Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official DFWMustangs Mountain Bike thread, sponsored by Brawndo, Osiris and Dos Equis

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FullSizeMike View Post
    Go tubeless. youtube ghetto tubeless if you don't have tubeless rims. I have had good success with running gorilla tape/stans in mine. Have several hundred miles with no problems.

I ran a night ride the other night at North Shore for the first time. It was an added level of difficulty. I took my time, but still managed over 8mph for 12 miles. It was pretty fun.
    If you buy a stan's kit you can make any rim tubeless. Pretty easy to setup and little to no maintenance.

Comment

• I was checking over my bike and noticed that the rear cassette wobbles a little. Does this mean that the axle is bent or something?
      Not my bike but mine does the same thing

Comment

• Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
        I was checking over my bike and noticed that the rear cassette wobbles a little. Does this mean that the axle is bent or something?
        Not my bike but mine does the same thing
        Could be several things. Could be a loose cassette. There is a screw in retaining plate that holds the cassette tight. You will need a cassette tool to tighten that. If that is tight is most likely a bearing. You can't really bend an axle.
        Wheels that come on lower end bikes are usually the first casualty to any kind of hard riding. Take the wheel to your local shop and have them look at it. If bearing are bad or any major work needs to be done, but a new wheel.

Comment

• Any of you guys do any endurance racing? I'm going to try the Superman next weekend. 100K mix of mtn biking and the trinity trail. I figure it will take me @7hrs. Any advice from anyone? Never done anything like this before.

Comment

Any of you guys do any endurance racing? I'm going to try the Superman next weekend. 100K mix of mtn biking and the trinity trail. I figure it will take me @7hrs. Any advice from anyone? Never done anything like this before.

You need these along the ride:
            Carbs
            H2O
            Sodium (Na+)
            Potassium (K+)
            Chloride (Cl-)
            Calcium (Ca++)
            Magnesium (Mg++)

Comment

Any of you guys do any endurance racing? I'm going to try the Superman next weekend. 100K mix of mtn biking and the trinity trail. I figure it will take me @7hrs. Any advice from anyone? Never done anything like this before.
              I know a few folks doing it. I have a conflict, I will be in Kileen doing a road race. If you can finish that race there is another one at the end of the month that goes from Ft. Worth to Dallas via the trail system, roads and no roads. It is 75 miles. There is also a great 60 mile gravel grinder race in Valley view in February called the chainring massacre.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beej View Post
                I know a few folks doing it. I have a conflict, I will be in Kileen doing a road race. If you can finish that race there is another one at the end of the month that goes from Ft. Worth to Dallas via the trail system, roads and no roads. It is 75 miles. There is also a great 60 mile gravel grinder race in Valley view in February called the chainring massacre.
                Yep, Ive seen those. This will be my first race of any kind, so I'll see how I feel. Might be something I get into, but I just don't know yet. I'm still pretty heavy at 260lbs, but I feel good cardio-wise. Then again I've never done anything for this long. I'll finish as long as I don't crash or hurt myself. I rode 38 miles Sat and didn't have any problems. Just worked on pace. I'm going to have fun on the mountain bike stuff and just pace myself on the trinity. I was out at Sansom today, and the Lone Wolf loop will be in the race from the markers. It's got stout climbs, but I think I'll have fun.

Comment

Yep, Ive seen those. This will be my first race of any kind, so I'll see how I feel. Might be something I get into, but I just don't know yet. I'm still pretty heavy at 260lbs, but I feel good cardio-wise. Then again I've never done anything for this long. I'll finish as long as I don't crash or hurt myself. I rode 38 miles Sat and didn't have any problems. Just worked on pace. I'm going to have fun on the mountain bike stuff and just pace myself on the trinity. I was out at Sansom today, and the Lone Wolf loop will be in the race from the markers. It's got stout climbs, but I think I'll have fun.
                  Good luck to ya, and stick with it. Keep training and don't worry it will get easier, it never stops hurting but it gets easier

Comment

Good luck to ya, and stick with it. Keep training and don't worry it will get easier, it never stops hurting but it gets easier
                    I rode with a guy last week that had a nice cyclocross bike. I need one of those for some of these events. Superman was postponed to the 27th. This wet weather is wearing me out. Feels like a long time since I rode trails.

Comment

• I usually ride my cross bike on gravel grinders and these cross navigation type races where you are on 50% trail and 50% road. Makes for an easier and more efficient ride. Now is the time to get a cross bike too. Everyone is getting rid of all of them since the season is pretty much over. Sun and Ski has some Fuji cross bikes marked down right now.

I will probably be doing the chain ring massacre next month on my cross bike. There is also a race next weekend from fort worth to Dallas. Txbra.org and bikereg.com has many of them listed as well as usa cycling.

I am planning on a crit next weekend but if I don't do that I will do the ft. worth to dallas race.

Comment

There is also a race next weekend from fort worth to Dallas. Txbra.org and bikereg.com has many of them listed as well as usa cycling.
                        Do they offer a carpool to get back to your vehicle?
                        I guess I could just ride the train

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                          Do they offer a carpool to get back to your vehicle?
                          I guess I could just ride the train
                          Everyone is just riding the train back.

If I go my wife is going to drop me off in Ft. Worth and pick me up in Dallas.

Comment

Everyone is just riding the train back.

If I go my wife is going to drop me off in Ft. Worth and pick me up in Dallas.
                            Do you have a link for this specific event?

Comment

I haven't ridden any of the trails the race is routed through. What are the technicalities of the designated trail systems?

I have two bikes to choose from. I will purchase tires to suit the terrain. How much of the race is actually paved vs hardpack?

MTB 26" Stumpjumper Aluminum frame, rigid, 24 speed
                              or
                              Urban-oriented 700c All-city chromoly frame, rigid, fixed gear

Comment

Working...
                              X