Still making noise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still making noise!

I've had this truck since 2001. It's loud enough to make you vomit up on the high end and soo windy down low it may just float a baby. Here's this years upgrades! Pulling about 2000a of current clamping 18k watts and still holding 13v. The Lithium tech is great. 155DB@20hz 158DB@25hz 160.2DB@38hz

sigpic

RIP hearing
    WRX

Comment

I remember you bringing it to a few gtgs and it used to BOOM back then, I can only imagine how it sounds now...
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

yeah, is it safe to sit in there? lol

Comment

I'd like to see that in person. God damn!

Comment

Originally posted by D. Lil View Post
            No shit. Flashing back to whatever commercial that was...

"I'm no internist, but I think I got some bleeding goin' on..."

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
              I'd like to see that in person. God damn!
              That makes two of us
              Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

I laugh at the fact that any door ding you get just gets shook out straight...

Comment

18K watts?!?!?

That's like 24hp! That's like an entire smart car engine to power your sound system alone. Badass.

Comment

Originally posted by D. Lil View Post
                    sure, I dont think death happens until the 180db range...lol

Comment

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
                        sure, I dont think death happens until the 180db range...lol
                        from "the internet"

A couple things. First, above 194 dB, it's hard to call it a "sound wave" anymore, as that's where you start getting shockwaves. In a shockwave, the "floor" of the pressure wave is negative (which is why when an explosive shock wave passes over you, you get a lot of overpressure followed by a lot of underpressure.

When discussing damage from shockwaves, there are two things you want to look at: the amount of overpressure, and its duration. The more those increase, the more damage will occur.

As for fatality, it varies widely based on position of the person (side-on vs face-on vs top-on), but the most widely cited values are in the 60-80 psi overpressure range. There is evidence from Army research that repeated exposure to sub-fatal blasts can be fatal, just as repeated exposure to non-injurious blasts can be injurious.

At lower overpressures (even as low as 5 psi overpressure) you can start seeing things like eardrum rupture. Slightly higher you get GI tract hemorrhaging and lung lesions. In small amounts, these are subclinical, but in larger amounts, it can quickly cause real problems.

For further reading, the term in literature you're looking for is "blast injury". A lot of the publication on the subject comes from the 40s-60s, especially from the American atomic tests.
                        But dB is logarithmic, so, he probably won't die. Probably

For reference, the sound pressure of a 30.06 is 1.05 psi.

3dB is two times the sound energy
                        6dB is two times the sound effect
                        10dB is percieved as twice as loud
                        193 dB = 1019 times the reference point
                        100 dB = 1010 times the reference point
                        50 dB = 100,000 times the reference point
                        10 dB = 10 times the reference point
                        198dB is the loudest sound that can be produced. Since sound is the densification and thinning of air, or really air molecules, 198dB is the loudest sound that can be produced before the thinnest part is nothing but vacuum. Yes, air pressure can be bigger, e.g with an explosion, but that is not really the same thing as a sound, and would not be percieved as sound but that is of course a question of definition.

Also, dB is a reference scale. Meaning 0 dB is the same as the reference, not just "nothing". The most used dB scale is the "Sound Pressure Level" or SPL where 0 dB SPL equals 20 mikro pascal.

150 decibels is usually considered enough to burst your eardrums, but the threshold for death is usually pegged at around 185-200 dB. A passenger car driving by at 25 feet is about 60 dB, being next to a jackhammer or lawn mower is around 100 dB, a nearby chainsaw is 120 dB. Generally, 150 dB (eardrum rupture) is only achieved if you stand really close to a jet aircraft during take-off or you’re near an explosive blast.

If you actually wanted to intentionally kill someone with a sonic weapon, there isn’t a whole lot of research on how you would actually go about doing it. The general consensus is that a loud enough sound could cause an air embolism in your lungs, which then travels to your heart and kills you. Alternatively, your lungs might simply burst from the increased air pressure. (Acoustic energy is just waves of varying sound pressure; the higher the energy, the higher the pressure, the louder the sound.) In some cases, where there’s some kind of underlying physical weakness, loud sounds might cause a seizure or heart attack — but there’s very little evidence to suggest this.
                        This is a fun rabbit hole to go down. Kinda surprised there aren't any Japanese Unit 731 experiments on this from back in WWII.

Comment

Probably like 90% of the other cars rolling around with massive stereos. $5000 stereo in a $2000 vehicle rolling on “rent-a-tires”.....

Comment

I was at the gas station earlier and told my wife "thank God no one gives a fuck about bass contests anymore," then here you are.

Comment

To each their own. Guess I prefer the sounds of fat cams and Flowmsters over the boom booms.

Comment

Working...
                              X