Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official DFWMustangs Mountain Bike thread, sponsored by Brawndo, Osiris and Dos Equis

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuk... U have an SOP on tire size?! I'm sorry to hear that man. Mine doesn't seem to care. I got those crossroads on, plus I took of that bag rack and bag and replaced it with just a seat bag. My red led light is mounted to the bag and the POLICE Velcro strips that we're on the Janco bag are now mounted to the forks. Looks good.

Comment

• I have a saddle bag that attaches to the seat post of my Camber. Are you guys coming to our race? Keller, right?
      Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

• I talked to some of my sponsors and sent the info out, hopefully we get some feedback and get you guys some sponsors and swag.

I will let you know if I hear anything.

Comment

• Hey Luis, next chance u get, PM or text me the rules. Not much for rules on the flyer we got.
          I am glad to here that whatever we ride on duty is allowed. My tires and seat bag were making me nervous!

But I have friends from other dept calling me asking things like, can teams be multiagency, what if the bike is ur personal bike/or there isnt enough city bikes that you want to bring ur own mtb, etc.

Comment

• Iv got a few questions about bikes.
            1. Im 6'4 215lbs. How do I figure out what size bike to get?
            2. Im thinking about getting a mountain bike so I can ride some trails occasionally but Id also like to be able to ride it on the street. Could I just get one set of wheels/tires for off road and one set for on road and be good?

Comment

• Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
              Iv got a few questions about bikes.
              1. Im 6'4 215lbs. How do I figure out what size bike to get?
              2. Im thinking about getting a mountain bike so I can ride some trails occasionally but Id also like to be able to ride it on the street. Could I just get one set of wheels/tires for off road and one set for on road and be good?
              1. U would probably be in a 21+ frame but u would benefit from going to a reputable bike shop and having them size u.
              2. Yes this is possible. My police bike is my personally bought 2011 Specialized Rockhopper 29er that I have 700x38mm road tires on em. At home, I have a set of 29x2.0 knobby tires that I swap out. It becomes a pain in the ass to swap them I'll admit. I have a second bike that I use exclusively for mtn biking. That bike has tubeless 29x2.2 in the front and 29x2.0 in the rear. As for buying a second set of rims, u will be spending bookoo money... Rims aren't cheap, plus you have to buy a similar cassette (rear gears) and disks if ur rolling disk brakes. My cheap ass just swaps tires and tubes on my rockhopper. Cheapest way but will eat away at tubes after a while. Hope this helps!
              Last edited by Tannerm; 08-16-2012, 02:54 AM.

Comment

• Another option if you think you are going to be doing more road then dirt is a cyclocross bike. These bikes are a basically a modified road bike. They come with Cantilever brakes and knobby tires so they can be ridden on trails or pavement. You can put regular 700x23 road tires on it and still have a pretty efficient road bike, and if you want to go on the dirt you can too.

What you really have to look at is, "what am I going to do more"? Just like anything you need the right tool for the job. You can't have a drag car that also turns corners, it is same thing when it comes to bikes. You have to sacrifice one for the other.

Comment

• I went and rode some new bikes today. One of the Specialized bikes had a remote lockout for the front suspension. Is there any real use for it or is it just a gimmick to get people to buy it?

Comment

• Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
                    I went and rode some new bikes today. One of the Specialized bikes had a remote lockout for the front suspension. Is there any real use for it or is it just a gimmick to get people to buy it?
                    That is a make it or break it feature for me. I will not own another suspension fork without a lockout. Most of the time if the trail is not too rough I have mine locked for efficiency. I ride pavement and dirt. Full time suspension gets old.

The handlebar mount remote switch is a little unnecessary.

Comment

• My scott came with a remote lockout on the bars. I have used it twice. I pulled it off. The only down side is if you remove the remote lockout you can not manually lock out the fork. You have to get a new valve body with a manual lock, but my bike only see's trails so I am not concerned about needing it locked.

Comment

• DORBA isn't working for me right now. Does anyone know if river legacy is open? Wantbto go running at lunch.

Comment

• Comment

• Does anyone here own a fairdale bike?

Comment

• Originally posted by Beej View Post
                              Thanks

Comment

• Northshore Scout camp at 5:45 today if anyone is interested. Nice easy 10-10.5 pace. Bring a light as sun is starting to go down early.

Comment

Working...
                                X