XM-25: I can haz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XM-25: I can haz?

Supposedly, this thing is $25k, and the rounds are $25 each. I still want one.

The XM25 is the deadliest hand weapon in the army arsenal. Why? Because it can fire 25mm rounds that explode at any distance set by the soldier, killing people protected behind walls or trenches. Here it is in action.

The XM25 is the deadliest hand weapon in the army arsenal. Why? Because it can fire 25mm rounds that explode at any distance set by the soldier, killing people protected behind walls or trenches. Here it is in action.

This is how the gas-operated semi-automatic XM25 system works:

• Imagine there is an enemy sniper hiding behind a window in a building.
    • The soldier points the weapon to the building's façade, measuring the distance.
    • Using two buttons on the front handle, he would then add whatever distance he estimates is the correct one to get the 25mm round through the window and into the room, near the enemy.
    • Then he would fire. The smart round knows where it is at all times thanks to its built-in circuitry.
    • When the round reaches the distance set by the soldier, it would explode, killing the enemy with a fragmentation warhead. The round doesn't really have to be very near the enemy. Its blast radius is equivalent to a hand grenade, so these things are extremely dangerous, and almost impossible to survive.

Pretty scary... if you are at the other side of the battlefield. But according to Col. Doug Tamilio—project manager for Soldier weapons with the Army's Program Executive Office Soldier—it will save soldiers' lives. The XM25 is now ready and will be deployed in Afghanistan by the Green Berets. [Military.com via Defense Tech]

Send an email to Jesus Diaz, the author of this post, at jesus@gizmodo.com.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Until I can have the cool rounds to go with it; the one grenade launcher I already have is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
      Until I can have the cool rounds to go with it; the one grenade launcher I already have is enough.
      This is one case where your penis-replacement of a gun collection has no bearing. You're still cool with me, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
        This is one case where your penis-replacement of a gun collection has no bearing. You're still cool with me, though.
        lolz!

god bless.
        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
          LOL!

But that is a badass rig, I would love to shoot one.
          Originally posted by lincolnboy
          After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Its ugly as piss though!! I still wouldnt turn it down if someone handed one to me though

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
              Its ugly as piss though!! I still wouldnt turn it down if someone handed one to me though

Doesn't look so bad to me!

Originally posted by lincolnboy
              After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

It's the OICW v2.0
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Where do spent shells go I wonder? Also I wonder how long it takes to get a range reading and set where the projectile blows? I guess I need to find some video on it. Looks like a cool weapon (I mean purpose wise, I still say its ugly as fuck) but seems like it may be a lot to do in the middle of a firefight.

**EDIT**

I guess you can select to send the spent shells either left or right. Thats pretty cool!

Last edited by Lason; 11-30-2010, 06:09 PM.

Comment

All we need now is mass reactive warheads and a hybrid gunpowder/rocket propulsion system and voila!

Comment

looks heavy as fuck. and you have to stick your head out twice, once to range and once to fire. I'll pass.

Comment

Originally posted by jwalk View Post
                        looks heavy as fuck. and you have to stick your head out twice, once to range and once to fire. I'll pass.
                        I would think it'd beat the shit out of laser-designating for an airstrike on a guy you can't dig out, and one gun would cost less than one airstrike, so it has that going for it.

Comment

Working...
                        X