DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > DFW Sports Central

DFW Sports Central Forum for all Sports related discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
AnthonyS
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,748
Default Rangers 2018!

Signed more pitchers this offseason than any other team. They signed Fister (aging but once really good), Moore (young and very good), and Minor who has potential too. Adding 3 starters to Hamels / Perez makes the rangers something they've never been heading into any season, a team with a real starting pitching rotation.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
BP
infidel
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 19,088
Default

Yeah so Martin Perez is a damned moron and broke his elbow in a "freak bull accident". It's his non throwing elbow but still he's down for a few months.

Juan Pablo Martinez is a name we all should hopefully be familiar with soon. We couldn't blow our international signing pool on Ohtani so he's the next best thing and we really need a center fielder.

Also of note the current depth chart only has one right handed starting pitcher in Doug Fister. I think we'll either spend too much money and bring Darvish back or slightly over pay for Alex Cobb.

Personally I'd rather have Arrieta than either though. We should get a home town discount. He has a very fresh world series ring and is only 3 years removed from a Cy Young. Something the Rangers haven't seen in a very long time. Darvish is a better pitcher most of the year but Arrieta is a way better pitcher under pressure.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
AnthonyS
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,748
Default

Darvish isn't better; he makes about half his scheduled starts if that. Darvish is the last pitcher we need especially since we need to beat the Astros. If we sign Darvish, the Astros will gladly pay half his salary.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
BP
infidel
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 19,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
Darvish isn't better; he makes about half his scheduled starts if that. Darvish is the last pitcher we need especially since we need to beat the Astros. If we sign Darvish, the Astros will gladly pay half his salary.
He made 31 starts and threw 186 innings last year. That's one start shy and two more innings than Martin Perez, our most worked pitcher last season. The only Astro with more starts was Brad Peacock at 34 but he only pitched 132 innings.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #5
AnthonyS
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
He made 31 starts and threw 186 innings last year. That's one start shy and two more innings than Martin Perez, our most worked pitcher last season. The only Astro with more starts was Brad Peacock at 34 but he only pitched 132 innings.
Last year in a contract year..... post his career averages for everyone and show the truth.

Darvish is the TO or AI of MLB. All the talent in the world, doesn't listen to coaches, low commitment to team, and doesn't give a rip. Potential never delivered in is not worth spending a dime. Watching rack up walks, HRs, Ls, and missing starts trying to strike everyone out has been a total failure for the Rangers and Dodgers. Let some other team suffer.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #6
BP
infidel
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 19,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
Last year in a contract year..... post his career averages for everyone and show the truth.
2012 16-9 191.1 IP 29 starts
2013 13-9 209.2 IP 32 starts
2014 10-7 144.1 IP 22 starts

Note that he probably had a torn UCL through most of 2014 and wanted to pitch through it. JD benched him though since the team sucked that year.

2016 7-5 100.1 IP 17 starts in a comeback year from Tommy John again with a light workload not making a start until the end of May.

Also note that his contract would allow him to opt out early if he had a certain number of innings pitched. I don't remember the exact terms but had he pitched a full load in 2012 and 2014 he would have been a free agent last season. Also if he finished in the top two of the Cy Young award back to back. He finished 2nd in 2013.

He's a better pitcher than you're giving him credit for and he's good here.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:05 PM   #7
pHILSANITY07
The Rams Do Not Suck
 
pHILSANITY07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,681
Default

There has been a rumor that the Rangers are interested in Lorenzo Cain for the Center field position. Also heard either yesterday or Tuesday on the radio that Carlos Gomez is interested in a contract.
__________________
Los Angeles Rams 11-5
Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions
pHILSANITY07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #8
AnthonyS
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
2012 16-9 191.1 IP 29 starts
2013 13-9 209.2 IP 32 starts
2014 10-7 144.1 IP 22 starts

Note that he probably had a torn UCL through most of 2014 and wanted to pitch through it. JD benched him though since the team sucked that year.

2016 7-5 100.1 IP 17 starts in a comeback year from Tommy John again with a light workload not making a start until the end of May.

