Sous vide steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YALE View Post
    I was about to post that the new ones were $130. I just took the plunge, and I love it.
    Any of you know any other codes? I want one, but not sure I want to pay $200

Comment

I'm waiting on my Anova to come in and then I'm dong a few ribeyes like this. I don't have a vacuum sealer, but can I just take all of the air I can in a freezer bag and leave it in for two hours then cook it?

I also have a IR instead of a side burner on my grill, I'm going to do 1- miniute a side to char them up. I hope it works good for me. I'll post pics...
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
        I'm waiting on my Anova to come in and then I'm dong a few ribeyes like this. I don't have a vacuum sealer, but can I just take all of the air I can in a freezer bag and leave it in for two hours then cook it?

I also have a IR instead of a side burner on my grill, I'm going to do 1- miniute a side to char them up. I hope it works good for me. I'll post pics...
        Freezer bags work well, and the displacement method yale mentioned should help you get rid of the air.

Ziploc also offers bags that are specifically for this, and they come with a little hand pump. Theyre cheaper than a foodsaver and easier as well. Or just regular ziploc bags are used as well

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
          Any of you know any other codes? I want one, but not sure I want to pay $200
          I do t have a code, but just hold off. They run those sales frequently

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
          Freezer bags work well, and the displacement method yale mentioned should help you get rid of the air.

Ziploc also offers bags that are specifically for this, and they come with a little hand pump. Theyre cheaper than a foodsaver and easier as well. Or just regular ziploc bags are used as well

Using a regular zip loc bag is certainly not sous vide. That's basically boiling in a bag. And those chinchy little ziploc handheld pumps and bags don't work very well either in my experience.

The whole thing about sous vide means it is under a vacuum. Otherwise, you're just cooking in a water bath. There isn't anything wrong with that, but water bath =/= sous vide. If it is not under a vacuum, you don't get the full benefit. Those hand pumps don't really achieve that, and for that matter neither does a Food Saver (unless there is a new model I'm not aware of). Although a food saver will get you closer to a vacuum than anything else available for residential use.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

what kind of spices are yall using on steaks? yea i know salt pepper, but what else?

i use penzy's spices (they make a lot of good shit) and my favorite right now, is olive oil and then a generous amount of shallot pepper. pretty good

Comment

This is what I've been putting on my steaks lately.

Comment

I didnt really notice a difference between the ziplock vacuum bags and the foodsaver. Its not like the food saver pulls 29 inches of mercury or anything. In all honesty the food savers pull pretty weak vacuums...MAYBE 20 inches. Im not sure what ziplock does but its probably just a bit less.

Obviously i dont know about commercial stuff. Does anyone really want to pull that much of a vacuum on their food?

Comment

Only things my steaks get are olive oil, kosher salt, and ground black pepper. Every now and then I'll melt a pat of butter over it.
                  Originally posted by davbrucas
                  I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                    I didnt really notice a difference between the ziplock vacuum bags and the foodsaver. Its not like the food saver pulls 29 inches of mercury or anything. In all honesty the food savers pull pretty weak vacuums...MAYBE 20 inches. Im not sure what ziplock does but its probably just a bit less.

Obviously i dont know about commercial stuff. Does anyone really want to pull that much of a vacuum on their food?
                    Marinades and sauces penetrate further in to the meat under a vacuum. And yes, people really do want to pull a vacuum. There is a reason the French do what they do.

As for seasoning a steak, nothing but salt, pepper, and butter when it comes off. If I'm making steaks elsewhere, and a really shitty cut, I'll use Montreal seasoning. But it has to be pretty bad to get that.

I'll occasionally top them with onions cooked in a red wine reduction and blue cheese. But that is only once or twice a year. I'm not a fan of blue cheese.

Comment

I know theres a desire for vacuum, but what level of vacuum is good for this application?

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                        what kind of spices are yall using on steaks? yea i know salt pepper, but what else?

i use penzy's spices (they make a lot of good shit) and my favorite right now, is olive oil and then a generous amount of shallot pepper. pretty good
                        Salt 2-4 hours prior to cooking. Olive oil prior to hitting the grill to prevent sticking. A bit of black pepper after they come off and a finger of Kerrygold butter.
                        Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                        I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                        Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                        Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                        dont downshift!!
                        Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

I'm cutting up a Ribeye primal on Saturday, if anyone wants to come hang out in a gun store. Mostly because 'MURICA.
                          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

lowest price I've seen for this one

Comment

I need to order the wifi model.

Anova just announced a new unit too which is also $99, but I don't know specifics.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                                I need to order the wifi model.

Anova just announced a new unit too which is also $99, but I don't know specifics.
                                tell me more.
                                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                                X