No announcement yet.

10mm love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread reminds me I need to go shoot the S&W 1076 that's been sitting in my safe for almost four years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
      With what Underwood and Buffalo Bore offer, I don't think handloading is going to be necessary as they already make some impressive stuff.
      The cheapest factory ammo I can find is about $.50 per round. It looks like you can make your own for $.03 (primer) + $.03 (heaviest powder charge, at $30/pound) + $.07 (plated bullet) + $.0243 (case, new from Starline, bought at $243 and loaded 10 times): $.1543 per round at the bottom, almost $20 savings per box of 50. Add $.12 per bullet for XTPs (cheaper jacketed bullets may be available) and $.0243 if the cases only last 5 loadings, but that's still $.30 per round, or $.20 per round better than factory ammo: $10 savings per box of 50.
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        This thread reminds me I need to go shoot the S&W 1076 that's been sitting in my safe for almost four years.
        Nice! The FBI gun!

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
        The cheapest factory ammo I can find is about $.50 per round. It looks like you can make your own for $.03 (primer) + $.03 (heaviest powder charge, at $30/pound) + $.07 (plated bullet) + $.0243 (case, new from Starline, bought at $243 and loaded 10 times): $.1543 per round at the bottom, almost $20 savings per box of 50. Add $.12 per bullet for XTPs (cheaper jacketed bullets may be available) and $.0243 if the cases only last 5 loadings, but that's still $.30 per round, or $.20 per round better than factory ammo: $10 savings per box of 50.
        Oh I'm not doubting that there is a big cost savings involved. But let me put it to you another way, factor in the cost of the reloading equipment vs. buying maybe two hundred rounds from Buffalo Bore or Underwood and maybe you will see my point for right now.

I do eventually want to get into reloading. But I need to do some research into how much of an investment it's going to be for me and what's the best equipment to get for my needs. Not only to shoot 10mm but everything I shoot. I've got room at my house and already an area that I want to use but I want to build a work bench once I know what equipment I need to have on it.

Comment

Right on. I wouldn't own half the calibers I do if I didn't reload.
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Jose, I am waiting on my CZ-75BD to be finished by Cajun Gun Works. My next gun will be the EAA WITNESS LMTD MATCH 10MM SA C 15R. I will evaluate the CGW mods and determine if it is worth it. To swap out all internals and make it a "match" 9mm on my CZ-75, it is about the cost of the gun and a six month wait.

Comment

I do eventually want to get into reloading. But I need to do some research into how much of an investment it's going to be for me and what's the best equipment to get for my needs. Not only to shoot 10mm but everything I shoot. I've got room at my house and already an area that I want to use but I want to build a work bench once I know what equipment I need to have on it.
              I think this is a good kit for someone starting out.

or this one:
              Last edited by S_K; 09-06-2016, 11:56 AM. Reason: wrong url

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
                Jose, I am waiting on my CZ-75BD to be finished by Cajun Gun Works. My next gun will be the EAA WITNESS LMTD MATCH 10MM SA C 15R. I will evaluate the CGW mods and determine if it is worth it. To swap out all internals and make it a "match" 9mm on my CZ-75, it is about the cost of the gun and a six month wait.
                Don't bother with the CGW "Upgrades". The gun shoots just the same after they do their thing as it did before they messed with it; you are just out almost $600.

I have the single action Witness match 10mm and love it and you will love it too. My only bitch about it is that the magazines are not as good as the rest of the gun.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I've been researching bear defense recently and whats best

10mm is the absolute minimum caliber for bear protection...a .338 or .375 rifle will be your best bet on bear defense...Hell, Ive read some even carry shotguns with 00 buck for their first couple of rounds and slugs for their final shots...

Oh and the whole I will just carry a larger back-up weapon for when my 10mm doesn't cut it, doesn't work that way, that Bear is going to be on top of you in less then 5 seconds

or you could just carry the best defense - Bear Spray!

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
                    I've been researching bear defense recently and whats best

10mm is the absolute minimum caliber for bear protection...a .338 or .375 rifle will be your best bet on bear defense...Hell, Ive read some even carry shotguns with 00 buck for their first couple of rounds and slugs for their final shots...