Also note that his contract would allow him to opt out early if he had a certain number of innings pitched. I don't remember the exact terms but had he pitched a full load in 2012 and 2014 he would have been a free agent last season. Also if he finished in the top two of the Cy Young award back to back. He finished 2nd in 2013.

He's a better pitcher than you're giving him credit for and he's good here.
He has less Ws during his time in the majors than stud's like Scott Feldman, and no one wants Feldman.

Yes he is BETTER, that's the problem. He's like Dez, TO or AI. He's awesome, but he never delivers on the promise of awesome. So compare him to an awesome pitcher like Verlander over the last 5 years and it's really awful.

Darvish is an awesome pitcher.... that delivers mediocre results and when it really freakin matters, he's on the DL or sucks (see WS). No thanks.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:23 AM   #9
BP
infidel
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 19,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHILSANITY07 View Post
There has been a rumor that the Rangers are interested in Lorenzo Cain for the Center field position. Also heard either yesterday or Tuesday on the radio that Carlos Gomez is interested in a contract.
Cain signed with the Brewers yesterday.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #10
pHILSANITY07
The Rams Do Not Suck
 
pHILSANITY07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
Cain signed with the Brewers yesterday.
Kinda glad about that. Cain is in his early 30's and I didn't want the Rangers to sign him to that long of a contract.
__________________
Los Angeles Rams 11-5
Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions
pHILSANITY07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:17 PM   #11
pHILSANITY07
The Rams Do Not Suck
 
pHILSANITY07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,681
Default

Rangers gave minor league contracts to Bartolo Colon and Johnathan Niese with an invitation to Spring Training. Betting that's because Martin Perez injured his non throwing arm during this offseason.

Also signed former Cardinal closer Seung-Hwan Oh to a contract.
__________________
Los Angeles Rams 11-5
Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions
pHILSANITY07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:51 AM   #12
AnthonyS
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,748
Default

Bartolo is like the newest version of Charlie Hough..... he just keeps going out to the mound. His kids will retire before he does.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #13
pHILSANITY07
The Rams Do Not Suck
 
pHILSANITY07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,681
Default

Darvish signed a 6 year deal with the Cubs that could amount to being $150 Million with added incentives.

Wonder if the Rangers will see about signing Jake Arrietta.
__________________
Los Angeles Rams 11-5
Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions
pHILSANITY07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #14
BP
infidel
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 19,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHILSANITY07 View Post
Wonder if the Rangers will see about signing Jake Arrietta.
The Cubs wanted him first and settled on Darvish. I doubt we'll offer more than they did.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #15
BP
infidel
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 19,088
Default

In other news Esteban Loiza apparently is a drug king pin now, or was. https://www.lonestarball.com/2018/2/...-texas-rangers
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:11 AM   #16
AnthonyS
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHILSANITY07 View Post
Darvish signed a 6 year deal with the Cubs that could amount to being $150 Million with added incentives.

Wonder if the Rangers will see about signing Jake Arrietta.
Thank you Chicago! You can have him!
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #17
BP
infidel
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 19,088
Default

And for some reason they came to terms with Trevor Plouffe today? https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...newstopstories

Because we need another utility infielder to backup Profar, Alberto, Middlebrooks and Drew Robinson?
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:52 PM   #18
CJ
User is editing post
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 37,676
Default

I'm thinking the Rangers are going to be a dumpster fire.
__________________
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #19
BP
infidel
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 19,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
I'm thinking the Rangers are going to be a dumpster fire.
It's going to be really tough to beat the Astros but also note that Beltre may be retiring after this season and Elvis can opt out after this year. They are both heavily motivated to win now. DeShields, Mazara and Gallo are all pre arbritration eligible so they are playing for a long term deal.

We have Elvis, Odor, Beltre, Mazara, Gallo, Choo and now Willie Calhoun in a regular lineup. Compare that to the late 90s with Gonzales, Pudge and Rusty Greer and I like our chances. We really didn't have any pitching back then either.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #20
CJ
User is editing post
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 37,676
Default

Our problem has always been pitching.
__________________
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:18 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.