This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
    I sprayed some liquid ironite last weekend trying to get the deep green without the growth surge.
    thanks for the tip. never thought of adding that to the lawn. did a quick search and you're right growth in the summer is bad. puts too much stress on the lawn

on another note. anyone care to comment on my watering regiment. for example, we just received a ton of rain. I'll continue to water a bit every other day until the ground just completely dries up (in this heat 5-6 days). After that, it won't see water until the next time it rains.

my reasoning gives me nothing but pros. don't have to mow, conserve water and don't have to be outside (mowing and watering)

any downsides to doing this to my lawn???

Comment

Originally posted by hxbernal View Post
      thanks for the tip. never thought of adding that to the lawn. did a quick search and you're right growth in the summer is bad. puts too much stress on the lawn

on another note. anyone care to comment on my watering regiment. for example, we just received a ton of rain. I'll continue to water a bit every other day until the ground just completely dries up (in this heat 5-6 days). After that, it won't see water until the next time it rains.

my reasoning gives me nothing but pros. don't have to mow, conserve water and don't have to be outside (mowing and watering)

any downsides to doing this to my lawn???
      As infrequent as rain can be this time of year, stopping irrigation to the yard will burn it up. If it is fed properly it will help the drought tolerance. I held of watering my yard and that is why the front yard looks so thin, it almost completely burned up on me. The type of grass you have will ultimately determine the amount of water you need to keep it alive. I would try to put 1" of water to it, minimum, per week.
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

As infrequent as rain can be this time of year, stopping irrigation to the yard will burn it up. If it is fed properly it will help the drought tolerance. I held of watering my yard and that is why the front yard looks so thin, it almost completely burned up on me. The type of grass you have will ultimately determine the amount of water you need to keep it alive. I would try to put 1" of water to it, minimum, per week.
        Were talking about a 100% thick and healthy picture perfect St Augustine lawn.

This is something new I just started this summer. Before this weeks rain it went damn near 3 weeks without being watered. Yes, it did slightly yellow up but so did my neighbors who were out there watering regularly. After the rain it's back to looking awesome.

Comment

Were talking about a 100% thick and healthy picture perfect St Augustine lawn.

This is something new I just started this summer. Before this weeks rain it went damn near 3 weeks without being watered. Yes, it did slightly yellow up but so did my neighbors who were out there watering regularly. After the rain it's back to looking awesome.
          That is probably a question for zemog. St. Augustine, in my experience, requires a lot more water than bermuda. I'm not sure how the stress cycle would harm the sod, let alone walking that fine line between stressed sod and HFS my yard is dead.

Comment

I turned my sprinklers on last Friday for the first time all year and rand them a handful of times through yesterday morning. Grass has been thick and lush all year with minimal if any weeds. I only turned the water on because they were coming to aerate on Tuesday. We mowed a little shorter and needed to make sure the ground was soft enough. With the little bit of rain we've had, sprinklers go back off. I'm a cheap bastard but I like my grass thick and green. The company who treats the yard has done a good job in conjunction with what I do to make it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
              I turned my sprinklers on last Friday for the first time all year and rand them a handful of times through yesterday morning. Grass has been thick and lush all year with minimal if any weeds. I only turned the water on because they were coming to aerate on Tuesday. We mowed a little shorter and needed to make sure the ground was soft enough. With the little bit of rain we've had, sprinklers go back off. I'm a cheap bastard but I like my grass thick and green. The company who treats the yard has done a good job in conjunction with what I do to make it that way.
              A testament to the fact that feeding the lawn is just as, if not more, important as water.

Comment

A testament to the fact that feeding the lawn is just as, if not more, important as water.
                Without a doubt. Keep the soil healthy and you'll like the results. That, and mow it to a proper height for conditions.

On another note, I almost have the rabbit problem under control. The old pellet gun has been wreaking havoc on them...

Comment

Im pretty sure the black dirt at my house isnt good for growing grass.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

For Bermuda, deep and infrequent (once a week) in the cooler growing months.. and 2 deep waterings a week from late June to early Septemberish or whenever it cools down..

I’d say same for St. Augustine as well but it likes a little water in the late afternoon too

Early morning is best time to water as with the sun all day you run less risk of a fungus.

Correct me if I’m wrong please
                    "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                      Im pretty sure the black dirt at my house isnt good for growing grass.
                      I have black dirt here, and the grass is fine. Just feed it, prevent weeds, and mow it to the correct height.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                        I have black dirt here, and the grass is fine. Just feed it, prevent weeds, and mow it to the correct height.
                        I dont feel like it's growing nearly as well in the areas where the sod wasnt laid, and it's never been really good, even with fertilizer and mowing. Parts are burning up, even with watering. Same for my trees.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I dont feel like it's growing nearly as well in the areas where the sod wasnt laid, and it's never been really good, even with fertilizer and mowing. Parts are burning up, even with watering. Same for my trees.
                          You may have an issue that stems from a specific mineral deficiency, or over abundance. Is this on new construction?

Comment

You may have an issue that stems from a specific mineral deficiency, or over abundance. Is this on new construction?
                            yeah, moved in in august 17. It was farmland.

Comment

yeah, moved in in august 17. It was farmland.
                              keep it clear of any weeds then early next spring go here https://www.silvercreekmaterials.com/soil-mixes/ and pick up a yd of premium top soil for $30 that'll get it jump started. Either sod or plugs. I've done both with excellent results

Comment

keep it clear of any weeds then early next spring go here https://www.silvercreekmaterials.com/soil-mixes/ and pick up a yd of premium top soil for $30 that'll get it jump started. Either sod or plugs. I've done both with excellent results
                                what's a yard going to do? I have an acre...

Comment

Working...
                                X