No announcement yet.

Cooking the perfect steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I buy big, thick prime filets at Central Market, usually 2.5-3" thick, 12-16 oz. Bigger than baseballs. I never freeze them; I eat them the day they are bought. I let them sit out for an hour or two and then I brush them with olive oil, and then give them a pretty good coating of sea salt and garlic pepper, just to make a tasty crust when they are cooked.

I burn a lot of Mesquite lump charcoal (also from Central Market) for a good hot fire, and I just wait until the flames die down and the coals are glowing orange and mostly coated white. I spray some Pam on the grill so the steaks won't stick.

I have found that timing is everything. Guessing at it or just going by feel or looks never resulted in a perfect steak for me. Mind you, these are thick steaks, so I let them go about 3.5 mins per side for medium-rare or 4.5 mins on each side for medium. I cook with the grill closed except to flip and remove. I use the timer on my Iphone and I have it down to the very second.

This method has consitently turned out amazing steaks at my house. Unfortunately, it's not much cheaper than going to Bob's. I wish I had a hookup on the meat.

Comment

I like sauces no matter how the food is cooked. Beef, pork, chicken doesnt matter.
      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

The good thing about sauces is that they can improve the flavor of cheap meat. I like A-1 Bold and Spicy, although it's not carried at my local Albertson's. Fuckers.

The bad thing about sauces is that they fuck up good meat. There jus isn't any reason to hide awesome, unique, natural flavor with a bottled flavor off the shelf.

Comment

The surest way to ruin a steak is to cook it too long.

Even medium rare is a bit done for me. I prefer blue, although most restaurants will only serve rare.

Comment

How to dramatically improve the flavor of your steaks with this method. By cookbook author and TV chef Jaden of Steamy Kitchen

Anyways... i'll usually just buy cheap ol T-Bone Steaks and cook them in a pan.

I usually just put salt and pepper. My gf eats everything with a sauce so i dont mind her using A1 after... But if she used ketchup, i'd have to Chris Brown her hahaha.. i kid
            Originally posted by 03trubluGT
            Your opinion is what sucks.
            You are too stupied and arrogant

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
              I buy big, thick prime filets at Central Market, usually 2.5-3" thick, 12-16 oz. Bigger than baseballs. I never freeze them; I eat them the day they are bought. I let them sit out for an hour or two and then I brush them with olive oil, and then give them a pretty good coating of sea salt and garlic pepper, just to make a tasty crust when they are cooked.

I burn a lot of Mesquite lump charcoal (also from Central Market) for a good hot fire, and I just wait until the flames die down and the coals are glowing orange and mostly coated white. I spray some Pam on the grill so the steaks won't stick.

I have found that timing is everything. Guessing at it or just going by feel or looks never resulted in a perfect steak for me. Mind you, these are thick steaks, so I let them go about 3.5 mins per side for medium-rare or 4.5 mins on each side for medium. I cook with the grill closed except to flip and remove. I use the timer on my Iphone and I have it down to the very second.

This method has consitently turned out amazing steaks at my house. Unfortunately, it's not much cheaper than going to Bob's. I wish I had a hookup on the meat.
              This!! I am also an extreme purist and steak fanatic. Olive oil, garlic, salt, n pepper are my combo. I also use mesquite chipped charcoal u can get anywhere to get a good hot fire going. Usually let it burn for about an hour before putting steaks on. If it aint cool and pinkish/red in the middle with blood seeping out, it aint my kind o steak.

My wife also grew up with shoe leather steaks. I CANNOT break her of A1 sauce... Oh well...

Comment

there's no blood in steak
                http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                  there's no blood in steak
                  Correct. It's water and muscle tissue. So when someone tells you "I don't like my steak bloody", tell them what a dumbass they are.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

it's been posted before, but this is the easiest and best way to cook a steak at home that in know of.

Pan Seared Rib Eye
                    Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
                    Show: Good Eats Episode: Steak Your Claim
                    Rated: 5 stars out of 5

Ingredients
                    1 boneless rib eye steak, 1 1/2-inch thick
                    Canola oil to coat
                    Kosher salt and ground black pepper
                    Directions
                    Place 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees. Bring steak(s) to room temperature.

When oven reaches temperature, remove pan and place on range over high heat. Coat steak lightly with oil and season both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper to taste.

Immediately place steak in the middle of hot, dry pan. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium rare steaks. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns.)

Remove steak from pan, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 2 minutes. Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate
                    www.hppmotorsports.com
                    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Does putting sea salt on a steak for around 30 min then rinse off really help? I normally brush olive oil,little salt, and some pepper and grill it. I read an article that mentioned putting sea salt on steak prior to doing anything to it for about 30 min so the salt can absorb the water. Mentions that doing that will help steak be more tender??

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
                        Does putting sea salt on a steak for around 30 min then rinse off really help? I normally brush olive oil,little salt, and some pepper and grill it. I read an article that mentioned putting sea salt on steak prior to doing anything to it for about 30 min so the salt can absorb the water. Mentions that doing that will help steak be more tender??
                        Read the link in post #20.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Room temp, salt and pepper then on the grill as hot as I can get it (around 700 usually) 2.5 min each side using tongs to flip.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
                            i'll let it sit for an hour to really get everything out .
                            Originally posted by 03trubluGT
                            Your opinion is what sucks.
                            You are too stupied and arrogant

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                              Read the link in post #20.

Talk about science...haha

Gonna leave mine for another 30 min like it says.

Comment

If you guys like a soy taste.

Find this shit called alegro marinade. Its the closest i've found to omaha steaks liquid marinade. Most wal marts have it.

It is easy to get carried away with this stuff.

I'll take two steaks wash them under water to get the bone off from the saw.

a slight bit of tenderizing salt, pepper, and the alegro marinade. Put it in the fridge in a zip lock for a few hours.

Grill 700 sear each side and pour more marinade on it once you flip it per side. I like mine med/rare.

MMMM MMM MMMm. There is nothing like farm raised cattle.

Comment

Working...
                                X