No announcement yet.

garage floor paint - done it yourself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garage floor paint - done it yourself?

So due to a storm a few months ago and a leak in my garage, i am getting a new roof and ceiling repaired in the garage through insurance. They are going to repaint and retexture entire garage so i thought perfect time to go ahead and do garage floor also.

The same company doing the roof and other work was going to charge 1500$ to paint the floor. I am sure they acid wash it and use top dollar paint and sealer...but who has done this yourself?

I know home depot / lowes both have a type of garage concrete paint and rustoleum makes a kit also. Anyone done this yourself? Worth the time and effort, does it last? What type of prep does the floor need?

Baron is in the process now with his shop.
    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

ok thanks. Curious about how well it works and how slippery it is when wet?

Comment

Im by far any sort of expert. The product you choose makes almost as much difference as the amount of prep you do. I spent 4 hours saturday dancing with a floor buffer with a diamond girding wheel on it. Currently Im waiting a week for the concrete to dry from pressure washing.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Prep prep prep. If someone says they can clean it one day and paint it the next they need to move on. Why would you assume they use top dollar product? I did mine myself 4 years ago and the product alone was 650-700 area for a 2 car garage. I did not use any traction additive and while its awesome you had better be cautious when wet.

Comment

I did it previously with some of the stuff from lowes, it turned out ok and lasted a couple of years before it started chipping. I have seen others that used rustoleum floor kits and it didn't even make it a year before peeling. It's all in the prep, but using a higher quality product makes the real difference.

Comment

I'll use U-Coat-it if I ever do it. But I'll pay somebody else cause I don't wanna do that shit. And I'll make sure it has some traction stuff in it.
              WH

Comment

On my old shop i used a 2 part industrial paint from Sherwin Williams. It held up nicely except where I welded and it burnt it.
                2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
                  Prep prep prep. If someone says they can clean it one day and paint it the next they need to move on. Why would you assume they use top dollar product? I did mine myself 4 years ago and the product alone was 650-700 area for a 2 car garage. I did not use any traction additive and while its awesome you had better be cautious when wet.
                  The company that we use preps and lays the base coat and "paint paint chips" for traction one day, and come back the next to put the clear coat on top. The floors that I have had done show little to no signs of wear several years down the road. I will say that these are new homes, so they have not seen much in the way of oil or traffic short of a skid steer and some trash over the course of a few months.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Did mine with a Home Depot kit. Worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                      The company that we use preps and lays the base coat and "paint paint chips" for traction one day, and come back the next to put the clear coat on top. The floors that I have had done show little to no signs of wear several years down the road. I will say that these are new homes, so they have not seen much in the way of oil or traffic short of a skid steer and some trash over the course of a few months.
                      Yes that's understandable for new concrete.

Comment

A buddy did his with a Home Depot kit and it looks like jtotin’s. It looks great but slick when wet and no UV protection. He did about 2-3” past the garage door and it’s started yellowing.

Comment

What can be doen to avoid slippery when wet, any of them have an actually antiskid factor?

Comment

I paid a guy that does garage floor coatings for a living. Looks way better than I would of ever done.

Comment

Yeah I priced out people to do my garage but they all wanted 800-1000 bucks. I spent 100.00 on this kit and it will work great.

Even the project mustang on these rollers it rolls around great and doesn’t leave scuffs. I’m sure welding will be a different story. But it should be good enough. And worst case in a couple of years, I go back over it again and do it better next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X