86 GT LSX Turbo Main Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86 GT LSX Turbo Main Build Thread

** Please note that reading through the thread may seem redundant because every update I have added to the thread over the year I have condensed and added to the first page post. This is so people that haven't been following don't have to read through all the pages to catch up. **

Well, plans change. I was planning on building my Highschool car, but I've wanted CRASH's four-eye for a long time and finally got a chance to get my hands on it as a roller. It has a Built 31sp rear, Maximum Motorsports suspension, AJE tubular K, Team Z A arms, Front Coilovers and a host of other goodies. Plan is to swap my 4.8 LS and 4l60 in it with a single turbo and try to make 600rw on 93. I plan on parting the black car and harvesting some of the interior for the fox (seats, carpet, steering wheel).

Here is the car:

Motor is a 2007 Ly2 4.8L with 79K. Came with everything I need to swap it in down to gas pedal and o2 sensors. This is a gen 4 motor that didn't have afm or dod. It makes 290/325 to the flywheel.

Here are both cars-

Pulled the motor back out of the black car. It is getting an F-body oil pan kit that has been laying in my garage forever.

Tonight we swapped in the AJE Tubular K member from the black car. I'll be relocating battery to the trunk and cleaning up the engine bay as soon as I can. Weather fucking sucks lately.

New Seats to accompany new black carpet/ seat delete is next for interior

Car is stripped- unfortunately I've got to wait to install the carpet and seats until after we do the wiring

Motor with harness- First thing was to get all the harness off

Time to get to work!

Pulled truck intake to test fit car intake in case we couldn't make truck intake fit- Motor is a gen 4 so no water pump issues -
    Last edited by Cobraman; 07-19-2015, 10:44 PM.
    2012 GT500

I had the ls muscle car pan (hummer H3) but it doesn't give enough clearance. F-body pan was what I needed.

Decided that truck intake will make life easy - if it would fit. After lots of work we were convinced we couldn't make it work with the stock hood until I realized that with DBW I could flip the throttle body over and that gave us the clearance we needed

While waiting on some parts, I decided not to waste a weekend.

Pulled motor back out and stripped all the front accessories off.

Prepping for paint was a bitch

Sanded and primed

First coat

After paint and clear

It isn't a professional job, but it looks pretty damn good imo. Still working on front accesories.

Last edited by Cobraman; 07-19-2015, 10:40 PM.
    2012 GT500

Comment

Fast Forward a bit. Motor with ict billet alternator relocation bracket, belts, radiator hoses, etc

Exhaust is Hedman Midlengths, Bassani X pipe, Mac Catback

Latest updates. Couldn't start the car due to VATS being enabled. James should be by tomorrow to fix the tune and it should be ready to run. Waiting for a new shift cable bracket and a trans dust cover this week. Interior is still gutted, but I'll work on that after it is out of Doug's garage. Also still needs the exhaust welded up and a few clean up/image enhancements under the hood.

We are going to swap the blue coupler and air filter out - just temporary. Managed to get a good amount of the harness hidden - still lots to go though - will get more loom and finish the rest.

First Oil fill

C5 Vette shifter

Monte carlo drive by wire pedal. Truck one didn't fit well.

James from Ls Tuner helped us tune and troubleshoot

First drive ended in a massive fuel leak. Fixed. Update tomorrow.

As of this moment I have $5,882 in the drivetrain swap + $3,000 car. I'll post my spreadsheet after it is mostly done for anyone who wants to tackle the same project.

To Do's

- Full Tune
      - alignment
      - buy Florida 5.0 Gauge Piece
      - Gauges
      Last edited by Cobraman; 07-28-2015, 03:30 PM.
      2012 GT500

Comment

placeholder...

Comment

Placeholder

Comment

All that work in the black one to strip it back down, damn. But that four eye looks too good to have passed up. And the color too, fuck yeah

Comment

Donde est el skinnies?
              Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Cup holder
                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I have watched that 4 eye change hands since 2007 when I almost bought it but the owner then backed out at the last minute.

Have fun with the build.
                  Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Love the 4 eye, good choice
                    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                      Donde est el skinnies?
                      Haven't picked then up from Aaron yet.
                      2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                        I have watched that 4 eye change hands since 2007 when I almost bought it but the owner then backed out at the last minute.

Have fun with the build.
                        Very much the same with me. It was at the first meet I came out to when I was 16 and I've always said I would own it. Luckily it ended up back with Aaron so I could get it.
                        2012 GT500

Comment

Sounds like a slutty stang. Maybe ill get a turn one day

Comment

There have been quite a few sluts on this board. This just happens to be one of the car versions.

So all youll really need is a trans since the car had a decent rear?

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                              There have been quite a few sluts on this board. This just happens to be one of the car versions.

So all youll really need is a trans since the car had a decent rear?
                              Green car needs subframes, torque box work, and some uca's to be 100%. I've got a 4l60 for it to eventually be traded for a t56 or tko600.
                              2012 GT500

Comment

Working...
                              X