Select outlets don't have power...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Select outlets don't have power...

I'm scratching my head here, and I'm hoping that you can give me some ideas of what else to check. The outlets in just the master, guest bath, and back patio don't have power to them. I've checked the breakers, and all GFCI outlets, what am I missing? The lights and fans in all three areas work if that's of any consequence, is there a special hidden GFCI somewhere that I haven't found?

Sounds like a loose wire or bad gfi.
    In one circuit power will go to one outlet (on gfi circuits the gfi will be the first one) then jumper to the next downline. So you must find the power from the circuit breaker to first outlet in the circuit.

Do you have a multimeter?
    i would pull the outlets out from the wall and check the gfi outlet at the line in wire. Then check the load wire out.
    Last edited by beefed88; 05-25-2018, 08:46 AM.
    2006 Civic SI
    2009 Pilot
    1988 GT
    CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

check gfci's in bathrooms nearby

Comment

Should be one in the garage about 4' above the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
          I'm scratching my head here, and I'm hoping that you can give me some ideas of what else to check. The outlets in just the master, guest bath, and back patio don't have power to them. I've checked the breakers, and all GFCI outlets, what am I missing? The lights and fans in all three areas work if that's of any consequence, is there a special hidden GFCI somewhere that I haven't found?
          Did you manually flip the breakers or just eyeball them? They don't always flip.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I've checked all of the GFCI's that I could find, none have been tripped, so I'm leaning towards a bad outlet.

I'll check the load out for the GFCI in the garage first, that ones the closest proximity to the outdoor outlets and the master bath. There's one in the master closet, though I suspect that one is solely for the jacuzzi tub, as it still works.

Now the head scratcher is the hall bath, as it's at the front of the house, with outlets on either side working fine. Though the outlet just on the other side of the front door has one of the two plugs that doesn't work, and it's not tied to a switch. I guess I can start there, as the likely culprit for the hall bath, and maybe I'll get lucky that it fixes them all, but that would tie outlets from opposite ends of the house, so probably two separate issues.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
              Did you manually flip the breakers or just eyeball them? They don't always flip.
              Manual test and back on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                Manual test and back on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                Does that mean it is fixed? LOL

If not, my shed was giving me fits one time. Turned out the white wire was loose in the panel. Electrical is easy. Kind of. I actually had a breaker go bad not long ago also. I would flip it and it still wouldn't fire them up. A 110 electrical pen is awesome. Put it near power and it beeps. Easy way to find where it dies off at.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Try turning the breakers off and back on.

And like everyone else said, it could be a GFCI that needs to be reset somewhere else on the same circuit.

Comment

I figured I'd update the thread, just in case somebody goes searching. Turns out to be two unrelated issues. First is that I've found several plugs in the house that half work, the top or bottom outlet has power, but the other doesn't. Everything's getting replaced with new decora outlets and switches, so problem solved.

The second issue was that there is a second GFI in the garage, hidden behind my toolbox, and I just didn't remember it being there. I actually found it while doing something completely unrelated in the area, and yes, it is connected to the guest bathroom at the opposite end of the house, with a kitchen in between on it's own GFI.

Comment

Someone broke the tabs off the electrical outlets to split the top from bottom. Sometimes people do this to make one outlet a switched outlet. Luckily you found the issue. Cheap to fix.

And that GFCI is the reason I rewired my house myself. I didnt want janky crap like that. Each room has its own power and light circuit. Each bathroom has its own GFCI circuit.

Comment

Working...
                      X