comment

it is just something that happens. a face gets chewed up, and if you do not see it, it can get you. watch alessi's crash at hangtown's practice.

and for any rider that has to ask about how to jump, just remember this; stay on the gas all the way over any jump. do not let off.

Comment

it's not like you can setup your bike differently for one jump!

Comment

Originally posted by jammeejamm View Post
              it is just something that happens. a face gets chewed up, and if you do not see it, it can get you. watch alessi's crash at hangtown's practice.

and for any rider that has to ask about how to jump, just remember this; stay on the gas all the way over any jump. do not let off.
              exactly this is what im talking about.

Is there anything you can do about a chewed up face / 'kicker' jump

typically 'the jump' everyone is talking about when you get to the track. or I should say bitching about maybe....

Comment

Originally posted by futant View Post
                exactly this is what im talking about.

Is there anything you can do about a chewed up face / 'kicker' jump

typically 'the jump' everyone is talking about when you get to the track. or I should say bitching about maybe....
                Fix it with a shovel.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

the jump has a "kicker" is the way it is explained in most circles.

you either pick another line, or try to compensate for it. the second part comes along as your skill develops.

i spent five days at baylor with a collapsed lung and five broken ribs because of a "kicker." shit just happens riding motorcycles. this shit isn't table tennis.

Comment

shady grove is still open? suite ass!

Comment

yeah shady grove - not very impressive. probably wont be going back

Comment

I went swimming (accidentally) in the giant puddle in the parking area @ Marshall 2 weeks ago. Filled my YZ to the brim with some dirt nastiness. LOL!

Comment

I broke my leg there also, LOL. That place SUCKS.

Comment

Originally posted by jammeejamm View Post
                            i spent five days at baylor with a collapsed lung and five broken ribs because of a "kicker." shit just happens riding motorcycles. this shit isn't table tennis.
                            dayumm
                            see thats why i wants to learn the skills (the easy way if possible)

maybe ill go back to trails .... er I mean table tennis , lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Buick355 View Post
                              I broke my leg there also, LOL. That place SUCKS.
                              some of the guys that ride there were trying to convince me that *prep* is normally better there.

I had my doubts considering we were basically parked in a fucking junkyard and they said that is the ONLY place to park. Even when it's busy , ppl just park in the middle. I was like WTF? the middle ? what fucking middle?

Comment

Working...
                              X