Oh and the whole I will just carry a larger back-up weapon for when my 10mm doesn't cut it, doesn't work that way, that Bear is going to be on top of you in less then 5 seconds

Same here as well the past couple of summers when I've gone camping up in New Mexico. But realistically, the chance encounter and the unlikelihood that I would carry a rifle with me would have me leaning towards bear spray personally. Maybe if I was in Alaska or somewhere further up north I would lean towards carrying a rifle. But for where I go, the 10mm is more convenient and at least being a Glock I can mag dump (hopefully!) on whatever is attacking me

Comment

Same here as well the past couple of summers when I've gone camping up in New Mexico. But realistically, the chance encounter and the unlikelihood that I would carry a rifle with me would have me leaning towards bear spray personally. Maybe if I was in Alaska or somewhere further up north I would lean towards carrying a rifle. But for where I go, the 10mm is more convenient and at least being a Glock I can mag dump (hopefully!) on whatever is attacking me
                      right!

they say the only way of stopping a charging bear is a shot to the head or spine...I think I have a pretty good chance of a hit with 15rnds of 10mm

Comment

right!

they say the only way of stopping a charging bear is a shot to the head or spine...I think I have a pretty good chance of a hit with 15rnds of 10mm
                        Did you read the story I linked on the first post?

Comment

Hell, Ive read some even carry shotguns with 00 buck for their first couple of rounds and slugs for their final shots...

OO buck would be a very poor choice; is simply doesn't have enough penetration. The Highway Department in AK gives work crews G20s with 200gr Hornady XTP max loads and Mossberg 590A1s with 3" Brenneke Black Magic slugs. The slugs are said to have 100% penetration from almost any angle on a normal size bear.

I keep bear spray at home and in my truck. It works better then wasp spray for fucking someone up.
                          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                            Don't bother with the CGW "Upgrades". The gun shoots just the same after they do their thing as it did before they messed with it; you are just out almost $600.

I have the single action Witness match 10mm and love it and you will love it too. My only bitch about it is that the magazines are not as good as the rest of the gun.
                            One of the main reasons is to reduce the DA to less than 5lbs and reduces the "take-up" to almost nothing for follow up shots. You might be right in it being not worth it. I shot my bud's SP-01 done by CGW ant it was unbelievably smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
                              One of the main reasons is to reduce the DA to less than 5lbs and reduces the "take-up" to almost nothing for follow up shots. You might be right in it being not worth it. I shot my bud's SP-01 done by CGW ant it was unbelievably smooth.
                              There is nothing magical about a trigger job. For what they charge you can get a top grade honing fixture and the required adapters for your particular model and do it yourself. This is what I did years ago and it was the wisest purchase of my life. To get rid of the "Grit" in the action you can polish it a little bit and then fill the action with tooth paste and dry fire it a few hundred times. It will also smooth out the slide to frame fit but you do not have to cycle it nearly as much. I do this on nearly every gun that I buy; the trigger job gets done last.

Comment

They do a little more than just polishing the grit out of the trigger. --- Adds the excellent 85C trigger with single action over travel adjustment. CGW sets this for you and loctites the set screw in place. The 85C is also the basis for our famous Reach Reduction Kit, easily one of our most popular upgrades with several thousand in continuous, reliable service. The RRK permanently moves the trigger rearward an amazing 5mm’s, with the hammer in the fully forward position. The difference is dramatic. Lastly the TriPlex includes our famous “hybrid” disconnector. This disconnector limits the triggers total travel in single action to an amazing 4mm’s total. The TriPlex is the ultimate evolution of the CZ trigger mechanism and is a CGW exclusive. This entire system adds approximately $88.00 to the cost of the Defensive Carry Package.

The Pro-Package delivers a very smooth and light DA, yet is 100% reliable , produces a crisp, safe, single action, very short SA reset, rearward relocated trigger 5mm’s so now the trigger is in the right place. Lastly, the SA trigger movement to limited to only 4mm’s total. The Pro-Package is for shooters that are looking for the ultimate CZ upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                                X