Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why am I fascinated with oddball calibers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why am I fascinated with oddball calibers?

I posted a thread like this over on Canada, but I thought I'd revive the discussion. I've shot a ton of readily available calibers, and they all do what they're supposed to. I'm just fascinated with some of the others. I think .224 and .308 based cartridges are interesting, but I'm more and more interested in 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, and .338 based cartridges. Add in to that an increasing budget for projects, and I may be a busy cat this year! Anyone else like all this weirdo stuff?
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Most recently, I've been interested in .338 Whisper #2, and 7mm-08AI.

Comment

I'm interested in them too, but my budget trumps my interest.
      I'd really like to have a .338 Lapua anything.
      I'm going to do a .300 Fireball (Whisper) some day soon though.
      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Only oddball catirdges I get into are black powder that I have to reload.

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
          I'm interested in them too, but my budget trumps my interest.
          I'd really like to have a .338 Lapua anything.
          I'm going to do a .300 Fireball (Whisper) some day soon though.
          PM CJ. He had a link for 16" drop-in barrels setup for carbine gas systems for $265. Not too shabby. You should be able to put a rifle together with our group buys for around $550.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
            Only oddball catirdges I get into are black powder that I have to reload.
            Yeah, but I bet .45-120 is awesome to shoot. Might as well be a blackpowder cannon or something. BTW, are those* NFA-regulated?

*EDIT: By, "those," I mean blackpowder cannons.
            Last edited by YALE; 03-02-2011, 08:27 AM.

Comment

I'd like a .338-06 myself. It would have to be reloaded which I don't mind, but I really don't need something like that either.

Comment

I am scared of oddball calibers. Seems like a bunch of them are fads that fade away quick, and then the people who have guns that shoot them have trouble finding ammo.

That being said I am interested in 300 whisper!
                Originally posted by lincolnboy
                After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                  I am scared of oddball calibers. Seems like a bunch of them are fads that fade away quick, and then the people who have guns that shoot them have trouble finding ammo.

That being said I am interested in 300 whisper!
                  I get what you're saying. The only proprietary cartridge I'd get into would be the 6.5x47 Lapua, and even that could be made from a .308 Win case if there wasn't another source. All the stuff I'm interested in can be readily made from common cases, with common projectiles. Fuck proprietary cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                    I get what you're saying. The only proprietary cartridge I'd get into would be the 6.5x47 Lapua, and even that could be made from a .308 Win case if there wasn't another source. All the stuff I'm interested in can be readily made from common cases, with common projectiles. Fuck proprietary cases.
                    Ah, I gotcha. Well I have an oddball case you might be interested in then. Its called 17 BMG incinerator, and is made from a 50bmg case necked down to .17-

And yes, some dude made it as a joke, lol
                    Originally posted by lincolnboy
                    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                      Ah, I gotcha. Well I have an oddball case you might be interested in then. Its called 17 BMG incinerator, and is made from a 50bmg case necked down to .17-

And yes, some dude made it as a joke, lol
                      It is believed that the attempted firing of this round is responsible for the jfk assassination. It's believed the projectile achieved such a high velocity it tore a hole in time and space and literally became 'the magic bullet.'

But seriously, I want to chamber an AR in .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                        It is believed that the attempted firing of this round is responsible for the jfk assassination. It's believed the projectile achieved such a high velocity it tore a hole in time and space and literally became 'the magic bullet.'

But seriously, I want to chamber an AR in .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer.
                        The PO Ackley page says some Australian guy necked .22-250 down to .17, and it went almost 150fps faster than the .22EL. Crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                          The PO Ackley page says some Australian guy necked .22-250 down to .17, and it went almost 150fps faster than the .22EL. Crazy.
                          No one has made it to 1 mile per second in a standard cartridge yet?
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                            No one has made it to 1 mile per second in a standard cartridge yet?
                            I can hear the gears turning in your head from PA, and I want in.

Comment

Originally posted by yale View Post
                              i can hear the gears turning in your head from pa, and i want in.
                              lmao!

Comment

Working...
                              X