No announcement yet.

SHTF - Bug in Plan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem is if you live in the city you are fucked.. doesnt matter how stocked you are.. when the SHTF .. running water and electricity could go belly up... Also most houses arent really that defendable with no front fence and tons of windows all around..
    2016 250 Mini dozer

No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

Comment

Originally posted by White_lightning View Post
      The problem is if you live in the city you are fucked.. doesnt matter how stocked you are.. when the SHTF .. running water and electricity could go belly up... Also most houses arent really that defendable with no front fence and tons of windows all around..
      A warehouse with a water reclamation setup, and solar panels on the roof, would keep you pretty safe.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
        A warehouse with a water reclamation setup, and solar panels on the roof, would keep you pretty safe.
        or a costco!

Comment

We live about 45 minutes outside of the metroplex so any initial emergency there like rioting would give us a heads up before we were affected. At our old house before the move I was pretty well stocked up on water and canned food, but we used most of it before the move to lessen the amount of boxes I had to load. In the process of stocking back up, but if power goes out we are in town and water and sanitation is a concern. I really wanted 10 acres in the country but my wife was convinced she would be ax murdered in the country. Still plan on buying 10 to 20 acres to fuck around on and set up a small place to retreat to if needed but that is a couple years away.
          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

We have a location about 15 min from the house that is off the grid utility wise. My plan is to stay put long enough for things to calm down and make a break for it.
            Originally posted by Leah
            Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
              We have a location about 15 min from the house that is off the grid utility wise. My plan is to stay put long enough for things to calm down and make a break for it.
              i would have to make a list of which friends have a Bug out location.. and offer to bring all my guns and ammo in exchange for a place to stay
              2016 250 Mini dozer

No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

Comment

i would have to make a list of which friends have a Bug out location.. and offer to bring all my guns and ammo in exchange for a place to stay
                Just remember the DFWM challenge answers!

It is a family friend's place. Cattle, solar and diesel power, and from the road, it just looks like a metal building. The only problem with it is its vacinity to a major roadway
                Originally posted by Leah
                Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

It is a family friend's place. Cattle, solar and diesel power, and from the road, it just looks like a metal building. The only problem with it is its vacinity to a major roadway
                  while i dont have a REAl down and dirty Bug out vehicle... my wifes Expy is 4x4 and would work in a pinch
                  2016 250 Mini dozer

Comment

SHTF=on my way out of the city.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Was that ever finalized? Where's the list?

Water's my concern. There's a creek and pond nearby for Bug-In, and I have filters for it, but I've never tried that water source.

Unfortunately, my Bug-Out location has been encroached by suburbia. Two tracks of farmland were sold around it over the past 5 years and now there's housing on 3 sides! Grrr...
                      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Question: Dan Bishop
                        Challenge: Project Manager @ GE
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                          SHTF=on my way out of the city.
                          I think that hunkered down living on reserves and living smartly you can survive in an area like ours but neighborhoods might be tougher.

Think of it this way. Put a sign out claim "Ebola Quarantine" and who in their right mind would want to come in to take what you have?

Anyone with have a brain wouldn't let even their best friend into the house and would have to really evaluate closely, family.

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                          I'd assume most already know if they are staying home for anything. We were caught with our pants down on water though, lesson learned.
                          We got low on water too. Just bought 30 single gallon Ozarkas ($1 per) and 5 cases of bottled water. I still have a bunch of 5gl Ozarka/Sparklets. But I don't drink our tap water...too soft and I can't stand the taste. I drink individual bottle water on the go or use a gallon on the counter I drink from. So I use a lot already.

My thoughts:
                          The best way to survive something like Ebola is to "limit your exposure to maximize your protection". You can take that same thinking further and say that to keep 100% to yourself you will be just fine...infectious virus at least.
                          I don't see power/water being affected until it is completely out of hand and I mean bodies in the streets out of hand.

That said, every time you leave the house/vehicle you put yourself at risk. Those are your sanitized areas. So if you can eat from what you have in your house you don't have to leave. And if you already have a cache of easy to make foods, the more you have the longer you can stay to yourself.

Not saying you can't go to the store. Shelves may be bare in our area so you may find yourself driving a ways....so will everyone else with their pants down. But you can safely exist in society without getting infected. You may not be the most fashionable in your Tyvek suit, mask, goggles, gloves, etc. But at least you can. Of course get dressed out of the car...strip down out of the car into a plastic bag following the right order and taking your time to not introduce what is outside of your cover to your inside clothing or skin.

Need gas, use gloves and don't cross contaminate shit.

Don't mass transit, ANYWHERE or ANY MEANS. Why introduce yourself to fucks you don't know or don't know who they know, etc.

Already have a room in your house ready for anyone of you who gets sick. Water, food, clothing, bedding, plastic bags, plastic bags, portable toilet, cleaning supplies, etc. You can always pass in, just not out but the limited time you have to open up to pass in the better you will be.

Life for a few months is going to suck. You have decide if it is worth your life and your families life if you continue to go to work. Can you and your wife both quit and pay your bills for 6-12 months and then find work when this blows over?

I am on community well which does run on power but at least we only have to worry about 1 vs 2 systems being effected. That and we have roughly 1/4 of the houses here with their own private wells. Again, power would be an issue but a generator is simple to power a pump with.

All that said, I am leaving for a fucking 7 day floating petri dish this weekend. Hope my house sitter doesn't has the ebola and hope we don't catch it on the ship either. If this was a month from now and all things staying the same course from today, fuck no I wouldn't be going.
                          Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                            Go to Keith for 5.11 pants!
                            Pro tip: I may have plenty of pants but the passwords CJ posted are no longer valid here.
                            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I think a sign would deter low level crime. But a criminal that thinks they're smart or wont get the virus wont be deterred because at that point they may think the occupants are dead or in a weakened state.

They other unintended result could be hysteria driven arson to cleanse the neighborhood of any contamination

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                                I think a sign would deter low level crime. But a criminal that thinks they're smart or wont get the virus wont be deterred because at that point they may think the occupants are dead or in a weakened state.

They other unintended result could be hysteria driven arson to cleanse the neighborhood of any contamination
                                They'll just piss in a rag and rubber band it to their face. You're greatly over estimating the intelligence of looters.

Comment

Working...
                                X